Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can only see one way on network.

Reply
Thread Tools

Can only see one way on network.

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2004
Ok....
After two days I'm still stuck!
One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP Pro.
Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found nothing.
What am I missing!?!?!?!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2004
R-Dub wrote:

> Ok....
> After two days I'm still stuck!
> One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running
> XP Pro.
> Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
> but
> cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> nothing. What am I missing!?!?!?!


The first thing to check is whether you've allowed the lan connection in
a firewall. If you have SP2 and a third-party firewall, disable the
Windows Firewall. Put your lan IP range in the third-party firewall's
exceptions as allowed. Exact configuration will differ depending on the
firewall. If you do not have a third-party firewall and are using the
Windows Firewall, make sure that File & Printer Sharing is enabled in
the Firewall's Exceptions.

Aside from that, go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's network
troubleshooter here:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2004
Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is allowed on
both. The XP firewall is disabled.

"Malke" wrote:

> R-Dub wrote:
>
> > Ok....
> > After two days I'm still stuck!
> > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running
> > XP Pro.
> > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
> > but
> > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> > nothing. What am I missing!?!?!?!

>
> The first thing to check is whether you've allowed the lan connection in
> a firewall. If you have SP2 and a third-party firewall, disable the
> Windows Firewall. Put your lan IP range in the third-party firewall's
> exceptions as allowed. Exact configuration will differ depending on the
> firewall. If you do not have a third-party firewall and are using the
> Windows Firewall, make sure that File & Printer Sharing is enabled in
> the Firewall's Exceptions.
>
> Aside from that, go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's network
> troubleshooter here:
>
> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2004
R-Dub wrote:

> Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is
> allowed on
> both. The XP firewall is disabled.
>

Fine. Go through Hans-Georg's troubleshooter. Post the results here if
you still need help afterwards.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Carey Holzman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2004
www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"R-Dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok....
> After two days I'm still stuck!
> One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
> Pro.
> Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
> cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> nothing.
> What am I missing!?!?!?!



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2004
Carey,
I went through your procedure for the third time and finally found the piece
I was overlooking. Somehow I kept missing the "Binding for LAN connections".
TCP/IP was not checked on the desktop machine. Everything is working fine
now! Thanks for your help!

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "R-Dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ok....
> > After two days I'm still stuck!
> > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
> > Pro.
> > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
> > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> > nothing.
> > What am I missing!?!?!?!

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Carey Holzman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2004
You're very welcome. Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
link is in the lower-left corner)

Thanks!
Carey

"R-Dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey,
> I went through your procedure for the third time and finally found the
> piece
> I was overlooking. Somehow I kept missing the "Binding for LAN
> connections".
> TCP/IP was not checked on the desktop machine. Everything is working fine
> now! Thanks for your help!
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "R-Dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ok....
>> > After two days I'm still stuck!
>> > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
>> > Pro.
>> > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
>> > but
>> > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
>> > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
>> > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
>> > nothing.
>> > What am I missing!?!?!?!

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitor can only display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you can only see 8 bit? Scotius Digital Photography 6 07-13-2010 03:33 AM
Desktop can see Laptop, but Laptop can't see Desktop! Plomaris Wireless Networking 3 02-17-2006 01:41 PM
can see each share folder/computer but only one can access? =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?= Wireless Networking 5 06-03-2005 01:05 AM
computer freezing-can't see replies-please see inside Fourdogs Computer Support 1 12-06-2004 05:12 AM
Can you see why I'm getting a NoClassDefFoundError here? I can't see it :< Flip Java 3 02-09-2004 10:13 PM



Advertisments