Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's a Good Digital Camera for Time-Lapse Work?

What's a Good Digital Camera for Time-Lapse Work?

Scott en AztlŠn

I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
the lines of what you see in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01...apse-tutorial/

My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).

My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
newer camera. The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
a good job? Which ones?

Thanks for your help!
--
"It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
loved ones. F*CK YOU."

Pete D

Many of the current D-SLRs would be able to do this and would give a good
result. Main thing to look out for would be being able to connect an
intervalomenter or some sort of device that could take shots every N seconds
(or part of a second).

Cheers.

Pete

"Scott en AztlŠn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
> the lines of what you see in these videos:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
> http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01...apse-tutorial/
>
> My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
> some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
> can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
> some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
> require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).
>
> My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
> newer camera. The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
> so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
> a good job? Which ones?
>
> Thanks for your help!

John Kaiber

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 22:54:09 -0700, Scott en AztlŠn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
>the lines of what you see in these videos:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
>http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01...apse-tutorial/
>
>My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
>some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
>can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
>some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
>require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).
>
>My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
>newer camera. The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
>so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
>a good job? Which ones?
>
>Thanks for your help!

Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):

A610, Fw: 1.00D (with CHDK version for 1.00E), 1.00E, 1.00F
A620, Fw: 1.00F ( 1.00E is not compatible. You must upgrade to 1.00F first )
A630, Fw: 1.00C
A640, Fw: 1.00B
A700, Fw: 1.00B
A710 IS, Fw: 1.00A
S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A

Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

They're probably your best option. Using the CHDK uBASIC scripts that others
have written, or if you write your own, such as this OMNI Intervalometer script

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHD...Intervalometer

This one allows you to set intervals as long as you want, hours if needed, or as
short as you want in 1/10th second increments, up to high-speed burst mode rates
of 2.4fps. The one above will have to be modified if using it on Axxx cameras if
you want it to control your video and high-speed continuous modes too.

There's also the Ultra Intervalometer script

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHD...Intervalometer

That one works with all CHDK enabled cameras but has fewer features, no settings
for movie or high-speed continuous modes. The built-in intervalometers in
cameras or when using remote-shooting software with DSLRs connected to a laptop
they only use the first shot's exposure settings and focus for all subsequent
photos. These scripts will also auto-focus, white-balance, and set proper
exposure for each shot for the whole duration of a lengthy session. When used at
the fastest rates in single-shot modes this is like having continuous shooting
with refocusing for each shot.

You don't need some overpriced and overweight camera tethered to a laptop or
other computer to get what you need. CHDK capable cameras can do it all for you
just by themselves.

I read that someone is now doing the programming to include motion-detection
capabilities into CHDK, as well as allowing the motion-detection triggering to
be used through scripting functions, that's going to open up even more amazing
possibilities.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Scott en Aztl?n <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
> the lines of what you see in these videos:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
> http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01...apse-tutorial/
>
> My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
> some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
> can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
> some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
> require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).
>
> My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
> newer camera. The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
> so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
> a good job? Which ones?
>
> Thanks for your help!

The prosumer DSLRs should have no problem. I know the Canon Digital
Rebel series can be hooked up to a laptop for time lapse photography.
You can also connect an external timer to the remote control jack. Some
webcams and video cameras might even have a passable quality for this
kind of thing.

Art

I have good results with:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-TC80N3-R.../dp/B00009XVA3

on a 20d.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
>the lines of what you see in these videos:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
>http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01...apse-tutorial/
>
>My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
>some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
>can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
>some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
>require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).
>
>My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
>newer camera. The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
>so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
>a good job? Which ones?
>
>Thanks for your help!

Scott en AztlŠn

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:33:22 GMT, John Kaiber <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):
>
>S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
>S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A
>
>Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

And the S5 IS, also, I assume?

The S3 seems to have been discontinued and replaced with the S5.

>They're probably your best option.

Indeed - this is exactly what I need.

Thanks, John!
--
"It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
loved ones. F*CK YOU."
- Carl Rogers, 12/30/2006

Scott en AztlŠn

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:04:11 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some
>webcams and video cameras might even have a passable quality for this
>kind of thing.

Been there, done that. I have a couple of Logitech Quickcams that I
played around with and the results weren't exactly inspiring. A big
part of it is you don't have much control over a webcam's exposure.

Needless to say I'm looking to improve the quality of my results.
--

dennis@home

"Scott en AztlŠn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
> the lines of what you see in these videos:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
> http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01...apse-tutorial/
>
> My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
> some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
> can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
> some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
> require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).

Are you setting the capture quality too high?
For youtube you only need a small low quality image (less than VGA) and the
camera can probably do these far faster.

John Kaiber

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:48:49 -0700, Scott en AztlŠn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:33:22 GMT, John Kaiber <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):
>>
>>S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
>>S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A
>>
>>Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

>And the S5 IS, also, I assume?

No.

And as far as talks online go it appears nobody will be working on patching into
the S5 or any other camera that uses the new Digic III processor. There has been
some mention about Canon locking out any way that their cameras can be made more
useful in their newer models after having seen what can be done with CHDK. It
cuts into their more lucrative sales of overpriced dSLR hardware where they make
their real money. They can sell a $200 lens for $2000 to those not bright enough
to realize it. All one has to do is see how much the same lens designs were sold
for SLRs not long ago. In reality they should be even more inexpensive today due
to advances in manufacturing automation, not 10-20x's the price. Not unlike
printer companies that will sell you a printer for little more than it costs for
a set of ink cartridges, knowing that they can now make even more money by
selling you inexpensive pigments and water at a 10,000% mark-up.

>The S3 seems to have been discontinued and replaced with the S5.

The S3s are available but you have to hunt around. At one time prices dropped as
low as $100 for them by some retailers, averaging about $220 to $300. But now
that they are becoming harder to find some dealers are raising the prices back
up to $320 and higher on the few that they have left. Approaching the prices of
new S5s. Word is out that the S3 IS is in hot demand due to CHDK and that the S5
offers too little in improvements to make it worth the extra cost. In due time
the S3 IS may become the highest priced discontinued camera ever made. People
are realizing what an advanced camera it really is when CHDK is added onto it.
No other cameras on earth even come close in capability and adaptability. The S3
IS being the most versatile of the CHDK cameras. If you can't find an S3 IS
don't overlook any of the other models supported. You'll still have the same
amazing scripting features for time-lapse photography, and much more.

For example, check out the scripts that some have written for macro-photography
focus bracketing and HDR bracketing. There are no other cameras on earth with
that capability. I like the "Grids" feature too. I can design any framing-assist
for any print-size or movie display ratio that I desire. I can't wait for the
new motion-detection feature to be implemented. What a boon to unattended
wildlife photography, or remote-control operation using nothing more than a $2
laser pointer as your long-range cable release.

Scott en AztlŠn

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:43:44 GMT, John Kaiber <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:48:49 -0700, Scott en AztlŠn <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:33:22 GMT, John Kaiber <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):
>>>
>>>S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
>>>S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A
>>>
>>>Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

>>And the S5 IS, also, I assume?

>No.
>
>And as far as talks online go it appears nobody will be working on patching into
>the S5 or any other camera that uses the new Digic III processor.

In that case, I'm glad I didn't run out and buy an S5 today like I was
considering. I did some checking, and it seems there are still a
few S3's around here and there, so I will try and pick up one of
those.