Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox ignoring CSS color on first view

Firefox ignoring CSS color on first view

Ben C

On 2007-08-09, alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> This is what I'm wondering, but if it is an error in the code, that
> implies that there is a bit of code that could make text a different
> color the first time it is viewed in Firefox. So even though I don't
> have that code in front of me, can someone show me what kind of code -
> could- do this, if it is possible?

It's not possible, at least not unless you do it deliberately by writing
a cookie or tracking connections on the server. Neither are things you
could very feasibly do by accident.

There must be some other explanation.

If the second person saw black then red, but the first time they visited
the page was after it had been changed to red, then perhaps the black
version was not in the browser's cache but in the cache of a proxy
between the real server and the browser.

When you update a web-page, people can still connect (for the first
time) and get the old one for a little while. Publishing things on the
www is done by "pull" not "push". In other words, the new page isn't
pushed out to all the computers in the world, it just sits there and
they have to come and get it. A page can be marked with an expiry date
and a proxy should re-fetch any cached page anyone asks for which is
past its date. I'm not sure if the server puts some reasonable default
if you don't set it up, or if the page just goes out with no date and
proxies use their own defaults.

alice

> It's not possible, at least not unless you do it deliberately by writing
> a cookie or tracking connections on the server. Neither are things you
> could very feasibly do by accident.

This is what I thought, thanks for being able to answer it, and not
just saying I'm lame for not providing the code or URL.

> There must be some other explanation.
>
> If the second person saw black then red, but the first time they visited
> the page was after it had been changed to red,

The whole reason that this troubled me, is that it was never -changed-
to red, it always was red. There never could have been a black version
to be cached in any way shape or form. This is why I'm wondering if
anyone else has experienced this.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > It's not possible, at least not unless you do it deliberately by writing
> > a cookie or tracking connections on the server. Neither are things you
> > could very feasibly do by accident.

> This is what I thought, thanks for being able to answer it, and not
> just saying I'm lame for not providing the code or URL.
>

> > There must be some other explanation.
> >
> > If the second person saw black then red, but the first time they visited
> > the page was after it had been changed to red,

> The whole reason that this troubled me, is that it was never -changed-
> to red, it always was red. There never could have been a black version
> to be cached in any way shape or form. This is why I'm wondering if
> anyone else has experienced this.

It is not hard to get puzzles with links when you have complex
style sheets. There are all sorts of tricky issues that can throw
one. There are default style sheets that operate. In other words,
apart from cache, a browser takes all the css into account and
resolves according to the cascading rules. These are not
intuitively simple in practice. A url is very important in this
and there is nothing lame about the call for it.

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:14:45 GMT
alice scribed:

>> It's not possible, at least not unless you do it deliberately by writing
>> a cookie or tracking connections on the server. Neither are things you
>> could very feasibly do by accident.

> This is what I thought, thanks for being able to answer it, and not
> just saying I'm lame for not providing the code or URL.
>

>> There must be some other explanation.
>>
>> If the second person saw black then red, but the first time they visited
>> the page was after it had been changed to red,

> The whole reason that this troubled me, is that it was never -changed-
> to red, it always was red. There never could have been a black version
> to be cached in any way shape or form. This is why I'm wondering if
> anyone else has experienced this.

What does the page look like with css disabled?

--
Neredbojias

Ben C

On 2007-08-09, alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
>> If the second person saw black then red, but the first time they visited
>> the page was after it had been changed to red,

> The whole reason that this troubled me, is that it was never -changed-
> to red, it always was red. There never could have been a black version
> to be cached in any way shape or form. This is why I'm wondering if
> anyone else has experienced this.

That is strange. I'm leaning towards dorayme's suggestion that it might
have had something to do with the HTML page arriving before the CSS file
in some way for some reason.

alice

On Aug 10, 11:40 am, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-08-09, alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> If the second person saw black then red, but the first time they visited
> >> the page was after it had been changed to red,

> > The whole reason that this troubled me, is that it was never -changed-
> > to red, it always was red. There never could have been a black version
> > to be cached in any way shape or form. This is why I'm wondering if
> > anyone else has experienced this.

> That is strange. I'm leaning towards dorayme's suggestion that it might
> have had something to do with the HTML page arriving before the CSS file
> in some way for some reason.

That actually sounds like the first plausible theory so far. I did
happen on two different PCs, so if it was a freak accident it may have
been on the part of the server or network, which does open up a whole
series of possibilities. A third person in the office did not have the
same experience.

Jonathan N. Little

alice wrote:
> On Aug 10, 11:40 am, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2007-08-09, alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> The whole reason that this troubled me, is that it was never -changed-
>>> to red, it always was red. There never could have been a black version
>>> to be cached in any way shape or form. This is why I'm wondering if
>>> anyone else has experienced this.

>> That is strange. I'm leaning towards dorayme's suggestion that it might
>> have had something to do with the HTML page arriving before the CSS file
>> in some way for some reason.

> That actually sounds like the first plausible theory so far. I did
> happen on two different PCs, so if it was a freak accident it may have
> been on the part of the server or network, which does open up a whole
> series of possibilities. A third person in the office did not have the
> same experience.

Of course we may dispel the speculation if we could actually *see* the code!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <5bb6b$46bcee18$40cba7aa$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Of course we may dispel the speculation if we could actually *see* the code!

It _is_ exquisitely frustrating! To think, for all his need for
secrecy, we could poke about as much as we liked in Luigi's code.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <5bb6b$46bcee18$40cba7aa$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Of course we may dispel the speculation if we could actually *see* the code!
>>

> It _is_ exquisitely frustrating! To think, for all his need for
> secrecy, we could poke about as much as we liked in Luigi's code.

I bet the answer is invalid markup. Firefox makes one *assumption* on
first load as page is build from remote source but makes another upon
drawing from cache. I have see such behavior with other bad pages and
other browsers...but screw it if this page is so secret the OP can live
with the problem!

--
Take care,

Jonathan