Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > The Lounge > Sound System

Sound System

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

And now for something completely different.

Nah, not really, just been watching a few too many episodes of Monty Pythons Flying Circus recently Got all 4 seasons, lol.

The reason I'm reviving this dead thread is that I have made a new addition to my sound system of sorts. In this case though, it's just a new pair of headphones. After having 3 pairs of headphones die in 4 months due to faulty cords, I decided to give wireless audio a try.
The result was Sennheiser R 110 RF Headphones.

Being Sennheiser, I expect nothing but the highest quality, and from my experiences with these headphones so far, I'm gonna get it. The headset is unbelieveably comfortable, very high quality sound, battery life is good so far, and the 100 metre range is useful for house-wandering. Also, because we get a lot of interference in our area, the three channels may be useful too. The only drawback so far with this set is that the transmitter is not a cradle; it does not recharge the batteries when not in use. This doesn't overly concern me, as I have a charger next to my computer anyway, so I'll just leave it charging when i'm done for the night.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/09917

The lack of the recharging cradle does not really surprise me; these are, after all, the cheapest RF headphones Sennheiser produces. At $180AUD, I think they were worth it, but I am an Audiophile. Anyone who doesn't value sound quality to such a degree would probably think these are a waste of money.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

I've been pretty much glued to BBC the past few weeks myself. Every once in a while I crave British television.

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

lol, I just happened to find all 4 sesons of the flying circus on torrent, took me 9GB of bandwidth to get them all. Went over our 20GB bandwidth limit last month from downloading 2 seasons of it, other 2 seasons ate 4GB of this months bandwidth in 2 days :S

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

i was going to get that torrent, but once i noticed the 9GB and then i looked at my free HDD space, i freaked out...

You got that audiophile spot on, i would neva spend 180 bucks on a pair of wireless headphones, infact i would never buy wireless Headphones.

Last edited by unholy; 03-27-2006 at 06:07 AM..

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

Thats because of your damn signal-less house Wires for you, no wires for me.

And by the way Unholy, you didn't noticed "that torrent", because they were uploaded as 4 separate torrents, one per season. No trying to fit in now, it won't work

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

It must suck to have a limit on how much bandwidth you can use. If I check my widget that shows what I've up/downloaded it's usually in and around the 100gb per month range, if not more. That'd actually be a pretty slow month. What do they do to you if you go over that limit, charge you more?

I don't like wireless headphones either, unless it's for stuff like gaming or whatever, for serious audiophile listening I'd rather have wired headphones of a nicer quality, a set of Senheiser's or Stax electrostatics.

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

These headphones ARE the higher quality headphones. The reason I wanted wireless was because the *cord* is what killed my last 3 pairs of headphones. These match the performance of my last pair, a pretty good set of AVLabs ones. If I didn't already have some l33t sound power in my bedroom, then yeah, I'd go for some super high quality wired ones too. But after having lots of problems with cords dying on me, I thought I'd try some Sennheiser wireless ones.

The bandwidth thing is annoying, yeah, we get our net throttled back to 64k speed if we go over the limit. Doesn't actually cost us money, just speed.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Maybe they're better quality than what Unholy's using but wireless headphones can't by their very nature be as good as wired headphones. A good pair of Stax Electrostatic headphones will blow any wireless set out of the water with plenty of room to spare. Considering a pair of 'em from the 1960's can't even be found for under $1000 that's not exactly surprizing is it? If you're having cord problems, might I suggest you stop tugging your cord? <Smirk> You could go blind, er, deaf?

Anywho, that sucks about the bandwidth thing, I wouldn't put up with that, but, what do you pay a month and for what speed?

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

$49.95 a month for 1.5 megabit.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

That's a ripoff I'm afraid. I think our basic starter Comcast package (Cable) is about that price ($29 a month for the first 3 months though) and it's more like 4gb. I have the business plan which is $79 a month for 10mb. There aren't any bandwidth caps though.