Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > High Speed Golf club and ball collisions- images

High Speed Golf club and ball collisions- images

kinsman

I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.

http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/

Ted

Rich

On Aug 9, 12:48 pm, kinsman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
> guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
> by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
> captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
>
> http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
>
> Ted

Pretty useless. Too small and covered with watermarks.

Thomas Bates

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 12:48 pm, kinsman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
> > guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
> > by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
> > captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
> >
> > http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
> >
> > Ted

> Pretty useless. Too small and covered with watermarks.

Agreed. The water misting was mis-thought. The downward angle says
nothing of the collision and for the most part are before or after the
collision while to some point important to set the scene, it's useless.

A better thing would have been to take a hint from Dr. Edgerton and
shoot directly into the club and ball from the height of the tee-ball
collision. You also need more flash speed.

These say nothing of the launch angle or spin(how about a mark on the
ball there!) and so on.

If I were the text book editor, I'd consider shooting some more.
--
Tom

Hap Shaughnessy

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:48:16 -0400, kinsman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
>guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
>by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
>captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
>
>http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
>
>Ted

Thanks for sharing.

I didn't realize how much a golf ball compressed on impact with a
club. Interesting photos.

http://sciencephotography.com/projec.../golfb0134.jpg &
http://sciencephotography.com/projec.../golfb0147.jpg

Best of luck with the publication.

Hap

Allen

Hap Shaughnessy wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:48:16 -0400, kinsman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
>> guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
>> by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
>> captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
>>
>> http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
>>
>> Ted

> Thanks for sharing.
>
> I didn't realize how much a golf ball compressed on impact with a
> club. Interesting photos.
>
> http://sciencephotography.com/projec.../golfb0134.jpg &
> http://sciencephotography.com/projec.../golfb0147.jpg
>
> Best of luck with the publication.
>
> Hap

On the other hand, I was surprised at the small amount of compression. I
expected more, perhaps because it has been close to 50 years ago that I
finally realized that I couldn't play golf. This lack of compression
does indicate that club shafts absorb a great deal of the impact, that
would otherwise be noticed rather forcefully in the wrists, elbows and
shoulders.
Allen