Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP closing programs when logging off

WinXP closing programs when logging off

Paul

How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
again when I boot back up.

Thanks
Paul

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Paul wrote:
> How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
> again when I boot back up.

Have you tried clicking on the little "X" button in the top right? Or
click on the File menu then Exit? Or holding down the Alt key and
pressing F4?

Evan Platt

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:16:45 -0400, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
>again when I boot back up.

How are you logging off?

Programs shouldn't start back up if you Log Off - you'll even get a
message that you have <X> open programs that will be terminated if you
log off.

ded

news:Yo4ui.13$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
> again when I boot back up.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

XP won't shut down without programs being closed, so what exactly do you
mean?

There are a whole heap of programs that start with boot,
if that is what you are talking about, GoTo: Start>Run
Type: msconfig
The System Configuration utility will appear
Click the "Start up" tab
Listed will be what is configured to load on start up.
You can disable from this dialog, but better is to open
each program you want to disable and look in the Options to disable
it from loading

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
>again when I boot back up.

Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View

UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"

UnHide your stuff while your there
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
--
Georgia: Russia set up us the bomb.
Russia: All your airspace are belong to us

Mitch

In article <Yo4ui.13$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
> again when I boot back up.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

Are you just shutting off power when you are done?

(That's the opposite of 'logging off'!)

Atlas Shrugged

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
>>again when I boot back up.

> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View
>
> UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
>
> UnHide your stuff while your there
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
> --
> Georgia: Russia set up us the bomb.
> Russia: All your airspace are belong to us
> http://tinyurl.com/2zghuj

Mine is checked and I don't have that problem.

Atlas Shrugged

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Paul wrote:
>> How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
>> again when I boot back up.

> Have you tried clicking on the little "X" button in the top right? Or
> click on the File menu then Exit? Or holding down the Alt key and pressing
> F4?

Or right click on the program name on the Taskbar and click on "close".

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
>>>again when I boot back up.

>> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View
>>
>> UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
>>
>> UnHide your stuff while your there
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>> --

>Mine is checked and I don't have that problem.

Right click on the option, left click on what's this?

--
Giant Lego man washes up on Dutch beach.
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/...section=justin

JANA

You must close the programs before logging off or shutting down. There are
cache files that are not marked as closed. Shutting down or logging off with
opened files is a good way to cause a crash where you will have a lot of
work to do in order to have a recovery.

When driving your car, I am sure you come to a stop before getting out???

--

JANA
_____

news:Yo4ui.13$(E-Mail Removed)...