Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Using Internet on wireless network

Using Internet on wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?Z25vZWxt?=

Hi,

I have a desktop and a laptop computer. Both is running winXP. I want to
know how to surf the internet using the laptop computer. The desktop is
connected to a wireless router. The laptop can connect to the network but
when I open IE it says 'cannot find server'. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

peter

Is the wireless router connected to a cable/asdl modem??
open XP's help&support and type in internet sharing
look at this website for more dteailed info
http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
peter

"gnoelm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a desktop and a laptop computer. Both is running winXP. I want to
> know how to surf the internet using the laptop computer. The desktop is
> connected to a wireless router. The laptop can connect to the network but
> when I open IE it says 'cannot find server'. Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhbWVsbGE=?=

I assume you have never been able to get to the Internet on the laptop?
If the answer is "yes", then I have the following questions:
1. How is the laptop connected to internet (i.e. wireless card, e-net????)
2. What type of modem are you using (i.e. dialup, broadband)
3. Have you contacted your ISP to talk you through initial setup
instructions?
4. If you are familiar with the "DOS Prompt" you can use this to execute the
"PING" command. (i.e. ping www.microsoft.com) If you get "request time
out" you are not talking to the site
5. Do you have any firewall software running? If so you may want to
disable as
a test to see if this is stopping internet access. I have a 2WIRE DSL modem
which has built in firewall feature and don't really need additional software
protection.

I hope this gets you thinking about some things.

"gnoelm" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a desktop and a laptop computer. Both is running winXP. I want to
> know how to surf the internet using the laptop computer. The desktop is
> connected to a wireless router. The laptop can connect to the network but
> when I open IE it says 'cannot find server'. Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?Z25vZWxt?=

1. laptop is connected wirelessly (WiFi)
2. broadband modem

so what do i do ? thx for replying.

"Shamella" wrote:

> I assume you have never been able to get to the Internet on the laptop?
> If the answer is "yes", then I have the following questions:
> 1. How is the laptop connected to internet (i.e. wireless card, e-net????)
> 2. What type of modem are you using (i.e. dialup, broadband)
> 3. Have you contacted your ISP to talk you through initial setup
> instructions?
> 4. If you are familiar with the "DOS Prompt" you can use this to execute the
> "PING" command. (i.e. ping www.microsoft.com) If you get "request time
> out" you are not talking to the site
> 5. Do you have any firewall software running? If so you may want to
> disable as
> a test to see if this is stopping internet access. I have a 2WIRE DSL modem
> which has built in firewall feature and don't really need additional software
> protection.
>
> I hope this gets you thinking about some things.
>

> "gnoelm" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a desktop and a laptop computer. Both is running winXP. I want to
> > know how to surf the internet using the laptop computer. The desktop is
> > connected to a wireless router. The laptop can connect to the network but
> > when I open IE it says 'cannot find server'. Any ideas ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?Z25vZWxt?=

its a wireless router and also adsl modem i think...

"peter" wrote:

> Is the wireless router connected to a cable/asdl modem??
> open XP's help&support and type in internet sharing
> look at this website for more dteailed info
> http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
> peter
>
> "gnoelm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a desktop and a laptop computer. Both is running winXP. I want to
> > know how to surf the internet using the laptop computer. The desktop is
> > connected to a wireless router. The laptop can connect to the network but
> > when I open IE it says 'cannot find server'. Any ideas ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

peter

go there and follow the instructions