Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Incompetent web authoring or much worse?

Incompetent web authoring or much worse?

dorayme

Notice that

<http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi.../broadband-at-
home.aspx>

employs a picture that includes the "fine print" conditions for a
broadband plan. There is a question whether this was deliberate,
in respect to the fine print, to make it hard to read or just
incompetence?

--
dorayme

andrew

On 2007-08-08, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Notice that
>
><http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi.../broadband-at-
> home.aspx>
>
> employs a picture that includes the "fine print" conditions for a
> broadband plan. There is a question whether this was deliberate,
> in respect to the fine print, to make it hard to read or just
> incompetence?

And in a slightly off-topic aside: what exactly is the man with the
sunglasses doing?

Andrew

--
'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment
it seemed that a look of pain passed over his face,

Blinky the Shark

andrew wrote:
> On 2007-08-08, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Notice that
>>
>><http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi.../broadband-at-
>> home.aspx>
>>
>> employs a picture that includes the "fine print" conditions for a
>> broadband plan. There is a question whether this was deliberate,
>> in respect to the fine print, to make it hard to read or just
>> incompetence?

> And in a slightly off-topic aside: what exactly is the man with the
> sunglasses doing?
>
> Andrew

Looks like he's deodorizing his favorite red Speedos.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.

cwdjrxyz

On Aug 8, 6:11 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Notice that
>
> <http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi.../broadband-at-
> home.aspx>
>
> employs a picture that includes the "fine print" conditions for a
> broadband plan. There is a question whether this was deliberate,
> in respect to the fine print, to make it hard to read or just
> incompetence?

I don't know how things are done in Australia, but I would guess the
fine print would be much more likely intentional for a US company, and
there might be a page or two written in it in terms that lawyers best
understand.

We now have a lot of broadband competition in the US and prices have
greatly dropped in the last two years. My telephone company ATT has
teamed up with Yahoo to offer 1 dialup and 2 DSL plans. The standard
price(not limited time sucker ad price) for the elite plan I have is
now about US$ 35 per month if you use the ATT telephone service, and I
am getting a measured download of about 5 Mbps and an upload of about
650 kbps, if the server is not overloaded or there are not other
problems on the web that slow everything down. Of course you have to
live in a city fairly close to the telephone office to enroll in this
top speed DSL plan. Download is not measured - I can download as much
as I want without speed being reduced. Last night I downloaded a 1.9
GB mpeg2 old classic movie in about 2 hours. Even considering that 1
USD = about 1.2 AD, the Virgin plan seems very expensive for what you
get - well under 1Mbps download and restrictions on download
bandwidth. Of course conditions are quite different in the US and
Australia. Perhaps Virgin needs a little more broadband competition to
bring down prices. Well over half of US computer users(perhaps around
70%) are on broadband of some sort now.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:11:42 GMT
dorayme scribed:

> Notice that
>
> <http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi.../broadband-at-
> home.aspx>
>
> employs a picture that includes the "fine print" conditions for a
> broadband plan. There is a question whether this was deliberate,
> in respect to the fine print, to make it hard to read or just
> incompetence?

I dunno, the text is pretty noticeable and even prominent; it's not like
they're trying to hide it. Of course we all know your personal
fussbudgetry index is hovering well above zero.

I agree with cyw-whatever, though, that it's not a good deal, -at least in
the US. Furthermore, 512 kbps isn't particularly "hi-speed" for hi-speed
connections, anyway. I'd hold out for something better.

--
Neredbojias

Blinky the Shark

andrew wrote:
> On 2007-08-08, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Notice that
>>
>><http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi.../broadband-at-
>>home.aspx>
>>
>> employs a picture that includes the "fine print" conditions for a
>> broadband plan. There is a question whether this was deliberate, in
>> respect to the fine print, to make it hard to read or just
>> incompetence?

> And in a slightly off-topic aside: what exactly is the man with the
> sunglasses doing?

SECOND RESPONSE:

WAIT! I didn't know that there were rotating images there. All I (and
apparently you) saw was the spraying-his-red-speedos image. Now I see
that in the next one he's a hairdresser working on a chick who's wearing
a red headband thingmy. I *did* think "hairdresser" when I was looking
at the original spraying-his-shorts image, but there wasn't anything
else there to pull that idea together. And "broadband" doesn't exactly
conjure up a normal connection with "hairdresser" -- at least not with
me.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.
Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Aug 8, 6:11 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Notice that
> >
> > <http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi.../broadband-at-
> > home.aspx>
> >
> > employs a picture that includes the "fine print" conditions for a
> > broadband plan. There is a question whether this was deliberate,
> > in respect to the fine print, to make it hard to read or just
> > incompetence?

> I don't know how things are done in Australia, but I would guess the
> fine print would be much more likely intentional for a US company, and
> there might be a page or two written in it in terms that lawyers best
> understand.
>
> We now have a lot of broadband competition in the US and prices have
> greatly dropped in the last two years. My telephone company ATT has
> teamed up with Yahoo to offer 1 dialup and 2 DSL plans. The standard
> price(not limited time sucker ad price) for the elite plan I have is
> now about US$ 35 per month if you use the ATT telephone service, and I
> am getting a measured download of about 5 Mbps and an upload of about
> 650 kbps, if the server is not overloaded or there are not other
> problems on the web that slow everything down. Of course you have to
> live in a city fairly close to the telephone office to enroll in this
> top speed DSL plan. Download is not measured - I can download as much
> as I want without speed being reduced. Last night I downloaded a 1.9
> GB mpeg2 old classic movie in about 2 hours. Even considering that 1
> USD = about 1.2 AD, the Virgin plan seems very expensive for what you
> get - well under 1Mbps download and restrictions on download
> bandwidth. Of course conditions are quite different in the US and
> Australia. Perhaps Virgin needs a little more broadband competition to
> bring down prices. Well over half of US computer users(perhaps around
> 70%) are on broadband of some sort now.

I think what attracted my daughter and her husband to this plan
was the telephone part of the plan... the dorayme half of that
happy union likes to gab a lot on the phone. They use a dial up
service for internet at the moment.

I agree, it looks a bit expensive for the speed. Here you can
generally get between 1 and 4GB download limit for a month at
reasonable enough speeds (between 1.5 and 6.5 Mbps) for between
$30 and $40 Aust.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article
<Xns9986C785F4690nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190. 161>,
Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I dunno, the text is pretty noticeable and even prominent;

Of course you would think so. Anything that is really idiotic
attracts you. Text that is small point on web pages that does not
resize and every other goddamn thing that is crazy. You never did
slip into that nice comfortable thing for me did you? I meant the
sort of coma that would stop you saying so much that is false for
a long time.

--
dorayme

William Gill

> I agree with cyw-whatever, though, that it's not a good deal, -at least in
> the US. Furthermore, 512 kbps isn't particularly "hi-speed" for hi-speed
> connections, anyway. I'd hold out for something better.

"hi-speed" is relative. When I first started engineering data circuits
anything above 1200 baud was considered "hi-speed." I know some folks
in the podunks that would love to get 512 kbps.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:12:04 GMT
dorayme scribed:

> In article
> <Xns9986C785F4690nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190. 161>,
> Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I dunno, the text is pretty noticeable and even prominent;

> Of course you would think so. Anything that is really idiotic
> attracts you. Text that is small point on web pages that does not
> resize and every other goddamn thing that is crazy. You never did
> slip into that nice comfortable thing for me did you? I meant the
> sort of coma that would stop you saying so much that is false for
> a long time.

Er, is it that time of the month again? I will have to adjust my
calendar...

--
Neredbojias