Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is it possible to find the location of a TinyURL download link?

Is it possible to find the location of a TinyURL download link?

-Lost

If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is there
a way to find out the URL?

The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF viewing
enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in general, what other
ways could one go about finding the URL?

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding.

Mike Easter

-Lost wrote:
> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
> there a way to find out the URL?
>
> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link before
I go there.

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature.

<snip>
You currently have the preview feature enabled.
Click here to disable previews.
The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web browser.
</snip>

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-08-11, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> -Lost wrote:
>> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
>> there a way to find out the URL?
>>
>> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
>> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
>> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

> At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link before
> I go there.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
> instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
> going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature.
>
> <snip>
> You currently have the preview feature enabled.
> Click here to disable previews.
> The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web browser.
> </snip>

Even better, encourage people to quote both the actual URL and the
shortened alternative, so that everyone can see what the link is meant to
be.

I prefer <http://qurl.net/> <http://shurl.net/> <http://shortlinks.co.uk/>
and other such services that always take one first to a page displaying the
actual URL and give one a chance to stop before going there. See also
<http://notlong.com/links/>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

-Lost wrote:

> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
> there a way to find out the URL?

Instead of blindly clicking on the TinyURL, copy and paste it into your
location bar, and add "preview." to it before pressing Enter.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/<code-to-page>

--
-bts

Tester

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:15:19 -0500, "-Lost"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is there
>a way to find out the URL?
>
>The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF viewing
>enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in general, what other
>ways could one go about finding the URL?

URLSniffer (donationcoder.com) is a begware Windows program which
tells which URL's (default is multimedia-type URL's but it can be set
up for all) are being requested by your computer. It's sort of a
packet sniffer.

With TinyURL you could probably just use the HTTP HEAD command.
There'a little freeware windows program called viewhead but I've haded
for so long I forget where I got it. It would help to have a valid
tinyurl.com link here.

Let's see - if we look at Google Groups for tinyurl.com since Friday
we get the first hit is http://tinyurl.com/o8m9t

and this tells me that the location is a Google-UK search for some
sorta sports junk. so it works.

To do this with just telnet, run telnet.
Set localecho so you can see what you're typing.
open tinyurl.com 80
Now, type very carefully because backspace won't work correctly.
In this case, you need the following lines:

HEAD /o8m9t HTTP/1.1
HOST: tinyurl.com

(ending with 2 carriage returns)

Bert Hyman

In news:Xns998935D85F990lostthreads@216.196.97.136 "-Lost"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
> there a way to find out the URL?

Go to http://tinyurl.com/preview.php and enable preview.

Rather than going directly to the target, you'll go to tinyurl's site and
be shown the destination URL.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Vanguard

news:46bd806f$0$97269$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> -Lost wrote:
>> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
>> there a way to find out the URL?
>>
>> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
>> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
>> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

> At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link
> before
> I go there.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
> instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
> going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview
> feature.
>
> <snip>
> You currently have the preview feature enabled.
> Click here to disable previews.
> The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web
> browser.
> </snip>

Requires you keep their cookie so visiting their web site will have the
preview mode enabled.

Blinky the Shark

Whiskers wrote:
> On 2007-08-11, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> -Lost wrote:
>>> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
>>> there a way to find out the URL?
>>>
>>> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
>>> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
>>> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

>> At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link before
>> I go there.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
>> instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
>> going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature.
>>
>> <snip>
>> You currently have the preview feature enabled.
>> Click here to disable previews.
>> The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web browser.
>> </snip>

> Even better, encourage people to quote both the actual URL and the
> shortened alternative, so that everyone can see what the link is meant to
> be.

And if you include "preview" in the URL you've shortened, Tiny will show
them the true path and wait for approval or rejection from them.
Example:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2zasgs

That's for *other* people...

> I prefer <http://qurl.net/> <http://shurl.net/> <http://shortlinks.co.uk/>
> and other such services that always take one first to a page displaying the
> actual URL and give one a chance to stop before going there. See also

....and this is for you:

Which, as Mike said, Tiny will always do *for you* if you tell it to.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.

Blinky the Shark

Tester wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:15:19 -0500, "-Lost"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is there
>>a way to find out the URL?
>>
>>The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF viewing
>>enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in general, what other
>>ways could one go about finding the URL?

> URLSniffer (donationcoder.com) is a begware Windows program which
> tells which URL's (default is multimedia-type URL's but it can be set
> up for all) are being requested by your computer. It's sort of a
> packet sniffer.
>
> With TinyURL you could probably just use the HTTP HEAD command.

With TinyURL you could just use their preview feature to be shown the
URL and asked if you want to go there. Complication is certainly an
option, but it's an unnecessary one.

--

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"-Lost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is there
>a way to find out the URL?
>
>The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF viewing
>enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in general, what other
>ways could one go about finding the URL?

Opera:
Download it
Right click and select "Copy File information"
paste it in notepad and grab the link.

--

Neighborhood slut
http://www.speeds-cartoons.com/image...rhood-slut.jpg