Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is this possible

Is this possible

osiris.luxor@btopenworld.com

and does a cable excist to do it

I have a old P.C which i have turned in to a juke box by loading up
all my CD's in MP3 format and some jukebox software

It has a standard vga monitor connection

I now have a 32inch LCD television with 2 scart , 2 HDMI inputs plus
svideo and RGB but no dedicated PC connection

Is it possible to connect the PC to the TV and use the TV as a monitor
for when I want to use my jukebox

the PC runs windows XP but is fairly slow

Dogpoop

> and does a cable excist to do it
>
> I have a old P.C which i have turned in to a juke box by loading up
> all my CD's in MP3 format and some jukebox software
>
> It has a standard vga monitor connection
>
> I now have a 32inch LCD television with 2 scart , 2 HDMI inputs plus
> svideo and RGB but no dedicated PC connection
>
> Is it possible to connect the PC to the TV and use the TV as a monitor
> for when I want to use my jukebox
>
> the PC runs windows XP but is fairly slow

Yes but you need a video card with DVI (digital) or HDMI output.

--
Dog Poop

Stand by me,

Kenny

Not necessarily, I have a laptop connected to 37" LCD via 15 pin d-sub
cable.

--
Kenny Cargill

"Dogpoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vCZvi.13918$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> and does a cable excist to do it
>>
>> I have a old P.C which i have turned in to a juke box by loading up
>> all my CD's in MP3 format and some jukebox software
>>
>> It has a standard vga monitor connection
>>
>> I now have a 32inch LCD television with 2 scart , 2 HDMI inputs plus
>> svideo and RGB but no dedicated PC connection
>>
>> Is it possible to connect the PC to the TV and use the TV as a monitor
>> for when I want to use my jukebox
>>
>> the PC runs windows XP but is fairly slow

> Yes but you need a video card with DVI (digital) or HDMI output.
>
> --
> Dog Poop
>
> Stand by me,

Vanguard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> and does a cable excist to do it
>
> I have a old P.C which i have turned in to a juke box by loading up
> all my CD's in MP3 format and some jukebox software
>
> It has a standard vga monitor connection
>
> I now have a 32inch LCD television with 2 scart , 2 HDMI inputs plus
> svideo and RGB but no dedicated PC connection
>
> Is it possible to connect the PC to the TV and use the TV as a
> monitor
> for when I want to use my jukebox
>
> the PC runs windows XP but is fairly slow

And what would be a "dedicated PC connection"?

So why not connect the sound outputs from your computer to the sound
inputs of the television? You mention a bunch of video inputs but
said nothing about the sound inputs of the television. MP3 is an
audio coding format. Your sound card or mobo has connectors going to
your speakers. So why can't those go to your television?

dadiOH

Vanguard wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> and does a cable excist to do it
>>
>> I have a old P.C which i have turned in to a juke box by loading up
>> all my CD's in MP3 format and some jukebox software
>>
>> It has a standard vga monitor connection
>>
>> I now have a 32inch LCD television with 2 scart , 2 HDMI inputs
>> plus svideo and RGB but no dedicated PC connection
>>
>> Is it possible to connect the PC to the TV and use the TV as a
>> monitor
>> for when I want to use my jukebox
>>
>> the PC runs windows XP but is fairly slow

> And what would be a "dedicated PC connection"?
>
> So why not connect the sound outputs from your computer to the sound
> inputs of the television? You mention a bunch of video inputs but
> said nothing about the sound inputs of the television. MP3 is an
> audio coding format. Your sound card or mobo has connectors going
> to your speakers. So why can't those go to your television?

Did you see his info about "jukebox software"?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Rectum Burn

"Dogpoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:vCZvi.13918$rr5.8131@newsfe1-
win.ntli.net:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> and does a cable excist to do it
>>
>> I have a old P.C which i have turned in to a juke box by loading up
>> all my CD's in MP3 format and some jukebox software
>>
>> It has a standard vga monitor connection
>>
>> I now have a 32inch LCD television with 2 scart , 2 HDMI inputs plus
>> svideo and RGB but no dedicated PC connection
>>
>> Is it possible to connect the PC to the TV and use the TV as a monitor
>> for when I want to use my jukebox
>>
>> the PC runs windows XP but is fairly slow

> Yes but you need a video card with DVI (digital) or HDMI output.

Dear Dogshit,

If OP would say what lind of video card he has, maybe the idiot already
has one. And if he doesn't maybe the idiot has an S-video c0nnection. But
the dumb ass just ASSUMES we know what he has. OTH, he COULD get an adapter
from VGA to DVI and use that to plug into the LCD TV, but it may look like
****. You seem to know a lot about that.

Rectum Burrrrrrrrrn

Vanguard

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Vanguard wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> and does a cable excist to do it
>>>
>>> I have a old P.C which i have turned in to a juke box by loading
>>> up
>>> all my CD's in MP3 format and some jukebox software
>>>
>>> It has a standard vga monitor connection
>>>
>>> I now have a 32inch LCD television with 2 scart , 2 HDMI inputs
>>> plus svideo and RGB but no dedicated PC connection
>>>
>>> Is it possible to connect the PC to the TV and use the TV as a
>>> monitor
>>> for when I want to use my jukebox
>>>
>>> the PC runs windows XP but is fairly slow

>> And what would be a "dedicated PC connection"?
>>
>> So why not connect the sound outputs from your computer to the
>> sound
>> inputs of the television? You mention a bunch of video inputs but
>> said nothing about the sound inputs of the television. MP3 is an
>> audio coding format. Your sound card or mobo has connectors going
>> to your speakers. So why can't those go to your television?

> Did you see his info about "jukebox software"?

And that has what to do with his audio outputs which is hardware?

ded

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Vanguard wrote:
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> And what would be a "dedicated PC connection"?
>>>
>>> So why not connect the sound outputs from your computer to the sound
>>> inputs of the television? You mention a bunch of video inputs but
>>> said nothing about the sound inputs of the television. MP3 is an
>>> audio coding format. Your sound card or mobo has connectors going
>>> to your speakers. So why can't those go to your television?

>> Did you see his info about "jukebox software"?

> And that has what to do with his audio outputs which is hardware?

I think OP intends to use LCD as monitor for track listing etc of the PC
based
jukebox. I doubt the intention is for a LCD display to be used for sonics,
the
speakers in flat panel displays are not hi-fidelity to say the least.

dadiOH

Vanguard wrote:
> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Vanguard wrote:
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> And what would be a "dedicated PC connection"?
>>>
>>> So why not connect the sound outputs from your computer to the
>>> sound
>>> inputs of the television? You mention a bunch of video inputs but
>>> said nothing about the sound inputs of the television. MP3 is an
>>> audio coding format. Your sound card or mobo has connectors going
>>> to your speakers. So why can't those go to your television?

>> Did you see his info about "jukebox software"?

> And that has what to do with his audio outputs which is hardware?

It is pertinent because OP has no interest in playing his MP3s thru
the television - he has a dedicated computer for that. What he *does*
want to do is use the TV as a visual monitor (instead of the computer
monitor) of the jukebox software.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Vanguard

"ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f9rugn$pdm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Did you see his info about "jukebox software"?

>> And that has what to do with his audio outputs which is hardware?
>>

> I think OP intends to use LCD as monitor for track listing etc of
> the PC based
> jukebox. I doubt the intention is for a LCD display to be used for
> sonics, the
> speakers in flat panel displays are not hi-fidelity to say the
> least.

Oops, I see the OP wants to use his television as a monitor only. I
thought he wanted to use its audio (speakers) in place of whatever he
is currently using for speakers in his "old P.C".

Odd his LCD television doesn't have a simple single RCA plug for
component video input, like from a DVD player, to which he could
connect the video out of the video card in his old PC (if it has
component video out). Yes, some DVD players have sVideo outputs (the
OP said his television has sVideo in) but many just have component
video. While the OP mentioned sVideo in, he never mentioned what his
video card has for outputs unless the 15-pin VGA connector is it. Do
any LCD televisions really have RGB inputs as teh OP claims (3
separate shielded BNC connections for red, green, and blue)?

If all the OP has is a VGA output from his video card in his old PC,
there are VGA-to-HDMI converter boxes (to convert analog signals to
digital), but they're pricey (http://preview.tinyurl.com/2qfddh).
There are also VGA-to-SCART converter boxes
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/2jk93y). Might be a lot cheaper to use a
VGA-to-sVideo adapter cable (http://preview.tinyurl.com/2tm5sx) since
the OP said his TV had sVideo inputs. Of course, while he has the VGA
output of his video card connected to his TV, he can't use his
disconnected computer monitor unless he also uses a VGA splitter
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/2qbpyl or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3dms9b).