Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NFTS vs. FAT32

NFTS vs. FAT32

Slacker

Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I notice
it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all NFTS.

Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

--
"Beware of the man of one book."
- Thomas Aquinas

Ingeborg

Slacker wrote:

> Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I
> notice it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all
> NFTS.
>
> Wonder why this one is FAT32

Maybe for compatibility with Linux, Win98 or WinME?

> --- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

NTFS is more suitable for such large volumes.

doS

because fat32 cant see NTFS,but ntfs can see fat32, makes it easier for 98
users

"Slacker" <Slacker@> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I
> notice it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all NFTS.
>
> Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?
>

> --
> "Beware of the man of one book."
> - Thomas Aquinas

Plato

Slacker wrote:

> Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I notice
> it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all NFTS.
>
> Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

Nah, leave it be in fat32. This way, in an emergency and you need the
data back you can get it back on a win9X PC.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ron Martell

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>because fat32 cant see NTFS,but ntfs can see fat32, makes it easier for 98
>users

File systems don't "see" each other. It is the Windows version that
is critical.

Windows 2000 or Windows XP installed on a FAT32 drive/partition can
also access NTFS drives/partition with zero problems.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Bioret

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:46be23d6$2$98885$(E-Mail Removed):

> Slacker wrote:
>>
>> Just got a new Buffalo 500 USB external drive for my WIN XP system. I
>> notice it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all
>> NFTS.
>>
>> Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

> Nah, leave it be in fat32. This way, in an emergency and you need the
> data back you can get it back on a win9X PC.

I would suggest that you *do* format to NTFS. The reason is so that you
can have large files (fat32 wont let you have files bigger than 3GB or
something like that)

Plato

Bioret wrote:

> >> notice it's formatted in FAT32. My other external USB HDs are all
> >> NFTS.
> >>
> >> Wonder why this one is FAT32--- and should I reformat it to NFTS?

> > Nah, leave it be in fat32. This way, in an emergency and you need the
> > data back you can get it back on a win9X PC.

> I would suggest that you *do* format to NTFS. The reason is so that you
> can have large files (fat32 wont let you have files bigger than 3GB or
> something like that)

You are correct. If you need the external for large files then by all
means, do NTFS. Thanks for the follow-up.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Nfts Andy Petro Computer Support 3 02-22-2007 04:06 AM
FAT 32 OR NFTS Jan Lavallee Computer Support 3 06-19-2004 02:54 PM
FAT32 Filesystem knight1fox3 VHDL 1 12-03-2003 05:01 PM
Re: Question re:ntfs vs fat32 John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions Computer Support 7 07-09-2003 08:27 PM
Re: Should I use fat32 for win2k pro? or ntfs? The Prynce Computer Support 4 07-05-2003 03:22 AM

Advertisments