Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2960 Port Monitoring

2960 Port Monitoring

Wackamo

I am looking for some assistance setting up port monitoring on a 2960
switch via a web interface. I have setup port monitoring on other
Cisco switches and believe I used the web interface to do so as I am
not familiar with the CLI. However, I went all throught the 2960 web
interface and found no reference to port monitoring, port mirrorring
or SPAN. I am using Colasoft Capsa network monitoring software and
want to view all the lan/wan/internet traffic.

Thank you in advance.

Trendkill

On Aug 13, 5:47 pm, Wackamo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am looking for some assistance setting up port monitoring on a 2960
> switch via a web interface. I have setup port monitoring on other
> Cisco switches and believe I used the web interface to do so as I am
> not familiar with the CLI. However, I went all throught the 2960 web
> interface and found no reference to port monitoring, port mirrorring
> or SPAN. I am using Colasoft Capsa network monitoring software and
> want to view all the lan/wan/internet traffic.
>
> Thank you in advance.

You use the 'monitor' command on those I believe:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1036816

Wackamo

On Aug 13, 5:51 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 5:47 pm, Wackamo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am looking for some assistance setting up port monitoring on a 2960
> > switch via a web interface. I have setup port monitoring on other
> > Cisco switches and believe I used the web interface to do so as I am
> > not familiar with the CLI. However, I went all throught the 2960 web
> > interface and found no reference to port monitoring, port mirrorring
> > or SPAN. I am using Colasoft Capsa network monitoring software and
> > want to view all the lan/wan/internet traffic.

> > Thank you in advance.

> You use the 'monitor' command on those I believe:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...figuration_gui...

Trendkill,

TNX for response. I see that I can configure this with CLI but I was
hoping to set it up with the Web Interface as I am not familiar with
the CLI.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

On 13 Aug, 22:47, Wackamo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am looking for some assistance setting up port monitoring on a 2960
> switch via a web interface. I have setup port monitoring on other
> Cisco switches and believe I used the web interface to do so as I am
> not familiar with the CLI. However, I went all throught the 2960 web
> interface and found no reference to port monitoring, port mirrorring
> or SPAN. I am using Colasoft Capsa network monitoring software and
> want to view all the lan/wan/internet traffic.
>
> Thank you in advance.

The CLI is pretty straightforward. I get the idea
that not too many people here use the web thing.

All you need to type is

en
<your.password>
conf t
monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/2
monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/5
end

sw02>enable
!! Do password stuff
sw02#config terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNT
sw02(config)#mon sess 1 sou ?
interface SPAN source interface

!!! get some help
sw02(config)#mon sess 1 sou int fa 0/2 ?
, Specify another range of interfaces
- Specify a range of interfaces
both Monitor received and transmitted traffic
rx Monitor received traffic only
tx Monitor transmitted traffic only
<cr>

sw02(config)#mon sess 1 sou int fa 0/2 both
sw02(config)#mon sess 1 dest int fa 0/5 ?
<cr>

sw02(config)#mon sess 1 dest int fa 0/5
sw02(config)#end

sw02#sh mon sess 1
Session 1
---------
Source Ports:
RX Only: None
TX Only: None
Both: Fa0/2
Destination Ports: Fa0/5

sw02#

sw02#sh run | inc session
monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/2
monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/5
sw02#

!! To save over reboot
sw02# copy running-config startu

All you need to type is

en
conf t
monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/2
monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/5
end

To turn off:

en
conf t
no mon sess 1
end

How hard is that?

Giga port on catalyst 2960 rahan Cisco 2 08-09-2006 06:57 AM
catalyst 2960 port bandwidth control bb Cisco 0 05-15-2006 01:47 PM
ios for 2960 jasonsig Cisco 1 05-12-2006 04:17 AM
Cisco 3750, 2960, and SFP's OH MY!! jawill8301@yahoo.com Cisco 1 12-09-2005 08:58 PM
Catalyst 2960 and Catalyst Express 500 Roberto Giana Cisco 0 09-20-2005 11:30 AM

Advertisments