Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Would you return this new camera?

Would you return this new camera?

remove_@no.spam

I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
photos.

I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.

It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
defect to you? Would you return the camera?

I'm posting original pics below:

Blank wall 1
http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG

Blank wall 2
http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG

Actual photo
http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG

Actual LCD display.
http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG

(The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
the lower lamp.)

Joseph Meehan

> I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
> spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
> dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
> below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
> goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
> changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
> of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
> it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
> wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
> background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
> photos.
>
> I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
> possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
> Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
>
> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
> defect to you? Would you return the camera?
>
> I'm posting original pics below:
>
> Blank wall 1
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
>
> Blank wall 2
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
>
> Actual photo
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
>
> Actual LCD display.
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
>
> (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
> lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
> the lower lamp.)

In word, yes. I might check to see if there is a visable spot of dust
on the front or rear elements that you can safely clean off.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[]
> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
> defect to you? Would you return the camera?

No. No. Yes.

David

Steven Campbell

> I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
> possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
> Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.

Even if it was only $5 you should take it back as it is faulty.

Somebody

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
> spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
> dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
> below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
> goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
> changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
> of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
> it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
> wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
> background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
> photos.
>
> I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
> possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
> Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
>
> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
> defect to you? Would you return the camera?
>
> I'm posting original pics below:
>
> Blank wall 1
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
>
> Blank wall 2
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
>
> Actual photo
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
>
> Actual LCD display.
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
>
> (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
> lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
> the lower lamp.)

Return it for a new one. Its a pain, but you paid for a new camera not a
defective one.

Somebody!

Gino

Have you cleaned the front of the lens?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
> spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
> dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
> below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
> goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
> changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
> of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
> it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
> wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
> background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
> photos.
>
> I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
> possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
> Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
>
> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
> defect to you? Would you return the camera?
>
> I'm posting original pics below:
>
> Blank wall 1
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
>
> Blank wall 2
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
>
> Actual photo
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
>
> Actual LCD display.
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
>
> (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
> lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
> the lower lamp.)

Ron Hunter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
> spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
> dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
> below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
> goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
> changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
> of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
> it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
> wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
> background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
> photos.
>
> I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
> possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
> Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
>
> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
> defect to you? Would you return the camera?
>
> I'm posting original pics below:
>
> Blank wall 1
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
>
> Blank wall 2
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
>
> Actual photo
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
>
> Actual LCD display.
> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
>
> (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
> lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
> the lower lamp.)

Yes, return it!

remove_@no.spam

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I thought there might be dust on the front of the lens and I
cleaned it, but no change.

It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

I'm going to return it.

Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:26:36 +0100, "Gino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you cleaned the front of the lens?
>

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
>> spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
>> dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
>> below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
>> goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
>> changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
>> of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
>> it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
>> wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
>> background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
>> photos.
>>
>> I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
>> possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
>> Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
>>
>> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
>> defect to you? Would you return the camera?
>>
>> I'm posting original pics below:
>>
>> Blank wall 1
>> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
>>
>> Blank wall 2
>> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
>>
>> Actual photo
>> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
>>
>> Actual LCD display.
>> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
>>
>> (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
>> lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
>> the lower lamp.)

zipper40hDIESPAMMERS@netscape.net

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:29:59 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>[]
>> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
>> defect to you? Would you return the camera?

>No. No. Yes.
>
>David

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

Craig

"Nothing matters but the weekend, from a Tuesday point of view."

Mark Sieving

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:26:19 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
>wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
>manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
>for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

I don't know anything about Canon's quality control procedures in
particular, but in general very few manufacturers test every product
coming off the line. They test a statistically significant sample of
products, with the realization that some defective items will get by.
That's what warranties are for.

Mark Sieving