Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How much to US developers charge

How much to US developers charge

Romper

I picked up a client in the US, who were not happy with their old web
developer, and we are taking over the project.

Our position in the market place is
1) providing a quality service, and
2) not charging the client an arm and a leg. Sure, we need to make a profit
(and will, we work on quite a few projects at once) but I have no clue how
much US web developers charge per hour on average. We dont have an hourly
rate as we usually fix prices and start from scratch.

There is a HUGE amount of work to be done, lots of nasty half finished ends
to pick up and sort out, the only possible way to fairly quote the client is
by giving him an hourly rate.

In summary, I would like to offer a US client a fair, normal and common
hourly rate to fix up an ecommerce web site which contains all the usual
scripting/database and flash stuff. Im not entirely sure what to charge
though, for both of the reasons mentioned above.

So, what is the going rate in the USofA with regards to hourly rates.
Not the most expensive
Not the cowboys
Not the bedroom programmers...
Just the average going rate, a fair days work for a fair days pay.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Romper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I picked up a client in the US, who were not happy with their old web
> developer, and we are taking over the project.
>
> Our position in the market place is
> 1) providing a quality service, and
> 2) not charging the client an arm and a leg. Sure, we need to make a profit
> (and will, we work on quite a few projects at once) but I have no clue how
> much US web developers charge per hour on average. We dont have an hourly
> rate as we usually fix prices and start from scratch.
>
> There is a HUGE amount of work to be done, lots of nasty half finished ends
> to pick up and sort out, the only possible way to fairly quote the client is
> by giving him an hourly rate.
>
> In summary, I would like to offer a US client a fair, normal and common
> hourly rate to fix up an ecommerce web site which contains all the usual
> scripting/database and flash stuff. Im not entirely sure what to charge
> though, for both of the reasons mentioned above.
>
> So, what is the going rate in the USofA with regards to hourly rates.
> Not the most expensive
> Not the cowboys
> Not the bedroom programmers...
> Just the average going rate, a fair days work for a fair days pay.

You are experienced in charging to make a fair profit elsewhere,
right? Then charge that.

--
dorayme

SAZ

says...
> I picked up a client in the US, who were not happy with their old web
> developer, and we are taking over the project.
>
> Our position in the market place is
> 1) providing a quality service, and
> 2) not charging the client an arm and a leg. Sure, we need to make a profit
> (and will, we work on quite a few projects at once) but I have no clue how
> much US web developers charge per hour on average. We dont have an hourly
> rate as we usually fix prices and start from scratch.
>
> There is a HUGE amount of work to be done, lots of nasty half finished ends
> to pick up and sort out, the only possible way to fairly quote the client is
> by giving him an hourly rate.
>
> In summary, I would like to offer a US client a fair, normal and common
> hourly rate to fix up an ecommerce web site which contains all the usual
> scripting/database and flash stuff. Im not entirely sure what to charge
> though, for both of the reasons mentioned above.
>
> So, what is the going rate in the USofA with regards to hourly rates.
> Not the most expensive
> Not the cowboys
> Not the bedroom programmers...
> Just the average going rate, a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Take what you charge in your country and convert it to US Dollars.

Romper

> You are experienced in charging to make a fair profit elsewhere,
> right? Then charge that.
>
> --
> dorayme

(The spec is massive, with lots of loose ends, none of us could possibly
provide a fixed quote for the client, re: how much work the project will
actually turn out to be. Its too big, there are too many loose ends. The
only fair way for all of us would be an hourly rate.

As I said, we always charge fixed prices. Its the way we have always worked,
for the sole reason that 99% of the projects we get are new, and start from
scratch).

My question was: What does a middle of the road web dev company tend to
charge in the USA

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Romper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > You are experienced in charging to make a fair profit elsewhere,
> > right? Then charge that.
> >
> > --
> > dorayme

> (The spec is massive, with lots of loose ends, none of us could possibly
> provide a fixed quote for the client, re: how much work the project will
> actually turn out to be. Its too big, there are too many loose ends. The
> only fair way for all of us would be an hourly rate.
>
> As I said, we always charge fixed prices. Its the way we have always worked,
> for the sole reason that 99% of the projects we get are new, and start from
> scratch).
>
> My question was: What does a middle of the road web dev company tend to
> charge in the USA

OK. I know the difficulty well. It is just that almost any answer
you get here will be subject to so many qualifications that it
might well not be useful to you.

You _must_ have an idea of how much per hour you have been
charging in effect (in effect with hindsight, you will follow
me?) in your successful contracts. So charge that.

What will actually happen is this if you are not so confident of
your efficiency and are the type to be revising a lot and aiming
for perfection, fussing and all that (it is a bad condition that
many of us are afflicted by!) you will do the work, it will look
outlandish to charge for the actual hours and you will use your
common sense based on (by that stage) greater knowledge and feel
for the company you are dealing with, to pare it back a bit.

But, as I said, just quote what you have experience of on the per
hour basis.

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:11:54
GMT Romper scribed:

> (The spec is massive, with lots of loose ends, none of us could
> possibly provide a fixed quote for the client, re: how much work the
> project will actually turn out to be. Its too big, there are too many
> loose ends. The only fair way for all of us would be an hourly rate.
>
> As I said, we always charge fixed prices. Its the way we have always
> worked, for the sole reason that 99% of the projects we get are new,
> and start from scratch).
>
> My question was: What does a middle of the road web dev company tend
> to charge in the USA

Bottom line for top company - about $60-$65 per hour. Others will surely
demure, but notice I said "bottom line". And in case you're confused,
dorayme is Australian.

--
Neredbojias

dorayme

In article
<Xns9986A1E121979nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190. 161>,
Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And in case you're confused,
> dorayme is Australian.

That is so relevant. You continue to act all brain damaged but
refuse to send a sample of your brain for analysis.

--
dorayme

Kevin Scholl

Neredbojias wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:11:54
> GMT Romper scribed:
>
>> (The spec is massive, with lots of loose ends, none of us could
>> possibly provide a fixed quote for the client, re: how much work the
>> project will actually turn out to be. Its too big, there are too many
>> loose ends. The only fair way for all of us would be an hourly rate.
>>
>> As I said, we always charge fixed prices. Its the way we have always
>> worked, for the sole reason that 99% of the projects we get are new,
>> and start from scratch).
>>
>> My question was: What does a middle of the road web dev company tend
>> to charge in the USA

> Bottom line for top company - about $60-$65 per hour. Others will surely
> demure, but notice I said "bottom line".

Can you elaborate then on what you mean by "bottom line"?

Most top companies for whom I've worked and dealt with price out their
designers and developers easily into triple figures; $120 or $125 per
hour is not all that uncommon.

Granted, those individuals may only see half of (if) that in their
paychecks. Perhaps that's what you mean by "bottom line"...

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(E-Mail Removed)
Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
the dreams...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:14:54 GMT
dorayme scribed:

> In article
> <Xns9986A1E121979nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190. 161>,
> Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> And in case you're confused,
>> dorayme is Australian.

> That is so relevant. You continue to act all brain damaged but
> refuse to send a sample of your brain for analysis.

Whaddya mean? He was asking a question about the American economy. What
would a remote Australian know about the American economy?

--
Neredbojias

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:27:08
GMT Kevin Scholl scribed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007
>> 22:11:54 GMT Romper scribed:
>>
>>> (The spec is massive, with lots of loose ends, none of us could
>>> possibly provide a fixed quote for the client, re: how much work the
>>> project will actually turn out to be. Its too big, there are too
>>> many loose ends. The only fair way for all of us would be an hourly
>>> rate.
>>>
>>> As I said, we always charge fixed prices. Its the way we have always
>>> worked, for the sole reason that 99% of the projects we get are new,
>>> and start from scratch).
>>>
>>> My question was: What does a middle of the road web dev company tend
>>> to charge in the USA

>> Bottom line for top company - about $60-$65 per hour. Others will
>> surely demure, but notice I said "bottom line".

> Can you elaborate then on what you mean by "bottom line"?
>
> Most top companies for whom I've worked and dealt with price out their
> designers and developers easily into triple figures; $120 or $125 per
> hour is not all that uncommon.

If you have a strict t & m (time-and-material/services) contract, such a
quote _may_ be accepted by some companies with airs, but down at the
nitty-gritty level, no enterprise in its right mind would pay that open-
endedly for a website. Perhaps a not-to-exceed clause might get you such
figures, but you asked what the normal _real_ rate was, and I answered
according to my knowledge.

> Granted, those individuals may only see half of (if) that in their
> paychecks. Perhaps that's what you mean by "bottom line"...

"Bottom Line" doesn't have a precise definition and its details _can_
very from agreement to agreement, but it still is the real, effective
rate-of-income one can expect. Lots of people quote triple-figures, but
lots of people lie, too. Of all the maybe 2 dozen people I ever talked
to who visited Las Vegas and discussed their fortunes, only 1 actually
lost money. Yeah, right.

--
Neredbojias

How much should I charge for fixed-price software contract? Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t Java 277 09-18-2005 04:29 PM
how much should I charge? leo HTML 6 04-15-2005 03:22 PM
Re: How much should I charge??? Jay Microsoft Certification 0 08-24-2004 03:11 PM
Casio EM-500, charge light flashing & wont hold charge Jason Computer Support 5 05-29-2004 04:53 AM

Advertisments