Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > The perfect HD Usage monitor

The perfect HD Usage monitor

Luca Villa

I consider myself an IT expert but I never found the solution to
this...
My PC has 4GB of RAM but often it's slow because the HD goes into near-
to-100% activity.
I would to know what program/process is causing this near-to-100% HD
activity but I often don't found the solution.

I enabled all the columns related to I/O of the Task Manager but this
often didn't help to find the guilty process.
Then in Windows Vista I tried to see under Resource Monitor - Disk but
this often didn't help too.
I found that both the tools are not always able to well represent the
Process - HD usage association in the same clear way the Task Manager
shows the Process - CPU % usage.

Do you know a program that represents the Process - HD usage
association in the same clear way the Task Manager shows the Process -
CPU % usage?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Luca Villa wrote:
> I consider myself an IT expert but I never found the solution to
> this...
> My PC has 4GB of RAM but often it's slow because the HD goes into near-
> to-100% activity.
> I would to know what program/process is causing this near-to-100% HD
> activity but I often don't found the solution.
>
> I enabled all the columns related to I/O of the Task Manager but this
> often didn't help to find the guilty process.
> Then in Windows Vista I tried to see under Resource Monitor - Disk but
> this often didn't help too.
> I found that both the tools are not always able to well represent the
> Process - HD usage association in the same clear way the Task Manager
> shows the Process - CPU % usage.
>
> Do you know a program that represents the Process - HD usage
> association in the same clear way the Task Manager shows the Process -
> CPU % usage?

Process Monitor:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Luca Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do you know a program that represents the Process - HD usage
>association in the same clear way the Task Manager shows the Process -
>CPU % usage?

Not the same way but it will show disk usage
FileMon and Process Monitor (also shows reg usage)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...utilities.mspx
or http://tinyurl.com/yy5vph

--

How to Rip Netflix "Watch Now" movies to your hard drive!
http://forum.rorta.net/showthread.php?t=1134

Gerry

Luca

I would recommend Process Explorer.

For further information about Process Explorer see here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties,
Services. Note there are the full names and
some explanation of what each service does.

You will find further information on Services here:
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services
are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab
allow it a little time to display the information.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Luca Villa wrote:
> I consider myself an IT expert but I never found the solution to
> this...
> My PC has 4GB of RAM but often it's slow because the HD goes into
> near- to-100% activity.
> I would to know what program/process is causing this near-to-100% HD
> activity but I often don't found the solution.
>
> I enabled all the columns related to I/O of the Task Manager but this
> often didn't help to find the guilty process.
> Then in Windows Vista I tried to see under Resource Monitor - Disk but
> this often didn't help too.
> I found that both the tools are not always able to well represent the
> Process - HD usage association in the same clear way the Task Manager
> shows the Process - CPU % usage.
>
> Do you know a program that represents the Process - HD usage
> association in the same clear way the Task Manager shows the Process -
> CPU % usage?

Ophelia Cummins

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:34:55 +0100, Gerry wrote:

> Luca
>
> I would recommend Process Explorer.
>
> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
>
> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
> producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties, Services.
> Note there are the full names and some explanation of what each service
> does.
>
> You will find further information on Services here:
> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

http://www.blackviper.com/

The real Black Viper has been updating his domain. He explains what
happened to the domain, when it was down.

<snip>

WhzzKdd

"Ophelia Cummins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:34:55 +0100, Gerry wrote:
>
>> Luca
>>
>> I would recommend Process Explorer.
>>
>> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
>>
>> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
>> producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties, Services.
>> Note there are the full names and some explanation of what each service
>> does.
>>
>> You will find further information on Services here:
>> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

> http://www.blackviper.com/
>
> The real Black Viper has been updating his domain. He explains what
> happened to the domain, when it was down.

One of my favorites - I can't wait until I have time to go through his new
"Bare-Bones" Vista configuration. Of course, I have to do that in a virtual
PC enviroment so I don't trash my laptop <g>.