Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No wireless router, but connecting to other computers!

No wireless router, but connecting to other computers!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=

The subject says it all. No wireless router, but connecting to other computers.
Well, not really all. I have inbuilt wireless on my Compaq Presario M2000.
If I push the WLAN switch on my computer, and choose 'Ad hoc
(computer-to-computer)', it connects, but to whom and where?

Is there some way to identify the computer or person I am connecting to?
No need to identify the person/computer, and I DON'T want to spread viruses,
just want to know.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You can not connect to other Wireless computer if it is Not set specifically
to connect Ad-hoc to your computer.
To create a Wireless connection you need at least two Wireless cards, or one
Wireless card and a Wireless Router.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
If you already have two wireless cards you can connect them together by
configuring them to Ad-Hoc mode and using Windows ICS for Internet Sharing.
This method is not very secure and night be quite quirky.
If you do not have two cards you can find a Wireless Router that is only few
$$ more expensive than an additional card. With Wireless Router you would
get much better results.
Topology looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The subject says it all. No wireless router, but connecting to other
> computers.
> Well, not really all. I have inbuilt wireless on my Compaq Presario M2000.
> If I push the WLAN switch on my computer, and choose 'Ad hoc
> (computer-to-computer)', it connects, but to whom and where?
>
> Is there some way to identify the computer or person I am connecting to?
> No need to identify the person/computer, and I DON'T want to spread
> viruses,
> just want to know.

=?Utf-8?B?QmluYXJ5Q29udmVydGVk?=

Yes, but it was installing Windows Update when IE 7 CANNOT connect to the
internet...
--
Forums - Aren''t they wonderful?