Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Simple JSP fails!!!

Simple JSP fails!!!

kai@icered.com

Hey guys, I got something strange going on here.

I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
One Windows, One Unix.

We test on the Windows box, and then upload to the Unix box. Both
have identical files.

Starting yesterday, whenever I upload a file to the Linux box, I get a
500 error (see below). The JSPs work fine on the Windows box, but
break on the Unix box. I tried uploading a simple "Hello World" JSP
to the Unix box, and the JSP failed with the same error as before.

The strange thing is, I can take a JSP that is working fine on the
Unix box, download it, and re-upload it, and it fails. Same exact
JSP. No changes.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

exception

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jav acError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:
97)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacEr ror(ErrorDispatcher.java(Inlined
Compiled Code))

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass( Compiler.java(Compiled
Code))
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java:497)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java(Inlined
Compiled Code))
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java(Inlined
Compiled Code))

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(Js pCompilationContext.java(Compiled
Code))

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.servic e(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
Code))

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java(Compiled
Code))
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java(Compiled
Code))
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java(Compiled
Code))

root cause

Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac. java:93
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac. java:75

[...]

Manish Pandit

On Aug 8, 2:45 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> [...]
> Code))
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java:497)
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java(Inlined
> Compiled Code))
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java(Inlined
> Compiled Code))
>
> org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(Js pCompilationContext.java(Compiled
> Code))
>
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.servic e(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
> Code))
>
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java(Compiled
> Code))
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java(Compiled
> Code))
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java(Compiled

Do you have the compiler output log? That should state the reason for
compilation failure - if you could paste it here, it'd be great. It
might (a huge might..till we see the compiler log) be the encoding of
the files when you xfer them from one box to another. Just wondering -
why do not you use ant's tomcat task to deploy remotely on both boxes?
That way you can have 1 identical war on both instead of individual
JSPs.

-cheers,
Manish

-cheers,
Manish

kai@icered.com

On Aug 8, 5:06 pm, Manish Pandit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.servic e(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
> > Code))

> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java(Compiled
> > Code))
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java(Compiled
> > Code))
> > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java(Compiled
> > Code))

> Do you have the compiler output log? That should state the reason for
> compilation failure - if you could paste it here, it'd be great. It
> might (a huge might..till we see the compiler log) be the encoding of
> the files when you xfer them from one box to another. Just wondering -
> why do not you use ant's tomcat task to deploy remotely on both boxes?
> That way you can have 1 identical war on both instead of individual

I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?

The Apache log says this:

2007-08-08 18:14:09 StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for
servlet jsp threw exception
Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac. java:93
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac. java:75
at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass( Compiler.java(Compiled
Code))
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java:
497)
at
[...]
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java(Compile d
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invo keNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo keInternal(StandardContextValve.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invo keNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invo keNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invo keNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invo keNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Cont ainerBase.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(Co yoteAdapter.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyo teHandler.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(Handler Request.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelS ocket.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnecti on(ChannelSocket.java(Compiled
Code))
at
org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(Channe lSocket.java(Compiled
Code))
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java(Compiled Code))
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:570)

Manish Pandit

On Aug 8, 4:49 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> [...]

> org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyo teHandler.java(Compiled
> Code))
> at
> org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(Handler Request.java(Compiled
> Code))
> at
> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelS ocket.java(Compiled
> Code))
> at
> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnecti on(ChannelSocket.java(Com*piled
> Code))
> at
> org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(Channe lSocket.java(Compiled
> Code))
> at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
> $ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java(Compiled Code))
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:570)- Hide quoted text -

Normally the compiler output is a part of console output, just like it
spews out deprecation warnings. I ran ant just now to verify, and was
able to see 'cannot find symbol' kind of compile-time errors right
there on the console.

This just struck me (as you mentioned it strated messing up from
yesterday) - Can you check your Linux box to see if it is not full?

$ df

df should give you the usage - if available is 0 or used is 100%, that
is what the problem could be.

-cheers,
Manish

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

> Hey guys, I got something strange going on here.
>
> I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
> One Windows, One Unix.
>
> We test on the Windows box, and then upload to the Unix box. Both
> have identical files.
>
> Starting yesterday, whenever I upload a file to the Linux box, I get a
> 500 error (see below). The JSPs work fine on the Windows box, but
> break on the Unix box. I tried uploading a simple "Hello World" JSP
> to the Unix box, and the JSP failed with the same error as before.
>
> The strange thing is, I can take a JSP that is working fine on the
> Unix box, download it, and re-upload it, and it fails. Same exact
> JSP. No changes.
>
> Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Could it be the good ole CR/LF problem between DOS - *NIX? Try running
the jsp through dos2unix or similar tool.

--
Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Op3racional
www.op3racional.eu

Nigel Wade

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
> Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
> Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?

You need to determine where your Tomcat keeps its log files. That will depend on
how your Tomcat installation was performed. Was it a package which came as part
of the Linux distro you are using? The location of the log files might be a
configuration option during the Tomcat setup.

One place you might look is /var/log. That is the most common place for daemons
to store their log files. See if there is anything illuminating in there, such
as a Tomcat or Catalina log file, or a directory containing logfiles.

E-mail : (E-Mail Removed)
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Lew

Nigel Wade wrote:
> You need to determine where your Tomcat keeps its log files. That will depend on
> how your Tomcat installation was performed. Was it a package which came as part
> of the Linux distro you are using? The location of the log files might be a
> configuration option during the Tomcat setup.
>
> One place you might look is /var/log. That is the most common place for daemons
> to store their log files. See if there is anything illuminating in there, such
> as a Tomcat or Catalina log file, or a directory containing logfiles.

On my Linux box the Tomcat logs are in ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs/.

--
Lew

Nigel Wade

Lew wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
>>> Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
>>> Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?

> Nigel Wade wrote:
>> You need to determine where your Tomcat keeps its log files. That will depend

on
>> how your Tomcat installation was performed. Was it a package which came as

part
>> of the Linux distro you are using? The location of the log files might be a
>> configuration option during the Tomcat setup.
>>
>> One place you might look is /var/log. That is the most common place for

daemons
>> to store their log files. See if there is anything illuminating in there,

such
>> as a Tomcat or Catalina log file, or a directory containing logfiles.

> On my Linux box the Tomcat logs are in ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs/.

That presupposes you know the value of CATALINA_HOME.

Unless you are actually logged in as the tomcat user that env. variable is
probably not set. The OP might not know where on their system its value could
be obtained from.

E-mail : (E-Mail Removed)
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

kai@icered.com

I did a search for CATILINA_HOME on the Unix box.

echo $CATALINA_HOME turns up nothing. Does that mean that
CATALINA_HOME somehow became deleted?

Roedy Green

>I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
>One Windows, One Unix.

Have you run any minimal test JSP on both servers yet? You may have
a general config error, nothing to do with your particular servlet.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary