Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RWIN size

RWIN size

tomm

I have achieved speeds of up to 5 meg with another modem in the past on
talktalk (uk) .. My system does not seem to like this moden however & after
the initial use I have never managed to connect again with it.
So I went back to by speedtouch 330 & tried using new drivers. The speed
with these drivers (2.2 meg) was slightly worse than using my ancient
drivers.
So I saw a 2 part fix on the thompson site .. the first was a small prog
changing my registry settings which gave me a half a meg increase. The 2nd
part was this advice:

"Adapt the Windows TCP/IP received windows (RWIN) size to allow for the
higher rate download. These changes are different for each Windows operating
system version, and we therefore recommend consulting your Windows
documentation "

I have googled , but to be honest I am a bit lost. How can I find the
values I need ?
I am using XP pro version 2002 service pack 2

thanks

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

--
Ascii Stereogram Movie
http://www.kammerl.de/ascii/AsciiStereoMovie.php

why?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 23:36:24 +0100, tomm wrote:

>I have achieved speeds of up to 5 meg with another modem in the past on
>talktalk (uk) .. My system does not seem to like this moden however & after
>the initial use I have never managed to connect again with it.
> So I went back to by speedtouch 330 & tried using new drivers. The speed
>with these drivers (2.2 meg) was slightly worse than using my ancient
>drivers.
> So I saw a 2 part fix on the thompson site .. the first was a small prog
>changing my registry settings which gave me a half a meg increase. The 2nd
>part was this advice:
>
>"Adapt the Windows TCP/IP received windows (RWIN) size to allow for the
>higher rate download. These changes are different for each Windows operating
>system version, and we therefore recommend consulting your Windows
>documentation "
>
> I have googled , but to be honest I am a bit lost. How can I find the
>values I need ?

Dozens of tuning sites and 1000's of forum posts.

Results 1 - 10 of about 56,200 English pages for
microsoft windows rwin
.. (0.23 seconds)

Usual sites for such info,

SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads
Microsoft Windows 98SE NDIS Intermediate Drivers Patch ... The only
disadvantage that I know of, is that that the 373360 RWIN value seems
bogus, ...
www.speedguide.net/downloads.php - 83k - Cached - Similar pages

Rwin Settings
Reading an old tip file, it suggested that I change my RWin setting. It
gave the following to change: ... Microsoft Windows XP Microsoft
Windows Vista ...
http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2...ict472673.html -
33k -

Cable Modem Troubleshooting Tips: Networking tweaks
The RWIN tweak will be more significant to Windows 9x users than to ...
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks: this is both a security
risk and a ...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ps/tweaks.html - 21k -
Cached - Similar pages

Need advice for wireless dsl connection - SpeedGuide.net Broadband ...
Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS: ....
[Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] ...
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=199207 - 62k - Cached -
Similar pages

SpeedGuide.net :: Windows 2000/XP Registry Tweaks
Note: For best results RWIN has to be a multiple of MSS lower than 65535
times a .... DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Internet
Settings ...
www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157 - 126k - Cached - Similar
pages

alt.winsock FAQ
1) Trumpet Winsock A) Which MTU, TCP RWIN, and TCP MSS settings are
best? .... Today's most popular Internet applications for Microsoft
Windows and IBM OS/2 ...
www.faqs.org/faqs/windows/winsock-faq/ - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

> I am using XP pro version 2002 service pack 2
>
> thanks

Me

Looking for help with MTU/RWIN settings to optimize EVDO Matt Wireless Networking 0 06-29-2007 02:26 AM
RWin Settings for multiple connection types nntp.post@gmail.com Wireless Networking 9 01-06-2006 01:23 AM
RWIN Nowhere Computer Support 2 03-17-2005 02:07 PM
RWIN Nowhere Computer Support 0 03-17-2005 12:06 PM

Advertisments