Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DVD Authoring and Burning program?

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD Authoring and Burning program?

 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2007
I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
their home movies, and authoring to DVD?

I was using Nero 6 but have been having a lot of problems so am
thinking of switching.

I've been looking at a lot of different website for different programs
for example:

DVD Lab
Pinnacle Studio 11
Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
Pegasys DVD Author 3
Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6

Anyone have any preferences/recommendation for a decent bug free non
bulky good value highly compatible efficient product for editing and
authoring your own home movies to DVD? What gives the best bang for
your buck?

John


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2007
John wrote:
>
>I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
>their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>
>DVD Lab
>Pinnacle Studio 11
>Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
>Pegasys DVD Author 3
>Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6


I use Pegasys DVD Author 3, but then it's not really a full blown
movie editor. It's more a DVD authoring package that allows for some
simple near-lossless MPEG cutting and pasting. If you want full
frame-by-frame time-line editing then that's not what it does. But
if you want to simply transfer existing DVD or Sky STB material
(via a DVD recorder) and remove ads down to frame accuracy, then
it's first class.

Regards

Mark

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2007
On 14 Aug 2007 02:00:03 -0700, Mark A <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>John wrote:
>>
>>I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
>>their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>>
>>DVD Lab
>>Pinnacle Studio 11
>>Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
>>Pegasys DVD Author 3
>>Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6

>
>I use Pegasys DVD Author 3, but then it's not really a full blown
>movie editor. It's more a DVD authoring package that allows for some
>simple near-lossless MPEG cutting and pasting. If you want full
>frame-by-frame time-line editing then that's not what it does. But
>if you want to simply transfer existing DVD or Sky STB material
>(via a DVD recorder) and remove ads down to frame accuracy, then
>it's first class.


If you need to do both what would you recommend? Would you buy DVD
Author and a separate movie editor or is there one package that can do
both and is pretty good?

John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Cathy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2007
Ulead Video Studio may do what you want...there is a free trial.

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
> their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>
> I was using Nero 6 but have been having a lot of problems so am
> thinking of switching.
>
> I've been looking at a lot of different website for different programs
> for example:
>
> DVD Lab
> Pinnacle Studio 11
> Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
> Pegasys DVD Author 3
> Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6
>
> Anyone have any preferences/recommendation for a decent bug free non
> bulky good value highly compatible efficient product for editing and
> authoring your own home movies to DVD? What gives the best bang for
> your buck?
>
> John
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Maltby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2007

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 14 Aug 2007 02:00:03 -0700, Mark A <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>John wrote:
>>>
>>>I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
>>>their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>>>
>>>DVD Lab
>>>Pinnacle Studio 11
>>>Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
>>>Pegasys DVD Author 3
>>>Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6

>>
>>I use Pegasys DVD Author 3, but then it's not really a full blown
>>movie editor. It's more a DVD authoring package that allows for some
>>simple near-lossless MPEG cutting and pasting. If you want full
>>frame-by-frame time-line editing then that's not what it does. But
>>if you want to simply transfer existing DVD or Sky STB material
>>(via a DVD recorder) and remove ads down to frame accuracy, then
>>it's first class.

>
> If you need to do both what would you recommend? Would you buy DVD
> Author and a separate movie editor or is there one package that can do
> both and is pretty good?
>
> John
>


You don't mention the format of the "home movie" footage
that you want to edit. You could check out an editing program
that can handle both DV and MPEG, a good choice for
"home movies" would be something like Ulead's VideoStudio.
Check the tool listings at www.videohelp.com

Luck;
Ken



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2007
John wrote:
>
> If you need to do both what would you recommend? Would you buy DVD
> Author and a separate movie editor or is there one package that can do
> both and is pretty good?


Sorry, I don't edit home movies so I don't have any experience. I do
know I tried earlier versions of Ulead's Video Studio and was surprised
at how poor it's menuing and authoring side was. It's probably got a lot
better now though.

Regards

Mark
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Maltby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007

"Mark A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
>>
>> If you need to do both what would you recommend? Would you buy DVD
>> Author and a separate movie editor or is there one package that can do
>> both and is pretty good?

>
> Sorry, I don't edit home movies so I don't have any experience. I do
> know I tried earlier versions of Ulead's Video Studio and was surprised
> at how poor it's menuing and authoring side was. It's probably got a lot
> better now though.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark


As someone who is very familiar with TDA and who
has always discouraged trying to author with an editing
package, I also feel that a dedicated DVD authoring
program is the much better approach. But, there has
been some real improvement in the authoring function
of VideoStudio, to include 16:9 menus. I agree that
it is not as versatile or intuitive as TDA, and that I would
certainly continue to use TDA for any routine DVD
production, for the way it fits into a good workflow.

For someone with camcorder footage, that can benefit
from editing, though; VideoStudio offers a reasonably
good DVD creation process. Of course there is nothing
to prevent editing in VideoStudio then rendering the
movie as DVD compliant MPEG, for authoring in a
dedicated authoring program.

Luck;
Ken


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rock Troll
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:20:02 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 14 Aug 2007 02:00:03 -0700, Mark A <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>John wrote:
>>>>
>>>>I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
>>>>their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>>>>
>>>>DVD Lab
>>>>Pinnacle Studio 11
>>>>Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
>>>>Pegasys DVD Author 3
>>>>Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6
>>>
>>>I use Pegasys DVD Author 3, but then it's not really a full blown
>>>movie editor. It's more a DVD authoring package that allows for some
>>>simple near-lossless MPEG cutting and pasting. If you want full
>>>frame-by-frame time-line editing then that's not what it does. But
>>>if you want to simply transfer existing DVD or Sky STB material
>>>(via a DVD recorder) and remove ads down to frame accuracy, then
>>>it's first class.

>>
>> If you need to do both what would you recommend? Would you buy DVD
>> Author and a separate movie editor or is there one package that can do
>> both and is pretty good?
>>
>> John
>>

>
> You don't mention the format of the "home movie" footage
>that you want to edit. You could check out an editing program
>that can handle both DV and MPEG, a good choice for
>"home movies" would be something like Ulead's VideoStudio.
>Check the tool listings at www.videohelp.com
>
>Luck;
> Ken
>
>

I've been making some DVD's of our old home movies, mostly old VHS
tapes but I'll be doing some eventually with Hi8. I'm mainly just
creating a DVD of the old home movies. I'm not doing a lot of
"creative" stuff with the movies. I just hook my VCR up to my Magnavox
DVD Recorder which I got from Sam's Club for $82.00 and record
straight to DVD. I then copy the VOB files to my computer and edit the
VOB files into separate MPG-2 files using VideoReDo v1.6.0.243. I then
use TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6.34.89 to make the DVD and then burn it
with Nero Burning ROM v6. Since I'm not trying to be fancy I don't
need a lot of transitions, or other film effects. I'm just trying to
convert VHS and Hi8 tape to DVD's.

I have tried a lot of the Movie Editing software out there. Sony Vegas
is very good. Pretty complicated but after the steep learning curve
very powerful. Sonic MyDVD is one of the first ones that I got and
since it would only acknowledge (on the version I got) that DVD's were
2hrs in length and to bad if your MPG files were at a different bit
rate (for a longer movie) it would reencode everything to the standard
that it wanted. I haven't kept up with the newer versions since. Some
people swear by it, I just swear at it.

I have edited some nice movies with Ulead Video Studio 8. The one
thing that I really like about it is the Ken Burns effect that you can
do with your still photos. If you've ever seen any of Ken Burns
documentaries particularly Civil War you'll know what I'm talking
about. Pan and scan and zoom on photos can make nice additions to a
movie if you don't actually have any movie to edit. It has a boat load
of transitions and effects that you can transition between clips and
still photos and you can add in some nice moving text, (including if I
remember right the classic Star Wars text scrolling into the far
reaches of space. It's easy and very nicely done. You can throw still
photos at it and combine it with video's and add sound effects and a
sound track. You can even add in mutiple sound tracks if you want to
have a narration track. If you want to be "creative" in your movie
editing I'd recommend Ulead Video Studio. I haven't used the newest
version, but if it hasn't been turned into bloatware I'd give it a
try.

Hope this gives you a little info to think about.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007
Rock Troll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6.34.89 to make the DVD and
>then burn it with Nero Burning ROM v6.


<snip>

Just curious: why don't you use 1.6's own burning facility? So far,
after making maybe 50 or so short family DVDs, I've had no failures.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
Telstar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> "Mark A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John wrote:
>>>
>>> If you need to do both what would you recommend? Would you buy DVD
>>> Author and a separate movie editor or is there one package that can do
>>> both and is pretty good?

>>
>> Sorry, I don't edit home movies so I don't have any experience. I do
>> know I tried earlier versions of Ulead's Video Studio and was surprised
>> at how poor it's menuing and authoring side was. It's probably got a lot
>> better now though.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Mark

>
> As someone who is very familiar with TDA and who
> has always discouraged trying to author with an editing
> package, I also feel that a dedicated DVD authoring
> program is the much better approach. But, there has
> been some real improvement in the authoring function
> of VideoStudio, to include 16:9 menus. I agree that
> it is not as versatile or intuitive as TDA, and that I would
> certainly continue to use TDA for any routine DVD
> production, for the way it fits into a good workflow.
>
> For someone with camcorder footage, that can benefit
> from editing, though; VideoStudio offers a reasonably
> good DVD creation process. Of course there is nothing
> to prevent editing in VideoStudio then rendering the
> movie as DVD compliant MPEG, for authoring in a
> dedicated authoring program.
>
> Luck;
> Ken
>
>


Therefore, I would encourage the OP to check out MovieFactory 6. It has
fewer editing functions, but the DVD authoring component is better than
VideoStudio, IMO.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a easy-to-use disc authoring and burning software windhello DVD Video 0 08-02-2009 04:40 PM
which consumer DVD authoring software can produce DVD showing date/time encoded on DV tape? someone@somewhere.com DVD Video 0 02-22-2008 07:51 PM
A dvd authoring and burning question Novice DVD Video 3 10-11-2005 03:00 PM
DVD Authoring program that treats each movie on a DVD as a serperate movie ? Son Of Sheep. DVD Video 2 07-10-2005 09:01 PM
DVD Authoring program that treats each movie on a DVD as a serperate movie ? Son Of Sheep. DVD Video 0 07-10-2005 06:31 PM



Advertisments