Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Some problem with OBJECT and table

Reply
Thread Tools

Some problem with OBJECT and table

 
 
Dif
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2007
Hi all,
I'm writing a personal web site and since my ISP is not offering me
the possibility to have server-side scripting (I'm using the classical
free web space available with the connection), I'm using a combination
of TABLE and OBJECT to manage the redundant parts of my pages (I don't
know it is the best practice); unfortunately I'm having some problem
and I can't find a solution.

You can see the following page as example of my problems:
http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html

The problems are the following:
- the OBJECT code seems to require more space than necessary otherwise
it shows up scroll bars (for example for the 728x90 leader board I
have on top I have to set width="770" and height="130"), but in this
way I'm getting too much blank space between elements; you can see the
scroll bars (the width and height match the intended value) on the
advertisement skyscraper on the left and the excessive white space
(the width and height are higher than intended) below the leader board
on top (apply also to the search box);
- if I use OBJECT to render a web page inside a cell (as I said I'm
using a TABLE to layout my web site) and I click a link of that page,
the linked page will be rendered inside the cell instead of loading
full screen; you can see the effect either on the short menu above the
skyscraper (the one that says "Home Page - Send this page - Your
feedback about this page") or with the link on the copyright notice at
the bottom of the page;
- while in Firefox the page looks OK (except for the excessive white
space mentioned in point 1), in IE7 the sections rendered with OBJECT
show a vertical scroll bar (that is grayed out since the section is
fully rendered).

Do you have any idea how I can solve these problems?

Thank in advance.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2007
In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Dif <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> You can see the following page as example of my problems:
> http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html
>
> The problems are the following:


First, put in a doctype and read why this is important. Put in
the 4.01 Strict one if unsure.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dif
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2007
On Aug 12, 9:40 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
> Dif <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > You can see the following page as example of my problems:
> >http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html

>
> > The problems are the following:

>
> First, put in a doctype and read why this is important. Put in
> the 4.01 Strict one if unsure.
>
> --
> dorayme


Hi dorayme,
thank for the reply.

I doctype declaration and I took the opportunity to do a HTML
validation (I used the W3C one), but it found just a couple of
marginal errors (it complained about two </p> missing the opening even
if they were two line above).

I corrected the anomalies suggested by the validation (now W3C reports
"This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!"), but unfortunately the
problems persist.

Any idea?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dif
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2007
On Aug 12, 9:40 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
> Dif <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > You can see the following page as example of my problems:
> >http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html

>
> > The problems are the following:

>
> First, put in a doctype and read why this is important. Put in
> the 4.01 Strict one if unsure.
>
> --
> dorayme


Hi dorayme,
thank for the reply.

I doctype declaration and I took the opportunity to do a HTML
validation (I used the W3C one), but it found just a couple of
marginal errors (it complained about two </p> missing the opening even
if they were two line above).

I corrected the anomalies suggested by the validation (now W3C reports
"This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!"), but unfortunately the
problems persist.

Any idea?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dif
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2007
> I doctype declaration

Of course it should be: "I inserted the doctype declaration".

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2007
Dif wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm writing a personal web site and since my ISP is not offering me
> the possibility to have server-side scripting (I'm using the classical
> free web space available with the connection), I'm using a combination
> of TABLE and OBJECT to manage the redundant parts of my pages (I don't
> know it is the best practice); unfortunately I'm having some problem
> and I can't find a solution.
>
> You can see the following page as example of my problems:
> http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html



Your server is Apache, good possibility you have PHP available. To test
in a text editor insert following:
<html>
<head>
<title>PHP Info</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
</body>
</html>

save file as phpinfo.php

upload to server and check with browser

http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/phpinfo.php

If you have PHP then you will see tables of PHP settings. If you have
PHP then dump the hack with OBJECTs and use PHP includes

>
> The problems are the following:
> - the OBJECT code seems to require more space than necessary otherwise

<snip>

MSIE will always put scrollbars on the object it seems. Really kludgy
way to do includes.


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dif
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2007
[CUT]
> Your server is Apache, good possibility you have PHP available. To test
> in a text editor insert following:
> <html>
> <head>
> <title>PHP Info</title>
> </head>
> <body>
> <?php phpinfo(); ?>
> </body>
> </html>
>
> save file as phpinfo.php
>
> upload to server and check with browser
>
> http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/phpinfo.php
>
> If you have PHP then you will see tables of PHP settings. If you have
> PHP then dump the hack with OBJECTs and use PHP includes


Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-
(

> MSIE will always put scrollbars on the object it seems. Really kludgy
> way to do includes.


Uhm, too bad. I could have lived with the extra space (due to the
first problem), but those scroll bars are very ugly.

Anyway, thank for the help.

BTW does anyone have any consideration for the second problem (pages
opened by links of the page rendered with OBJECT nested on a cell are
rendered inside the cell instead of loading a full new page)?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2007
Dif wrote:

> Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
> Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
> it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
> plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-
> (


I would say spend a few bucks and get hosting an make you site look
good. Many small scale packages with fewer bells and whistles that you
would not need but include PHP for a about $50 a year or less. Yeah you
don't have to get hosting in Italy, anywhere in the world where you can
get the best value will do... I don't use them but for example
GoDaddy.com has some economy plans < $4 depending on how much you pay in
advance...


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:28:10 GMT
Dif scribed:

> Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
> Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
> it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
> plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-


Italy? What kind of name is "Dif" for a Pizano? Different, that's for
sure...

--
Neredbojias
Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dif
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2007
On Aug 13, 10:34 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Dif wrote:
> > Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
> > Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
> > it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
> > plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-
> > (

>
> I would say spend a few bucks and get hosting an make you site look
> good. Many small scale packages with fewer bells and whistles that you
> would not need but include PHP for a about $50 a year or less. Yeah you
> don't have to get hosting in Italy, anywhere in the world where you can
> get the best value will do... I don't use them but for example
> GoDaddy.com has some economy plans < $4 depending on how much you pay in
> advance...


I'll take that in consideration. Actually I should first build some
basic content to the site since so far the only real content I wrote
is a mini-guide to a 4 years old game (Star Wars: Knights of the Old
Republic ) and nothing more yet (and actually I still don't know how
much far I will go on building up my site).

Anyway I found a solution to the IE problem (the third one on the
original post):
- First I had to put scroll=no on the <BODY> tag on the embedded page
(so it become <BODY scroll=no>); this resolve the scroll bar issue;
- Second, I had to put the following code on the main page (the one
that call all the OBJECTS) to resolve the border issue (I didn't
reported it since I thought it was part of the scroll bar one):

<!-- Fix for IE border Begin -->
<script type="text/javascript">
function fixObjectImages ()
{
var objs = document.getElementsByTagName ('OBJECT');
for (n = 0; n < objs.length; n++)
{
var obj = objs [n];
if ((obj != null && obj.type != null)
&& ((obj.type == "text/html") || (obj.type == "image/gif")))
{
fixObject (obj);
}
}
}

function fixObject (obj)
{
obj.body.style.margin = '0';
obj.body.style.border = 'none';
obj.body.style.overflow = 'hidden';
}
// To do: Only do this for IE !
window.onload = fixObjectImages;
</script>
<!-- Fix for IE border End -->


Speaking of the other two problems, the second one is the one I'll
investigate further since it is annoying (any idea?); I can live with
the first one until I'll create enough content to migrate to a paid
server.

Thank again for the help.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to check if some object is included in some module? Jarmo Pertman Ruby 5 08-02-2010 05:26 PM
asp text boxes in a table -- some are emphasized & some not, but props are identical Jeremy ASP .Net 2 11-27-2007 07:03 PM
Object creation - Do we really need to create a parent for a derieved object - can't the base object just point to an already created base object jon wayne C++ 9 09-22-2005 02:06 AM
Table/table rows/table data tag question? Rio HTML 4 11-05-2004 08:11 AM
Could not load type VTFixup Table from assembly Invalid token in v-table fix-up table. David Williams ASP .Net 2 08-12-2003 07:55 AM



Advertisments