Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Google Groups not functioning ?

Google Groups not functioning ?

penang@catholic.org

Before there was a googlegroups, there was deja.com.

Before that, it was dejavu.com

And even before that, it was simply known as usenet.

I was there.

Recently however, googlegroups seems to not function as it should be.
When I search for my previous posts, for example :
http://groups.google.com.my/groups?n...=1&sa=N&tab=wg

I got a reply of 31 postings.

Truth is, my postings is at least 10 times that much !

What has gone wrong with googlegroups ? Or is it my own imagination ??

Any help would be very much appreciated !

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Recently however, googlegroups seems to not function as it should be.

This could be a great thing for those of us that are old enough to hate
web interface systems that allow the masses of ignorant users to abuse
Usenet through google groups and other services.

--
Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)

and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Before there was a googlegroups, there was deja.com.

You should get a newsreader and a newsserver instead of being a
googlegrouper. There are a number of serious disadvantages to
googlegrouping instead of interacting on usenet 'as it was intended' by
nntp newsreading from a newsserver.

> Recently however, googlegroups seems to not function as it should be.

That is correct. GG's search function has severely deteriorated to less
than a shadow of its former self. It is sad.

Since my entire use of GG is for its search function, as far as I'm
concerned, if GG search function gets bad enough, it would be OK with me
if GG went away altogether.

> Any help would be very much appreciated !

Find a newsserver, there are plenty which are free or extremely cheap
and a newsreader, there are plenty that are free, and quit using a
browser to read and write messages.

--
Mike Easter

Steve Wolstenholme

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:06:13 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Before there was a googlegroups, there was deja.com.
>
>Before that, it was dejavu.com
>
>And even before that, it was simply known as usenet.

It still is usenet for anyone who has a decent client and access to
suitable servers.

>I was there.

I still am. I have no use for Google groups. They are too slow and
clumsy.

>Recently however, googlegroups seems to not function as it should be.
>When I search for my previous posts, for example :
>http://groups.google.com.my/groups?n...=1&sa=N&tab=wg
>
>I got a reply of 31 postings.
>
>Truth is, my postings is at least 10 times that much !
>
>What has gone wrong with googlegroups ? Or is it my own imagination ??
>
>Any help would be very much appreciated !

Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Whiskers

On 2007-08-13, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Before there was a googlegroups, there was deja.com.
>
> Before that, it was dejavu.com
>
> And even before that, it was simply known as usenet.
>
> I was there.

Usenet is still here and still nothing to do with Google or DejaNews -
they just provide an incomplete archive and a rotten way of reading and
posting.

> Recently however, googlegroups seems to not function as it should be.

Only Google knows how Google /should/ function. The rest of us have to
put up with the way it /does/ function - which is 'a bit shakily at best'.
I suppose one gets what one pays for, with Google.

> When I search for my previous posts, for example :
> http://groups.google.com.my/groups?n...=1&sa=N&tab=wg
>
> I got a reply of 31 postings.
>
> Truth is, my postings is at least 10 times that much !
>
> What has gone wrong with googlegroups ? Or is it my own imagination ??
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated !

<http://groups.google.com.my/groups/profile?enc_user=z1ZDbRMAAADoVGHOgVSg4fQEsiYSDPOsC rTwKYbraL2wE_wkV0bY1A&hl=en>
shows "All 39 groups -- 118 messages". Make of that what you will.

If you change your email address, Google assumes (for the purposes of
Google Groups) that you are 'someone else' so they create a different
'profile'. Likewise, all those who use the same email address (real or
otherwise) are treated as 'one person' no matter how many clearly different
people are responsible for those posts. (invalid <AT> invalid.invalid and
me <AT> privacy.net have been really busy little beavers for instance
<G>). I don't know how or if the score kept by Google deals with posts
that you xnayed or nuked.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Vanguard

"Leythos" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Recently however, googlegroups seems to not function as it should
>> be.

> This could be a great thing for those of us that are old enough to
> hate
> web interface systems that allow the masses of ignorant users to
> abuse
> Usenet through google groups and other services.

Worse are the Usenet-ignorant coming from forums because their admin
decided to use a gateway from their forum to Usenet.