Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless monitoring

wireless monitoring

nospam

Hi,

I have just set up a wireless network at home.

The main computer is connected to the ADSL modem/router via an ethernet
cable and my kids PC is connected wirelessly.

All works OK.

but there are times when I see the WAN light on the router flashing
quite a lot when the kids PC is turned off.

Is there any way of monitoring who/what is using the wireless - if
anyone.

I have wpa-psk set up and have changed the channel from the default.

Both PC are running win2k sp4.

Maybe I am worrying about nothing!

Sooner Al

Look at AirSnare...

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have just set up a wireless network at home.
>
> The main computer is connected to the ADSL modem/router via an ethernet
> cable and my kids PC is connected wirelessly.
>
> All works OK.
>
> but there are times when I see the WAN light on the router flashing
> quite a lot when the kids PC is turned off.
>
> Is there any way of monitoring who/what is using the wireless - if
> anyone.
>
> I have wpa-psk set up and have changed the channel from the default.
>
> Both PC are running win2k sp4.
>

> Maybe I am worrying about nothing!

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

Try the administration interface of your wireless router.
Does it have web management interface?
Are there any info screens that alow to see list of active
connected stations, traffic counters etc. ?

--PA

"nospam" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just set up a wireless network at home.
>
> The main computer is connected to the ADSL modem/router via an ethernet
> cable and my kids PC is connected wirelessly.
>
> All works OK.
>
> but there are times when I see the WAN light on the router flashing
> quite a lot when the kids PC is turned off.
>
> Is there any way of monitoring who/what is using the wireless - if
> anyone.
>
> I have wpa-psk set up and have changed the channel from the default.
>
> Both PC are running win2k sp4.
>

> Maybe I am worrying about nothing!

nospam

Pavel A. <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Try the administration interface of your wireless router.
>Does it have web management interface?

Yes and there does not appear to be any screens, I have been through
them all, that show any network traffic.

It shows who is allowed to connect.
But that doesn't explain the activity I see on the router when the PC
with the wireless card is switched off.