Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Webcam to webcam -- best method?

Webcam to webcam -- best method?

Jim Beaver

I travel a lot and want to be able to talk to my little girl by webcam while
I'm away. I've got webcams set up on my home computer and my laptop, by
which I mean I've hooked up the equipment and run the webcam software. But
I have not yet chosen or figured out how best to choose a connection
process. My webcams (both Logitech) recommend several possibilities (Skype,
Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM Triton, Logitech Video Call),
and each of these is labeled differently (Video Calling, Super Webcam, Video
Chat), but the recommendations don't elaborate on the differences between
these programs or the meanings of the labels.

Are these my best choices? Any one stand out above the others? What's the
difference between the labels (Calling, Chat, etc.)? And if I download one,
will it tell me how to hook up to my existing webcam situation?

I'm tired of sitting in a hotel room for weeks on end without being able to
see my kid, and she's not too happy either. Any advice for this webcam
newbie will be gratefully received.

Jim Beaver

PeeCee

"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%Saui.56341$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>I travel a lot and want to be able to talk to my little girl by webcam
>while I'm away. I've got webcams set up on my home computer and my laptop,
>by which I mean I've hooked up the equipment and run the webcam software.
>But I have not yet chosen or figured out how best to choose a connection
>process. My webcams (both Logitech) recommend several possibilities
>(Skype, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM Triton, Logitech Video
>Call), and each of these is labeled differently (Video Calling, Super
>Webcam, Video Chat), but the recommendations don't elaborate on the
>differences between these programs or the meanings of the labels.
>
> Are these my best choices? Any one stand out above the others? What's
> the difference between the labels (Calling, Chat, etc.)? And if I
> download one, will it tell me how to hook up to my existing webcam
> situation?
>
> I'm tired of sitting in a hotel room for weeks on end without being able
> to see my kid, and she's not too happy either. Any advice for this webcam
> newbie will be gratefully received.
>
> Jim Beaver

Jim

I set up a XP PC with Logitec Webcam and Headset today (both USB) then
downloaded Skype, installed it and set it up without to much trouble.

With the proviso your Webcam and Mic/Speakers or Headset are properly
configured Skypes instructions to set up an account are quite straight
forward and the Audio side should work straight away.
For the Webcam all I had to do was go to 'Tools, Options, Video Settings' in
Skype and tick the 'Start my video automatically when I am in a call' tick
box, restart Skype and the video was automagically there for the next call.

Do be aware that Firewalls can block Skype (or any other app of this type)
The PC I did today had a particularly sluggish Norton Internet Security
installation that took some 30 minutes to get sorted.

Best
Paul.