Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Windows security

Windows security

Jim Watt

Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
dropping a cursor into it?

Much have I googled to no avail ...
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Tim Jackson

Jim Watt wrote:
> Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
> resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
> dropping a cursor into it?
>
> Much have I googled to no avail ...
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

You can track the registered class name and handle number of the window
that currently has focus, using Borland's WinSight.

This utility shipped with their Windows C++ and Pascal compiler packages
back in the '90s, (now distributed under the name codegear.com). I dare
say it or something like it is still around in more recent incarnations,
but that is the one I have on my system. I don't know of any way of
obtaining it separately.

I've used it a few times to build 'driver' programs that take control of
a commercial application by issuing mouse click and other events to its
windows, thus allowing my program to effectively run the application as
a task without having to rely on the availability of command line
parameters.

Tim Jackson
www.tim-jackson.co.uk

Jim Watt

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:28:42 +0100, Tim Jackson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>> Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
>> resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
>> dropping a cursor into it?
>>
>> Much have I googled to no avail ...
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

>You can track the registered class name and handle number of the window
>that currently has focus, using Borland's WinSight.
>
>This utility shipped with their Windows C++ and Pascal compiler packages
>back in the '90s, (now distributed under the name codegear.com). I dare
>say it or something like it is still around in more recent incarnations,
>but that is the one I have on my system. I don't know of any way of
>obtaining it separately.
>
>I've used it a few times to build 'driver' programs that take control of
>a commercial application by issuing mouse click and other events to its
>windows, thus allowing my program to effectively run the application as
>a task without having to rely on the availability of command line
>parameters.
>

>Tim Jackson
>www.tim-jackson.co.uk

Thanks for that, on checking it comes with Delphi5 too
However, it does not give me the window name. I want to
do exactly what you describe.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Tim Jackson

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:28:42 +0100, Tim Jackson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Jim Watt wrote:
>>> Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
>>> resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
>>> dropping a cursor into it?
>>>

>> You can track the registered class name and handle number of the window
>> that currently has focus, using Borland's WinSight.
>>

>> I've used it a few times to build 'driver' programs that take control of
>> a commercial application by issuing mouse click and other events to its
>> windows

> Thanks for that, on checking it comes with Delphi5 too
> However, it does not give me the window name. I want to
> do exactly what you describe.

It gives you the window class name in curly brackets and title
(caption), if any, in quotes. These are what you need to give
FindWindow() to retrieve the handle. It also gives in block caps the
name of the process (usually the executable file name).

Use FindWindow() to find the application main window on the desktop.
Once you've got that, navigate child windows either by FindWindowEx(),
or by EnumChildWindows(). You can identify unnamed child windows (eg
controls in a dialog) by their relative coordinates. Then take control
of the controls using PostMessage() to send a BN_CLICKED or some such.

Tim

nemo_outis

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
> resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
> dropping a cursor into it?
>
> Much have I googled to no avail ...
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

You could try spy++ (real name: spyxx.exe - comes with visual studio) or
winspector.

See, for instance:

Using Spy++ to Discover a Window Class Name
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX103137

Regards,