Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Eliminating ng messages in thunderbird

Eliminating ng messages in thunderbird

Matt

In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom of
the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup messages
completely so you don't see them anymore?

SG

Matt wrote:
> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom of
> the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup messages
> completely so you don't see them anymore?

Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

Frank

SG wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post spam
or are nut cases?
Frank

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Frank wrote:
> SG wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
>>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
>>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
>>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

>> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

> Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post spam
> or are nut cases?
> Frank

no!

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Doug G

Frank wrote:
> SG wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
>>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
>>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
>>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

>> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

> Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post spam
> or are nut cases?
> Frank

Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5 guy
and others like him.

Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is created.

Frank

Doug G wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>> SG wrote:
>>>
>>> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

>> Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post
>> spam or are nut cases?
>> Frank

> Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
> trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5 guy
> and others like him.
>
> Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is
> created.

Is it as simple as creating filter from message and just OK'ing?
Frank

Doug G

Frank wrote:
> Doug G wrote:
>> Frank wrote:
>>> Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post
>>> spam or are nut cases?
>>> Frank

>> Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
>> trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5 guy
>> and others like him.
>>
>> Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is
>> created.

> Is it as simple as creating filter from message and just OK'ing?
> Frank

Try it and enable the filter log to see what it catches.

Frank

Doug G wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>> Doug G wrote:
>>> Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
>>> trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5
>>> guy and others like him.
>>>
>>> Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is
>>> created.

>> Is it as simple as creating filter from message and just OK'ing?
>> Frank

> Try it and enable the filter log to see what it catches.

Thanks. Tried it an it does not appear to work. Probably not worth
trying to invest a lot of time in. Used to do with old OE ng reader and
spammers would sneak in same junk under different name anyway.
Frank

Nick D.

SG wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None of
the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started using
Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let you delete
messages and threads individually and I find that very useful. Is there
some reason, other than no one thought to include it, that this feature
isn't in Thunderbird?

Nick D. wrote:
> SG wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
>>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
>>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
>>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

>> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

> That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
> from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
> some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None of
> the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started using
> Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let you delete
> messages and threads individually and I find that very useful. Is there
> some reason, other than no one thought to include it, that this feature
> isn't in Thunderbird?

you cannot delete messages from a newsgroup server, as they
don't belong to you. They are on the server. The only way
to delete them is if you download for offline useage, then
they reside on your hard drive.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Eliminating duplicate information in selected sorted rows Matt B XML 6 10-08-2005 07:56 PM
Is there a program for eliminating duplicate picture files? WF Computer Support 4 02-23-2005 09:13 PM
Eliminating a Startup Prog Solar^ Computer Support 8 09-15-2004 04:13 PM
Eliminating duplicate entries A.T. XML 1 07-22-2004 10:54 PM
newby: eliminating excess flipflops from simple state machine Paul Guy VHDL 3 05-27-2004 01:16 AM

Advertisments