Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > New Horizons

New Horizons

=?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=

I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location in
CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training center. They
are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good program.

Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my foot in
the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help with
that problem. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bill McPherson

I took a course with them 2 or 3 years ago in Wisconsin. The instructor was
good, typical MS course that flowed like the rest. However, they were
closing their facility that week so it wasn't a great experience (noisy,
items kept leaving each day, etc). There were just two of us in the class,
and the other guy was a former real estate agent looking to change careers -
so no real knowledge of what we were doing. I recommend buying VMWare
Workstation, a powerful pc or laptop, and the MS Press books, then taking
one or two classes in areas you could use the extra classroom attention in.
As for problems getting your foot in the door, it may be an experience
issue. What kind of job are you looking for and what experience do you
have? One thing that impressed my current employer was my side work
rebuilding computers or helping people out with simple stuff. These were
mostly grandparents or other non-tech literate folks, and my boss was
impressed that I could work with a variety of users. I don't know what the
job prospects in CO are, but don't get discouraged. Consider even temp work
to help learn new environments and get a variety of experience.

Congratulations, you get my serious post of the week.

--
Famous last words "I wonder what this does..."

"Jed Baxter" <Jed http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location in
> CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training center.

They
> are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good program.
>
> Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my foot

in
> the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help with
> that problem. Does this sound correct?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=

Thanks for the reply Bill,

I do have the experience, I have been in the networking field for about 6
years and am currently doing IT project management for a small company.
However when any sys admin jobs are posted it seems like they are requiring
the certs. The program that new horizons is offering is a self paced, they
call it Mentored learning where you read the book, watch a prerecorded
overview by an MCT, and you also have an MCT in the class room for any
questions or problems. They are providing all of the tests and transcenders
for the tests. I have been looking for a way to get the certs, but reading
out of a book does not seem to help me very much. I have taught myself some
SQL and have the MS outlook book but it is hard to read and move forward and
I also cannot guage my performance. So I guess the question is are the certs
worth it?

Thanks again.

"Bill McPherson" wrote:

> I took a course with them 2 or 3 years ago in Wisconsin. The instructor was
> good, typical MS course that flowed like the rest. However, they were
> closing their facility that week so it wasn't a great experience (noisy,
> items kept leaving each day, etc). There were just two of us in the class,
> and the other guy was a former real estate agent looking to change careers -
> so no real knowledge of what we were doing. I recommend buying VMWare
> Workstation, a powerful pc or laptop, and the MS Press books, then taking
> one or two classes in areas you could use the extra classroom attention in.
> As for problems getting your foot in the door, it may be an experience
> issue. What kind of job are you looking for and what experience do you
> have? One thing that impressed my current employer was my side work
> rebuilding computers or helping people out with simple stuff. These were
> mostly grandparents or other non-tech literate folks, and my boss was
> impressed that I could work with a variety of users. I don't know what the
> job prospects in CO are, but don't get discouraged. Consider even temp work
> to help learn new environments and get a variety of experience.
>
> Congratulations, you get my serious post of the week.
>
> --
> Famous last words "I wonder what this does..."
>

> "Jed Baxter" <Jed (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location in
> > CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training center.

> They
> > are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good program.
> >
> > Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my foot

> in
> > the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help with
> > that problem. Does this sound correct?
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

The Rev [MCT]

I'm an MCT for a New Horizons (not that one) and I would say it depends on
your style of learning.

ILT (Instructor Led training) isn't for everyone, but then again neither is
self paced learning. I am personally a hands-on learning type of person,
however I tend to learn better in an Instructor led environment with
hands-on labs rather then completely by myself. The reason in my case is
because if I'm home I'm easily distracted by my life. In a classroom you're,
to a point, disconnected from the world and more able to focus. It's all up
to your personality type learning style and drive to learn.

In any case I wish you luck....

--
..rev - mct.mcngp.44
..
"Jed Baxter" <Jed (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location in
> CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training center.
> They
> are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good program.
>
> Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my foot
> in
> the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help with
> that problem. Does this sound correct?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=

Thanks for the information,

Have you had any experience with the Menored learning, that is what I have
enrolled in.

Jed Baxter

"The Rev [MCT]" wrote:

> I'm an MCT for a New Horizons (not that one) and I would say it depends on
> your style of learning.
>
> ILT (Instructor Led training) isn't for everyone, but then again neither is
> self paced learning. I am personally a hands-on learning type of person,
> however I tend to learn better in an Instructor led environment with
> hands-on labs rather then completely by myself. The reason in my case is
> because if I'm home I'm easily distracted by my life. In a classroom you're,
> to a point, disconnected from the world and more able to focus. It's all up
> to your personality type learning style and drive to learn.
>
> In any case I wish you luck....
>
> --
> ..rev - mct.mcngp.44
> ..
> "It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without
> accepting it"
> ~Aristotle.
> ..
> "Jed Baxter" <Jed (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location in
> > CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training center.
> > They
> > are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good program.
> >
> > Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my foot
> > in
> > the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help with
> > that problem. Does this sound correct?
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

The Rev [MCT]

Yes, I've covered the Mentored learning class a few times. It's really a
cross between ILT and self study. I find a large number of candidates like
it, because they are able to go at their own pace and not the pace of the
class.

--
..rev - mct.mcngp.44
..
"Jed Baxter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the information,
>
> Have you had any experience with the Menored learning, that is what I have
> enrolled in.
>
> Jed Baxter
>
> "The Rev [MCT]" wrote:
>
>> I'm an MCT for a New Horizons (not that one) and I would say it depends
>> on
>> your style of learning.
>>
>> ILT (Instructor Led training) isn't for everyone, but then again neither
>> is
>> self paced learning. I am personally a hands-on learning type of person,
>> however I tend to learn better in an Instructor led environment with
>> hands-on labs rather then completely by myself. The reason in my case is
>> because if I'm home I'm easily distracted by my life. In a classroom
>> you're,
>> to a point, disconnected from the world and more able to focus. It's all
>> up
>> to your personality type learning style and drive to learn.
>>
>> In any case I wish you luck....
>>
>> --
>> ..rev - mct.mcngp.44
>> ..
>> "It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought
>> without
>> accepting it"
>> ~Aristotle.
>> ..
>> "Jed Baxter" <Jed (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location
>> >in
>> > CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training center.
>> > They
>> > are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good program.
>> >
>> > Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my
>> > foot
>> > in
>> > the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help
>> > with
>> > that problem. Does this sound correct?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=

That was the appeal to me also, and the fact that you can recieve a little
more attention with the Mentored learning than ILT. Thank you for the
information.

"The Rev [MCT]" wrote:

> Yes, I've covered the Mentored learning class a few times. It's really a
> cross between ILT and self study. I find a large number of candidates like
> it, because they are able to go at their own pace and not the pace of the
> class.
>
> --
> ..rev - mct.mcngp.44
> ..
> "It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without
> accepting it"
> ~Aristotle.
> ..
> "Jed Baxter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for the information,
> >
> > Have you had any experience with the Menored learning, that is what I have
> > enrolled in.
> >
> > Jed Baxter
> >
> > "The Rev [MCT]" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm an MCT for a New Horizons (not that one) and I would say it depends
> >> on
> >> your style of learning.
> >>
> >> ILT (Instructor Led training) isn't for everyone, but then again neither
> >> is
> >> self paced learning. I am personally a hands-on learning type of person,
> >> however I tend to learn better in an Instructor led environment with
> >> hands-on labs rather then completely by myself. The reason in my case is
> >> because if I'm home I'm easily distracted by my life. In a classroom
> >> you're,
> >> to a point, disconnected from the world and more able to focus. It's all
> >> up
> >> to your personality type learning style and drive to learn.
> >>
> >> In any case I wish you luck....
> >>
> >> --
> >> ..rev - mct.mcngp.44
> >> ..
> >> "It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought
> >> without
> >> accepting it"
> >> ~Aristotle.
> >> ..
> >> "Jed Baxter" <Jed (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Bill McPherson

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

--
Famous last words "I wonder what this does..."

"Jed Baxter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That was the appeal to me also, and the fact that you can recieve a little
> more attention with the Mentored learning than ILT. Thank you for the
> information.
>
> "The Rev [MCT]" wrote:
>
> > Yes, I've covered the Mentored learning class a few times. It's really a
> > cross between ILT and self study. I find a large number of candidates

like
> > it, because they are able to go at their own pace and not the pace of

the
> > class.
> >
> > --
> > ..rev - mct.mcngp.44
> > ..
> > "It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought

without
> > accepting it"
> > ~Aristotle.
> > ..
> > "Jed Baxter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks for the information,
> > >
> > > Have you had any experience with the Menored learning, that is what I

have
> > > enrolled in.
> > >
> > > Jed Baxter

depends

neither

person,

is

all

location

center.

help

=?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=

Thank you for all of the information

"Ben Smith" wrote:

> [...]

> trainers and training venues. The key questions to ask are:
> " What value did the instructor add to the materials?
> " Did the instructor have credibility with the other students?
> " Was the instructor able to answer questions from students that
> were not in the materials?
> " How were you able to use the skills from this course later?
> " Would you take a class from this person?
> Trainer communities are typically very strong. If you have a non-
> security trainer who you have found in the past to have been an
> effective instructor, ask them for a reference.
>
> Evaluating materials
> While not as essential as a good trainer, because it is not possible to
> remember everything in a week long training course, the more complete,
> concise, and accurate the training materials are, the more valuable they
> will be after the course. Thus, the training material provides the
> minimum bar for the training as well as the scope of instruction. The
> best way to determine if the course is the right for you is to evaluate
> the course materials before purchasing the training. Ask the training
> provider to see the training materials and spend time analyzing whether
> you think you would use the material as reference later. In addition to
> the text and graphics in the training materials, when you review
> training materials see if the labs in the course reflect skills that you
> hope to develop. If the labs do not match your expectations, you should
> probably find another course. Lastly, check the date of the last
> revision to the course. Because security technology, both in terms of
> attacks and countermeasures, is changing so rapidly, having up-to-date
> materials is essential.
> Assessing the Training Venue
> Less significant that the instructor or the materials is the training
> venue; however, a good learning environment and a credible training
> provides are still key elements in choosing a training course. Training
> courses held in hotel lobbies generally are not good learning
> environments compared to training centers. When assessing a training
> center, look at the general care of the facility, state of the
> equipment, and general demeanor of the staff. Ask yourself:
> " Will the training center provide equipment that is fitting of the
> course?
> " Is there adequate desk space for you?
> " Is there sufficient whiteboard space for the instructor?
> " Will the classroom fit your learning style?
> Touring the training facility is also a good opportunity to talk with
> current students. The single biggest thing to evaluate a training
> provider on is how willing they are to provide you with information and
> access to the instructor. Stay clear of any training provider not
> willing to provide this information and great any training provider who
> is hesitant to provide this information with a high degree of suspicion.

Bob Christian

Stay in IT Project Management and pay to get the PMI PMP certification...

--
Bob Christian II
MVP - LCS

Re: New Horizons Pedro Simoes MCSE 0 11-24-2005 06:41 PM
New Horizons Pedro Simoes MCSE 0 11-24-2005 06:41 PM
new horizons izy MCSE 3 04-04-2005 10:27 AM
New Horizons CTEC =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgU3F1aXRpZXJl?= Microsoft Certification 1 12-09-2004 04:37 PM
New Horizons Md. Mokbul Hossain MCSE 1 09-16-2003 05:10 PM

Advertisments