Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > DHCP Server

DHCP Server

NetworkNewbie

Hi All...I have another question I am trying to understand...
How does a DHCP Server know what reservation is associated with a
client?
Thanks.

SJ

by MAC Address.

"NetworkNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi All...I have another question I am trying to understand...
> How does a DHCP Server know what reservation is associated with a
> client?
> Thanks.

Kurt

The IP address is reservered for a specific MAC address.

"NetworkNewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi All...I have another question I am trying to understand...
> How does a DHCP Server know what reservation is associated with a
> client?
> Thanks.

TechGeekPro

On Nov 14, 2005 at 7:38pm "NetworkNewbie" blathered:

> Hi All...I have another question I am trying to understand...
> How does a DHCP Server know what reservation is associated with a
> client?

You see, the client knows how to *take* the reservation, it just doesn't know
how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of
the reservation: the holding. That's where the DHCP Server comes in.

*Anybody* can just take them.

HTH, HAND

--
TGP MCNGP #100100