Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Buying Dreamweaver in USA (I live in UK)

Buying Dreamweaver in USA (I live in UK)

cluthz

Hi there,

OK I know this is an HTML group but maybe other UK residents have done the
same. As you may know Dreamweaver in the US is half the price of the UK.

So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US? Will I have any
difficulties. The way I see it, it could be feasible that I purchased
something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK right?

Anyone else gone to the effort of doing this?

Thanks

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:56:12
GMT cluthz scribed:

> Hi there,
>
> OK I know this is an HTML group but maybe other UK residents have done
> the same. As you may know Dreamweaver in the US is half the price of
> the UK.
>
> So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US? Will I have
> any difficulties. The way I see it, it could be feasible that I
> purchased something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK
> right?

Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially if
you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a U.S.
citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor will then
stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the transfer once the
heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know how spunky us Yanks are.
Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.

--
Neredbojias

cluthz

"Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns998A6E5DDD489nanopandaneredbojias@198.186. 190.161...
> Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially if
> you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a U.S.
> citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor will then
> stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the transfer once the
> heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know how spunky us Yanks
> are.
> Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer. I do have someone who could buy it for me thanks. It's
just that I'm worried that I wont be entitled to updates or some other weird
restriction will come into effect. You know the money saved would almost
even pay for the flight.

Or is it just easier for me to bite the bullet and frustratingly the full UK
price.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:10:15
GMT cluthz scribed:

>> Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially
>> if you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a
>> U.S. citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor
>> will then stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the
>> transfer once the heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know
>> how spunky us Yanks are.
>> Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.
>>

> Thanks for the offer. I do have someone who could buy it for me
> thanks. It's just that I'm worried that I wont be entitled to updates
> or some other weird restriction will come into effect. You know the
> money saved would almost even pay for the flight.
>
> Or is it just easier for me to bite the bullet and frustratingly the
> full UK price.

Seriously, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you're not in a dod-
restricted country. I, personally, don't and never did see the need for
something like Dreamweaver because I preferred learning html "the hard
way" so to speak. It might have taken longer, but at least I knew what I
was doing when I was done. I can virtually guarantee you that I would not
be as good as I am now (-however good that is) had I earlier-on thrown
crutches into the learning curve.

--
Neredbojias

Andy Dingley

On 12 Aug, 14:56, "cluthz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US?

No, because it's not worth you buying it at all (FAQ around here and
in c.i.w.a.h - search)

> Will I have any difficulties.

You'll have no support or upgrade path. Bit like buying the UK edition
really.

Bernhard Sturm

Andy Dingley wrote:
> On 12 Aug, 14:56, "cluthz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Will I have any difficulties.

> You'll have no support or upgrade path. Bit like buying the UK edition
> really.

Why would that be the case? Imagine the following scenario: I lived in
the U.S. for a few months, bought the lower-priced Adobe CS2 suite, and
moved back to the U.K., and want to upgrade now to the CS3-suite. How
could Adobe possibly find out, that I am using illegaly their licences?
What would be illegal in such a behaviour?

cheers
Bernhard

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

cluthz

I like Dreamweaver.
I am a traditional programmer and can do raw HTML, but I find DReamweaver
saves me time. Particualry for PHP editing which is what I do. I get to see
my pages while coding. I think it's great.

I've used someone elses old version (MX) for a while now. It has it's
shortcomings, but I prefer it to using a pure text editor.
I note the collapsable code in the new version looks great. I know of no
other package that lets me easily preview my pages and edit the raw code as
well as having good general HTML handling capabilities.

But do let me know if there is one.

Thanks

rf

"cluthz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f9pfqh$f83$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>I like Dreamweaver.
> I am a traditional programmer and can do raw HTML, but I find DReamweaver
> [sic]
> saves me time. Particualry for PHP editing which is what I do. I get to
> see my pages while coding. I think it's great.

I am a traditional programmer (well, C# these days) and I can do raw HTML
[and CSS].

I have crimzon editor open right here on my middle screen (currently
overlayed with this editor window of course) with the raw source code to the
sites I am currently working on. Well, the raw site as in a couple of
includes to the required home grown CMS and the current "framework" for that
site.

I have a few Windows Explorers open (for heavy duty file manipulation and
FTP access to my hosts, as required) and a couple of other file type
thingies on my screen over there <--

I have a few browsers open on my third screen, over there --> and I do, at
the press of a refresh button, verify that what I have just stated in my
source actually works in these current *actual* browsers.

One of my other computers is pretending to be a web server down there V.

I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
<shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with a
very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the "preview"
function of those things... Har har.

--
Richard.

cluthz

Hmmm, Just googled crimzon editor

Looks OK actually. Might give it a go. Still probably will get Dreamweaver,
what can I say. I like it a lot. But I do currently use textpad as well for
certain macro features and a few other things.

crimzon editor looks good though.

Hope it does php well
Note I'm getting it from:
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
(just in case I happened to have found a spyware version of the software or
something stupid like that).

Travis Newbury

On Aug 13, 8:33 am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
> <shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with a
> very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the "preview"
> function of those things... Har har.

I find DW it to be a very powerful tool. I guess it is just a matter
of what works best for an individual.