Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Web Form and ADO.NeT Transaction

Web Form and ADO.NeT Transaction

Lit

Hi,

using ADO.NET 2.0, VS.NET 2005, SQL2005
I need to execute several Stored Procedures under one transaction. Can I
use just one command/transaction or have to use multiple ( then commit or
rollback all )
How does it work with ADO.NET

Ado.Tran
SP1 Called
loop
SP2 Called
SP3 Called
loop
SP4 Called
loop
Sp5 Called
Etc... etc...

if any error
rollback transaction ( or all transactions )
else
committe Transaction ( or all Transactions )

Thanks for any help or other Ideas, needs also code links etc..

Lit

Aidy

Have a look here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...DataPoints/#S6

"Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> using ADO.NET 2.0, VS.NET 2005, SQL2005
> I need to execute several Stored Procedures under one transaction. Can I
> use just one command/transaction or have to use multiple ( then commit or
> rollback all )
> How does it work with ADO.NET
>
> Ado.Tran
> SP1 Called
> loop
> SP2 Called
> SP3 Called
> loop
> SP4 Called
> loop
> Sp5 Called
> Etc... etc...
>
> if any error
> rollback transaction ( or all transactions )
> else
> committe Transaction ( or all Transactions )
>
> Thanks for any help or other Ideas, needs also code links etc..
>

> Lit

Lit

Aidy,
I have one question, but first thanks for the great link.

in Figure 8, I see the following code
oCmd1.Transaction = oTran;
oCmd1.ExecuteNonQuery();

oCmd2.Transaction = oTran;
oCmd2.ExecuteNonQuery();

Question is: Can I reuse the same command object? by setting the
command.Text to a different SP and Different Parameters instead of creating
different command objects.
would that work and is it more efficient.

Thanks again,

Lit

"Aidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have a look here
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...DataPoints/#S6
>
> "Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> using ADO.NET 2.0, VS.NET 2005, SQL2005
>> I need to execute several Stored Procedures under one transaction. Can I
>> use just one command/transaction or have to use multiple ( then commit or
>> rollback all )
>> How does it work with ADO.NET
>>
>> Ado.Tran
>> SP1 Called
>> loop
>> SP2 Called
>> SP3 Called
>> loop
>> SP4 Called
>> loop
>> Sp5 Called
>> Etc... etc...
>>
>> if any error
>> rollback transaction ( or all transactions )
>> else
>> committe Transaction ( or all Transactions )
>>
>> Thanks for any help or other Ideas, needs also code links etc..
>>

>> Lit

Aidy

Don't see what you can't re-use the same command object but I don't think
you'll particularly gain anything.

"Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aidy,
> I have one question, but first thanks for the great link.
>
> in Figure 8, I see the following code
> oCmd1.Transaction = oTran;
> oCmd1.ExecuteNonQuery();
>
> oCmd2.Transaction = oTran;
> oCmd2.ExecuteNonQuery();
>
> Question is: Can I reuse the same command object? by setting the
> command.Text to a different SP and Different Parameters instead of
> creating different command objects.
> would that work and is it more efficient.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Lit
>

> "Aidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have a look here
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...DataPoints/#S6
>>
>> "Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> using ADO.NET 2.0, VS.NET 2005, SQL2005
>>> I need to execute several Stored Procedures under one transaction. Can
>>> use just one command/transaction or have to use multiple ( then commit
>>> or rollback all )
>>> How does it work with ADO.NET
>>>
>>> Ado.Tran
>>> SP1 Called
>>> loop
>>> SP2 Called
>>> SP3 Called
>>> loop
>>> SP4 Called
>>> loop
>>> Sp5 Called
>>> Etc... etc...
>>>
>>> if any error
>>> rollback transaction ( or all transactions )
>>> else
>>> committe Transaction ( or all Transactions )
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help or other Ideas, needs also code links etc..
>>>

>>> Lit

Lit

Aidy,

By reusing the Command Object I can reduce the number of objects in the heap
memory?

Thanks for your help.

Lit

"Aidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't see what you can't re-use the same command object but I don't think
> you'll particularly gain anything.
>
> "Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Aidy,
>> I have one question, but first thanks for the great link.
>>
>> in Figure 8, I see the following code
>> oCmd1.Transaction = oTran;
>> oCmd1.ExecuteNonQuery();
>>
>> oCmd2.Transaction = oTran;
>> oCmd2.ExecuteNonQuery();
>>
>> Question is: Can I reuse the same command object? by setting the
>> command.Text to a different SP and Different Parameters instead of
>> creating different command objects.
>> would that work and is it more efficient.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Lit
>>

>> "Aidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have a look here
>>>
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...DataPoints/#S6
>>>
>>> "Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Aidy

Yeah, but you'll need to clear out the old parameters collection. Maybe you
are using slightly less space, but you need to execute more commands.
Swings and roundabouts really.

"Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aidy,
>
> By reusing the Command Object I can reduce the number of objects in the
> heap memory?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Lit
>
> "Aidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don't see what you can't re-use the same command object but I don't think
>> you'll particularly gain anything.
>>
>> "Lit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Aidy,
>>> I have one question, but first thanks for the great link.
>>>
>>> in Figure 8, I see the following code
>>> oCmd1.Transaction = oTran;
>>> oCmd1.ExecuteNonQuery();
>>>
>>> oCmd2.Transaction = oTran;
>>> oCmd2.ExecuteNonQuery();
>>>
>>> Question is: Can I reuse the same command object? by setting the
>>> command.Text to a different SP and Different Parameters instead of
>>> creating different command objects.
>>> would that work and is it more efficient.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Lit
>>>

>>> "Aidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Lit

Aidy,

you got a good point there. It is going to be a balancing game.
I will have to think about my domain of contexts ( small infinity ) and see
what would be best.

Thank you for the enlightenment.