Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > desktop.ini, folders, and custom icons in XP

desktop.ini, folders, and custom icons in XP

bealoid

How can I get desktop.ini to display custom icons in windows XP for a
folder on my FAT formatted USB thumbdrive.

I have two USB thumb drives.

One one of them there is a folder, and inside that folder there is a file
called "Desktop.ini". That file has the hidden and system attributes set.
The file contains this :-

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=icon.ico
IconIndex=0
InfoTip="Useful Software Installation Packages."

the folder also contains an icon, called "icon.ico".

The other has a folder, with exactly the same file. The attribs have been
set, and checked. The folder contains an icon.

Both drives are formated as FAT.

My laptop has windows xp home. I can see the custom icon for one of the
folders, but I cannot make the other folder's custom icon display.

I've tried unattaching and reattaching the drive, I've tried rebooting XP,
I've tried re-sizing all icons (to clear the icon cache).

Right click, Properties, customise doesn't exist for these folders.

Where am I going wrong?

meerkat

"bealoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> How can I get desktop.ini to display custom icons in windows XP for a
> folder on my FAT formatted USB thumbdrive.
>
> I have two USB thumb drives.
>
> One one of them there is a folder, and inside that folder there is a file
> called "Desktop.ini". That file has the hidden and system attributes set.
> The file contains this :-
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> IconFile=icon.ico
> IconIndex=0
> InfoTip="Useful Software Installation Packages."
>
> the folder also contains an icon, called "icon.ico".

The icon.ico file is the one *you* have got to change for
the icon of your choice.

ie. IconFile=icon.ico

> The other has a folder, with exactly the same file. The attribs have been
> set, and checked. The folder contains an icon.
>
> Both drives are formated as FAT.
>
> My laptop has windows xp home. I can see the custom icon for one of the
> folders, but I cannot make the other folder's custom icon display.
>
> I've tried unattaching and reattaching the drive, I've tried rebooting XP,
> I've tried re-sizing all icons (to clear the icon cache).
>
> Right click, Properties, customise doesn't exist for these folders.
>
> Where am I going wrong?

bealoid

"meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:g0ovi.6958$(E-Mail Removed):

> "bealoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> How can I get desktop.ini to display custom icons in windows XP for a
>> folder on my FAT formatted USB thumbdrive.
>>
>> I have two USB thumb drives.
>>
>> One one of them there is a folder, and inside that folder there is a
>> file called "Desktop.ini". That file has the hidden and system
>> attributes set. The file contains this :-
>>
>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>> IconFile=icon.ico
>> IconIndex=0
>> InfoTip="Useful Software Installation Packages."
>>
>> the folder also contains an icon, called "icon.ico".
>>

> The icon.ico file is the one *you* have got to change for
> the icon of your choice.
>
> ie. IconFile=icon.ico

Yes. I should have made clear that both folders have an icon file in.
Proper icons, proper icon format. They're both called "icon.ico". I
don't think the names are case sensitive, but I've checked the case (and
carefulyl checked spelling) and the names of the files and the names in
the desktop.ini file are identical.

It's baffling me.

> "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:g0ovi.6958$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "bealoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> How can I get desktop.ini to display custom icons in windows XP for a
>>> folder on my FAT formatted USB thumbdrive.
>>>
>>> I have two USB thumb drives.
>>>
>>> One one of them there is a folder, and inside that folder there is a
>>> file called "Desktop.ini". That file has the hidden and system
>>> attributes set. The file contains this :-
>>>
>>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>>> IconFile=icon.ico
>>> IconIndex=0
>>> InfoTip="Useful Software Installation Packages."
>>>
>>> the folder also contains an icon, called "icon.ico".
>>>

>> The icon.ico file is the one *you* have got to change for
>> the icon of your choice.
>>
>> ie. IconFile=icon.ico

> Yes. I should have made clear that both folders have an icon file in.
> Proper icons, proper icon format. They're both called "icon.ico". I
> don't think the names are case sensitive, but I've checked the case (and
> carefulyl checked spelling) and the names of the files and the names in
> the desktop.ini file are identical.

Find the custom icon you want to use.
Pull a copy of it into the said folder (overwriting the existing one).
Rename it to icon.ico... and you should be good to go.

dadiOH

bealoid wrote:
> How can I get desktop.ini to display custom icons in windows XP for
> a folder on my FAT formatted USB thumbdrive.
>
> I have two USB thumb drives.
>
> One one of them there is a folder, and inside that folder there is
> a file called "Desktop.ini". That file has the hidden and system
> attributes set. The file contains this :-
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> IconFile=icon.ico
> IconIndex=0
> InfoTip="Useful Software Installation Packages."
>
> the folder also contains an icon, called "icon.ico".
>

> The other has a folder, with exactly the same file. The attribs
> have been set, and checked. The folder contains an icon.
>
> Both drives are formated as FAT.
>
> My laptop has windows xp home. I can see the custom icon for one
> of the folders, but I cannot make the other folder's custom icon
> display.

1. Put the icon you want displayed for the folder into the folder

2. Edit desktop.ini so that the line reading...
IconFile=icon.ico
uses the name of your new icon rather than "icon.ico"

3. Save the desktop.ini file back to where it was.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...