Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual boot Vista & XP

Dual boot Vista & XP

Sam Crawford

I'm trying to figure out how to dual boot Vista and XP.

I have XP Professional x64 on disk 0, partion 1 and Vista Ultimate x64 on
disk 1, partion 2.

XP was installed first.

After I installed Vista, it shows both Vista and XP in Vista's boot menu.
When I try to go to XP, I get the error message that "NTLDR is missing" and
error code 0x0000225.

I tried using EasyBCD to change options but still can never boot into XP.
Vista sees the drive it is installed on as "D" and XP on drive "K".

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Xposted to x64 and Vista newsgroups.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Try using this excellent utility:

VistaBootPRO
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

On 12-Aug-2007, "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Try using this excellent utility:
>
> VistaBootPRO
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Carey,

I probably should have mentioned, I tried VistaBootPro as well.

Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

the problem is that somehow your boot files (ntldr and ntdetect.com ) are
missing from the XP drive. You can copy the missing files back and you
should be fine. They are on the XP x64 install CD.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 12-Aug-2007, "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Try using this excellent utility:
>>
>> VistaBootPRO
>> http://www.vistabootpro.org/

> Carey,
>
> I probably should have mentioned, I tried VistaBootPro as well.
>
> Thanks.

John Barnes

Are both drives IDE or SATA, or a combination? In Vista, which is
designated your system drive (disk 1 partition 1?) and your boot drive (disk
1, partition 2?). If so and both drives are the same, to start, copy the
ntldr ntdetect.com and boot.ini to both partitions on drive 1 and modify the
boot.ini rdisk number if necessary. You can clean up the unnecessary copies
later if you want to.

"Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ed%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to figure out how to dual boot Vista and XP.
>
> I have XP Professional x64 on disk 0, partion 1 and Vista Ultimate x64 on
> disk 1, partion 2.
>
> XP was installed first.
>
> After I installed Vista, it shows both Vista and XP in Vista's boot menu.
> When I try to go to XP, I get the error message that "NTLDR is missing"
> and
> error code 0x0000225.
>
> I tried using EasyBCD to change options but still can never boot into XP.
> Vista sees the drive it is installed on as "D" and XP on drive "K".
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sam
>
> Xposted to x64 and Vista newsgroups.

R. C. White

Hi, Sam.

HOW did you install Vista?

Were both HDs connected at the time? Did you boot from the Vista DVD? Or
did you boot into WinXP and then run Vista's Setup.exe from there? And
which HDD is your current boot device? In Vista's Disk Management, which
volumes are shown as System and Boot?

The best way to add Vista to WinXP is to keep both HDs connected, with Disk
0 the boot device, while running Vista Setup. This way, Vista will preserve
WinXP's startup files, while adding its own bootmgr file and \Boot folder to
that Disk 0 partition 1, which will remain the System Partition. Vista will
call that partition Drive D:, after assigning C: to its own boot folder
(Disk 1 Partition 2 in your case).

Whichever partition is shown as "System" in Vista's Disk Management is the
location where NTLDR, etc., should be, along with a 512-byte file called
Bootsect.BAK, which is a copy of the WinXP-style boot sector from the
original Disk 0 Partition 1.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ed#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to figure out how to dual boot Vista and XP.
>
> I have XP Professional x64 on disk 0, partion 1 and Vista Ultimate x64 on
> disk 1, partion 2.
>
> XP was installed first.
>
> After I installed Vista, it shows both Vista and XP in Vista's boot menu.
> When I try to go to XP, I get the error message that "NTLDR is missing"
> and
> error code 0x0000225.
>
> I tried using EasyBCD to change options but still can never boot into XP.
> Vista sees the drive it is installed on as "D" and XP on drive "K".
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sam
>
> Xposted to x64 and Vista newsgroups.

Sam Crawford

Whichever partition is shown as "System" in Vista's Disk Management is the
location where NTLDR, etc., should be, along with a 512-byte file called
Bootsect.BAK, which is a copy of the WinXP-style boot sector from the
original Disk 0 Partition 1.

Thanks RC.

I copied these files to the root directory of all partions and it works!

I appreciate everyone's help.