Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Lack of Documentation, what would you do?

Reply
Thread Tools

Lack of Documentation, what would you do?

 
 
Larry Bud
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2007
I started with this company in March, and quickly found out NOTHING is
documented. I couldn't get you a list of server names if my life
depended on it. When I started there were 2 .net guys (me and
another guy).

Well, a couple of weeks ago the other .NET developer quit, and I'm
left supporting all the websites he created, with ZERO
documentation. For example, one site handles online bill pay. The
customer had a question regarding a transaction. Well, I don't even
know what database or server the data is on, let alone the table where
the transaction is stored.

What would you do if you were left in a situation like this? I have
SEVERAL support issues a day that has left me with no time to actually
program. I've brought this up with the VP of IT, and I get the
familar line of "yeah, we do need to start documenting everything..."
then nothing ever happens. No docs, no standards, no program life
cycle, NO TEST ENVIRONMENT! (unless you count your laptop as a "test"
environment).

I've even had to debug applications where the ONLY source code is on
the now-defunct programmers old laptop(they've had 4 or 5 programmers
leave in the last 8 months). Just trying to find the source code is a
PITA, let alone code with no comments and no documentation! It's
chaos!

They are getting 2 more .net guys in the next 3 weeks, but I don't see
that helping much. They'll just be in the same boat as I am in.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2007
welcome to the world of corporate america.

I'm a consultant, and every where, I mean everywhere I face this same issue
and get this same line. I think its taught in IT management 101 class

"yeah, we do need to start documenting everything..."

What I normally do is, I actually start documenting the app I'm working on,
and ask a ton of questions and by the time I leave, there is documents on
most apps I've worked on and a diagram of the infrastructure (servers,
databases, etc). This happens about 90% of the time, and the other 10%, the
mgrs just don't care so I don't bother to even do it.



"Larry Bud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I started with this company in March, and quickly found out NOTHING is
> documented. I couldn't get you a list of server names if my life
> depended on it. When I started there were 2 .net guys (me and
> another guy).
>
> Well, a couple of weeks ago the other .NET developer quit, and I'm
> left supporting all the websites he created, with ZERO
> documentation. For example, one site handles online bill pay. The
> customer had a question regarding a transaction. Well, I don't even
> know what database or server the data is on, let alone the table where
> the transaction is stored.
>
> What would you do if you were left in a situation like this? I have
> SEVERAL support issues a day that has left me with no time to actually
> program. I've brought this up with the VP of IT, and I get the
> familar line of "yeah, we do need to start documenting everything..."
> then nothing ever happens. No docs, no standards, no program life
> cycle, NO TEST ENVIRONMENT! (unless you count your laptop as a "test"
> environment).
>
> I've even had to debug applications where the ONLY source code is on
> the now-defunct programmers old laptop(they've had 4 or 5 programmers
> leave in the last 8 months). Just trying to find the source code is a
> PITA, let alone code with no comments and no documentation! It's
> chaos!
>
> They are getting 2 more .net guys in the next 3 weeks, but I don't see
> that helping much. They'll just be in the same boat as I am in.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tomisarobot@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2007
blackmail for a raise imo.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
an oddball scary kind of thing you would think would never happen richard Computer Support 4 01-31-2010 06:34 PM
Would a lack of line breaks in a doc cause parsing problems ? charliefortune XML 19 09-27-2007 10:44 PM
Re: If you were a software application, what would you be? Fred Computer Support 0 07-25-2005 02:01 AM
If you are trapped in ancient time, what would you take? nospamphoto@none.com Digital Photography 69 06-30-2004 09:03 PM
lack of response from you Scraggy Computer Support 11 06-10-2004 08:02 PM



Advertisments