Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Eliminating ng messages in thunderbird

Eliminating ng messages in thunderbird

Nick D.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Nick D. wrote:
>> SG wrote:
>>>
>>> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

>> That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
>> from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
>> some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None
>> of the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started
>> using Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let
>> you delete messages and threads individually and I find that very
>> useful. Is there some reason, other than no one thought to include
>> it, that this feature isn't in Thunderbird?

> you cannot delete messages from a newsgroup server, as they don't belong
> to you. They are on the server. The only way to delete them is if you
> download for offline useage, then they reside on your hard drive.

I don't want to delete the message, I just want to delete the header. I
don't know how OE did it, but after headers were downloaded you could
select a header or all the headers in a collapsed thread and delete
them. AFAIK, this did not delete the actual messages, only the headers
on my computer, so I never had to see them again. That's what I'd like
to see here. I don't want to delete "all but the last xx messages" or
all messages "older than xx days", or all read messages, but these are
the only options I have in retention policy.

Nick D. wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Nick D. wrote:
>>> That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
>>> from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
>>> some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None
>>> of the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started
>>> using Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let
>>> you delete messages and threads individually and I find that very
>>> useful. Is there some reason, other than no one thought to include
>>> it, that this feature isn't in Thunderbird?

>> you cannot delete messages from a newsgroup server, as they don't belong
>> to you. They are on the server. The only way to delete them is if you
>> download for offline useage, then they reside on your hard drive.
>>

> I don't want to delete the message, I just want to delete the header. I
> don't know how OE did it, but after headers were downloaded you could
> select a header or all the headers in a collapsed thread and delete
> them. AFAIK, this did not delete the actual messages, only the headers
> on my computer, so I never had to see them again. That's what I'd like
> to see here. I don't want to delete "all but the last xx messages" or
> all messages "older than xx days", or all read messages, but these are
> the only options I have in retention policy.

OE basically does the same as TB, you can't delete someone
elses messages, but you can remove them from your view. TB
doesn't do that.

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Eliminating duplicate information in selected sorted rows Matt B XML 6 10-08-2005 07:56 PM
Is there a program for eliminating duplicate picture files? WF Computer Support 4 02-23-2005 09:13 PM
Eliminating a Startup Prog Solar^ Computer Support 8 09-15-2004 04:13 PM
Eliminating duplicate entries A.T. XML 1 07-22-2004 10:54 PM
newby: eliminating excess flipflops from simple state machine Paul Guy VHDL 3 05-27-2004 01:16 AM

Advertisments