Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Recorders w/Built-In Hard Drive: Fungibility Of Drives?

Recorders w/Built-In Hard Drive: Fungibility Of Drives?

(PeteCresswell)

Last year I bought a unit that records on DVDs and now I'm seeing
the error of my ways.

Gonna give that unit to somebody close who needs an updated box
and buy one that records to hard drive.

Question: How interchangeable/swappable are the drives in these
things? If I buy one with a 160-gig drive and terabyte drives
get cheap next year, is it going to be as simple as swapping out
the drive for one with a similar interface?

If it's possible, are some makes/models more amenable than
others?

The brass ring, of course, would be one with a USB2 or FireWire
port and the option to record and/or copy to an outside drive.
--
PeteCresswell

Stan Brown

Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:20:24 -0400 from (PeteCresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Question: How interchangeable/swappable are the drives in these
> things? If I buy one with a 160-gig drive and terabyte drives
> get cheap next year, is it going to be as simple as swapping out
> the drive for one with a similar interface?

I think it may be a bit harder than that. Look over in avsforum.com
and I think you'll find answers.

> The brass ring, of course, would be one with a USB2 or FireWire
> port and the option to record and/or copy to an outside drive.

I don't know of any yet, but look in the same place.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Jerry

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last year I bought a unit that records on DVDs and now I'm seeing
> the error of my ways.
>
> Gonna give that unit to somebody close who needs an updated box
> and buy one that records to hard drive.
>
> Question: How interchangeable/swappable are the drives in these
> things? If I buy one with a 160-gig drive and terabyte drives
> get cheap next year, is it going to be as simple as swapping out
> the drive for one with a similar interface?
>
> If it's possible, are some makes/models more amenable than
> others?
>
> The brass ring, of course, would be one with a USB2 or FireWire
> port and the option to record and/or copy to an outside drive.
> --
> PeteCresswell

I don't think anyone has successfully done that. The internal software will
limit the drive size to what came with the unit. Like Stan said you can
read all about it on the avs forum. While my Panasonic E85 was a great idea
at the time and I still use it, my new hddvr from my cable company records
in hd and has a firewire port that I've attached a 500gb external drive to,
works great.

Telstar

"Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:20:24 -0400 from (PeteCresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> Question: How interchangeable/swappable are the drives in these
>> things? If I buy one with a 160-gig drive and terabyte drives
>> get cheap next year, is it going to be as simple as swapping out
>> the drive for one with a similar interface?

Absolutely positively NO. Almost all ROMS on these are set for the hard
drive size for formatting, error recovery etc. There are a few that will
accept different HDs...but they are few. www.videohelp.com

Telstar

"Telstar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f9lfqt$quu$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:20:24 -0400 from (PeteCresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>> Question: How interchangeable/swappable are the drives in these
>>> things? If I buy one with a 160-gig drive and terabyte drives
>>> get cheap next year, is it going to be as simple as swapping out
>>> the drive for one with a similar interface?

> Absolutely positively NO. Almost all ROMS on these are set for the hard
> drive size for formatting, error recovery etc. There are a few that will
> accept different HDs...but they are few. www.videohelp.com

PS

There was a China company that introduced units with removable hard drives
as a feature of the product (like backup hard drive slots on PCs). You
might want to google.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:45:16 -0400, Stan Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:20:24 -0400 from (PeteCresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> Question: How interchangeable/swappable are the drives in these
>> things? If I buy one with a 160-gig drive and terabyte drives
>> get cheap next year, is it going to be as simple as swapping out
>> the drive for one with a similar interface?

>I think it may be a bit harder than that. Look over in avsforum.com
>and I think you'll find answers.
>
>> The brass ring, of course, would be one with a USB2 or FireWire
>> port and the option to record and/or copy to an outside drive.

>I don't know of any yet, but look in the same place.

It all depends on the file format the drive has been formatted with.

Also, even if one matches said formatting, the drive may contain volume
structures and or machine code in files that are required by the hardware
in order to "boot" the machine and make it operational.

So, it has NOTHING to do with the size of the drive, and EVERTHING to do
with the drive's interface methodology, and partitioning/file system
formatting, and any "system files" that are stored on the drive for
operation.

One thing that one could do is to place the drive on a PC, and boot
knoppix on it, and use the file partitioning tool utilized by Mandriva,
which has over 100 file systems under it's belt, all the back to the CP/M
days.

Still, the file system used could even be 100% proprietary to the
hardware maker as well, and only be recoverable by someone that can
examine the drive at the hardware level of the drive's inherent control
circuitry level.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Jerry:
>I don't think anyone has successfully done that. The internal software will
>limit the drive size to what came with the unit. Like Stan said you can
>read all about it on the avs forum. While my Panasonic E85 was a great idea
>at the time and I still use it, my new hddvr from my cable company records
>in hd and has a firewire port that I've attached a 500gb external drive to,
>works great.

FWIW, I took Stan's advice and read a few threads on
avsforum.com. Net result is that it looks to me like if your
E85's drive goes south, you can easily replace it with another
one - with the caveat that if the other one has more capacity,
you won't see the additional capacity.

I ran out to Best Buy, thinking I'd just grab a Panasonic E85 or
E95 off the shelf and be done with it. Oops!... nothing on the
shelves at all that records to a hard drive.

Stopped in Circuit City on the way home... same thing.

I've got to wonder if TVIO is making that niche so small that
it's not worth catering to.

--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per Archimedes' Lever:
> Also, even if one matches said formatting, the drive may contain volume
>structures and or machine code in files that are required by the hardware
>in order to "boot" the machine and make it operational.

I think Nick in another thread has me talked into doing an
end-run: something called WinFast: a card/software to allow my PC
to act like what I wanted in the OP.

If it turns out tb practical, I can see a couple of advantages:
- Cost. If it comes to a dedicated box, with a little dumpster
diving/using old components I think I can do the whole thing
as cheap as or even cheaper than $500-600 for a Panasonic E85.

Certainly adding it to one of my existing boxes sb much
cheaper.

- Scalability. New stuff comes along, I can replace selected
components - like the tuner card, hard drives, or video card.

Or even the WinFast card itself - Who knows? Some day we might
get wild and crazy and stop being the only people for miles
around without cable...-)
PeteCresswell

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:09:51 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Per Archimedes' Lever:
>> Also, even if one matches said formatting, the drive may contain volume
>>structures and or machine code in files that are required by the hardware
>>in order to "boot" the machine and make it operational.

>I think Nick in another thread has me talked into doing an
>end-run: something called WinFast: a card/software to allow my PC
>to act like what I wanted in the OP.
>
>If it turns out tb practical, I can see a couple of advantages:
>- Cost. If it comes to a dedicated box, with a little dumpster
> diving/using old components I think I can do the whole thing
> as cheap as or even cheaper than $500-600 for a Panasonic E85.
>
> Certainly adding it to one of my existing boxes sb much
> cheaper.
>
>- Scalability. New stuff comes along, I can replace selected
> components - like the tuner card, hard drives, or video card.
>
> Or even the WinFast card itself - Who knows? Some day we might
> get wild and crazy and stop being the only people for miles
> around without cable...-)

Look into "MythTV".

(PeteCresswell)

Per ChairmanOfTheBored: