Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox freezes on .pdf pages

Firefox freezes on .pdf pages

Jim Beaver

Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all open
tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing it
through Windows Task Manager.

Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.

Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?

Jim Beaver

JANA

Uninstall Acrobat 6.xx, and install Version 7, or preferably 8. I have a
feeling this will fix your problem.

--

JANA
_____

"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HMaui.56340$(E-Mail Removed). net...
Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all open
tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing it
through Windows Task Manager.

Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.

Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?

Jim Beaver

Loud Heart

Jim Beaver wrote:
> Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
> Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all open
> tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing it
> through Windows Task Manager.
>
> Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
>
> Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?
>
> Jim Beaver

Just leave your freezed FireFox browser open for 2-3 minutes while
Acrobat loads up. Don't know what is causing it though. Sometime
Acrobat loads up quick and other time it takes forever.
--
# WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
# * free classified advertisement postings

Evan Platt

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 03:29:43 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
>Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all open
>tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing it
>through Windows Task Manager.
>
>Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
>
>Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?

What size PDF file are you opening? What speed connection?

I've had this happen with firefox, it can take a good minute to load
the PDF. How long do you let it go for?

sittingduck

JANA wrote:

> Uninstall Acrobat 6.xx, and install Version 7, or preferably 8. I have a
> feeling this will fix your problem.

Better yet, never install adobe crap-robat in the first place. Foxit reader
requires no install, and works extremely well. Firefox has never crashed or
even blinked when passing pdfs to it.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=foxit
I've been using Foxit Reader 1.3 Build 0104 for a long time with no problems.
Version 1 uses lots of mem if you open really large files, Version 2
supposedly fixes this.

Toast

"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:HMaui.56340$(E-Mail Removed). net:

> Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
> Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser
> (all open tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it
> is by closing it through Windows Task Manager.
>
> Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
>
> Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?
>
> Jim Beaver

Maybe your system is long in the tooth and short on resources. But it's
probably just down to the AA 6 launching in a resource hungry way.

Acrobat Reader 6 was terrible with FF. Ditto AR 5. Launching AR in the
browser was further improved with the release of versions 7 and 8.
Upgrade to v8 if you can, it's a significant improvement in many
respects.

If your PDF creating needs are simple then you can ditch Adobe Acrobat
altogether and use one of the many free PDF creators now available in
concert with AR 8. I like one called PrimoPDF.

Also, it's possible to view the PDF files outside the browser. Install
the PDF Download extension. You won't regret it.

David

Jordon

sittingduck wrote:
> JANA wrote:
>
>> Uninstall Acrobat 6.xx, and install Version 7, or preferably 8. I have a
>> feeling this will fix your problem.

> Better yet, never install adobe crap-robat in the first place. Foxit reader
> requires no install, and works extremely well. Firefox has never crashed or
> even blinked when passing pdfs to it.
> http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=foxit
> I've been using Foxit Reader 1.3 Build 0104 for a long time with no problems.
> Version 1 uses lots of mem if you open really large files, Version 2
> supposedly fixes this.

Here's another vote for Foxit. Dump the Acrobat reader.

--
Jordon

Jim Beaver

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 03:29:43 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
>>Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all
>>open
>>tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing
>>it
>>through Windows Task Manager.
>>
>>Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
>>
>>Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?

> What size PDF file are you opening? What speed connection?

Any size, as far as I can tell. I've got a decent DSL.

> I've had this happen with firefox, it can take a good minute to load
> the PDF. How long do you let it go for?

I'll try that. It's just that it doesn't look like it's loading, not the
same way it looks when a PDF is loading in a non-Firefox situation.
Everything in Firefox is frozen. But I'll try just letting it sit for a
while.

Jim Beaver

The Old Sourdough

Jordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

snip

> Here's another vote for Foxit. Dump the Acrobat reader.

Agreed.

--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!!11!!, the whole grain diet...

Tommy McClure

FF: tools / options / content / file types / manage / [select] / change
action - do not use plug-in, select adobe or foxit to open separately

Tommy

--
Tommy
REMOVETHIStmcc72REMOVETHISAThalDASHpcDOTorg change everything capitalized to

Firefox freezes when saving r.howard1 Firefox 6 06-18-2006 12:09 AM
firefox wont update, freezes on:checking for updates to all in one gestures Chris.848@gmail.com Firefox 1 11-16-2005 08:02 AM
firefox freezes when initiating downloads Glen S Firefox 4 01-26-2005 09:42 PM
Firefox Freezes Sandy Firefox 1 12-21-2004 04:28 AM
Four ASP.NET Pages in Frames Vs. One ASP.NET Pages Manish ASP .Net 1 11-17-2003 05:56 PM

Advertisments