Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > JPEGS are DOTs?

JPEGS are DOTs?

Joe

Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it only
saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

Joe.

Evan Platt

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:34:44 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
>your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it only
>saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
>first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

An example of this website would help.

why?

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:34:44 GMT, Joe wrote:

>Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
>your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it only
>saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
>first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

A URL for an example is always handy.

Check if there is a similar question in alt.html.

JavaScript, Transparent GIF, layers.... iframe?

Maybe it's not div's and positioning.

Other browsers?

Me

why?

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:34:44 GMT, Joe wrote:

>Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
>your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it only
>saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
>first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

Simple JavaScript rollover to swap URLs for the image.

Me

thanatoid

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ETKui.43512$(E-Mail Removed) k:

> Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save
> the photos to your hard drive and instead when you select
> 'save target as' in IE, it only saves a file called
> 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
> first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?
>
> Joe.

You can sometimes get around this and save the image anyway by
turning off Java or by using the OffByOne browser, one of the
best kept secrets in the hell that is www (IMHO).

Depending on your browser, it is also quite possible that the
image ends up in the cache anyway, just with an
incorrect/misleading extension and some insane name.

--
"This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
- illyria

sittingduck

Scott W. Wetmore wrote:

> dot.jpg is most likely just a placeholder graphic. The author of the site
> has placed the very tiny "dot.jpg", image over the image you are viewing
> (and attempting to save), and has coded it to not display. This prevents
> most users from swiping images by right clicking.

Dump your cache and revisit the site.
Check your browser's temp files, and the picture will be there.

Scott W. Wetmore

Joe,

dot.jpg is most likely just a placeholder graphic. The author of the site
has placed the very tiny "dot.jpg", image over the image you are viewing
(and attempting to save), and has coded it to not display. This prevents
most users from swiping images by right clicking.

Scott

news:ETKui.43512$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
> your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it
> only saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by
> this at first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?
>
> Joe.

Another flash question - jpegs in flash movie acting oddly. Jim Higson HTML 1 09-21-2004 10:38 PM
Problem with imageio: ImageReader stalls on JPEGs at ~95% Aaron Davies Java 4 06-30-2004 07:43 PM
Can't restore files association or view JPEGs in AXIM X5 say@no.to.spam Computer Support 3 10-02-2003 07:48 PM
created jpegs Brian Henry ASP .Net 2 07-21-2003 05:45 PM
Mozilla and JPEGs James Firefox 4 07-07-2003 10:21 AM

Advertisments