Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > local.live.com help

local.live.com help

Norvin

When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to the
right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am using
Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
TKS
Norvin

Ed Mullen

Norvin wrote:
> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to the
> right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am using
> Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
> TKS
> Norvin

It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Norvin wrote:
> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to the
> right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am using
> Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
> TKS
> Norvin

what do you expect from a miscrosoft site?

Ed Mullen

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Norvin wrote:
>> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to
>> the right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am
>> using Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
>> TKS
>> Norvin

> It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
> out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.

I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Norvin

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> Norvin wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to
>>> the right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am
>>> using Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
>>> TKS
>>> Norvin

>> It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
>> out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
>>

> I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
> Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

One last question (?), what is UA and a quick clue where to find it.
tks

Norvin wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
>>> out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
>>>

>> I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
>> Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.
>>

> One last question (?), what is UA and a quick clue where to find it.
> tks

UA is your user agent. Click on help and About Mozilla and
after Mozilla 1.7.13 is your UA, which is currently this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13)
Gecko/20060414

Every browser sends out the UA to websites. Some websites
will sniff this UA and block your browser. MS sites are
notorious for doing things like this. To change your UA on
the fly is to get the User Agent Switcher. This will let
your browser pretend that you're another browser on another
platform. I mean, in reality you can be windows xp and
using Moz 1.7.13, but with the UA, you can pretend to be
Netscape 8.1.3, on a linux platform.

You can get the UA Switcher here:
http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

Norvin

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Norvin wrote:
>
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
>>> Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.
>>>

>> One last question (?), what is UA and a quick clue where to find it.
>> tks

> UA is your user agent. Click on help and About Mozilla and after
> Mozilla 1.7.13 is your UA, which is currently this:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414
>
> Every browser sends out the UA to websites. Some websites will sniff
> this UA and block your browser. MS sites are notorious for doing things
> like this. To change your UA on the fly is to get the User Agent
> Switcher. This will let your browser pretend that you're another
> browser on another platform. I mean, in reality you can be windows xp
> and using Moz 1.7.13, but with the UA, you can pretend to be Netscape
> 8.1.3, on a linux platform.
>
> You can get the UA Switcher here:
> http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

Thanks for the info,
Norvin

Ralph Fox

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:50:03 -0400, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
> > Norvin wrote:
> >> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to
> >> the right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am
> >> using Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
> >> TKS
> >> Norvin

> > It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
> > out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
> >

> I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
> Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

I see a similar problem with http://maps.live.com/
It works in Firefox, but not in K-Meleon.
As you say, it is bad browser sniffing.
I get around it by having K-Meleon spoof Firefox's User-Agent.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 06:40:41 +0000, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ralph Fox wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:50:03 -0400, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
> > Ed Mullen wrote:
> > >
> > > It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
> > > out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
> > >

> > I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
> > Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

> I see a similar problem with http://maps.live.com/
> It works in Firefox, but not in K-Meleon.
> As you say, it is bad browser sniffing.
> I get around it by having K-Meleon spoof Firefox's User-Agent.

On a similar note, Google maps also has a little problem with
bad browser snuffing.

Google maps works *mostly* the same whether or not K-Meleon is
spoofing Firefox's User-Agent. But there is one useful feature
missing when K-Meleon is using its own UA, not Firefox's UA.
That is, the little < triangle between the left (text) and right
(map) panes, which allows one to hide the left pane and have more
of the map.

--
Cheers,
Ralph