Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Are computer store used laptops OK? Need for DSL ISP.

Are computer store used laptops OK? Need for DSL ISP.

John Ritchie

I'm looking for a used laptop that I can use mainly for the internet
with a DSL
ISP. Are they usually in good shape if refurbished, etc. if I get them
from a computer store that sells nothing but used and refurbished
computers? What requirements would it need to use a DSL ISP?
Thanks for any advice.

JCRitchie

- Bobb -

"John Ritchie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a used laptop that I can use mainly for the internet
> with a DSL ISP.
> Are they usually in good shape if refurbished, etc. if I get them
> from a computer store that sells nothing but used and refurbished
> computers?
> What requirements would it need to use a DSL ISP?
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> JCRitchie

I'd buy from a place that has some sort of warranty.
*****AND make sure to get the OS CD that came with it. ******
I have seen a LOT of used laptops at shows that have the same copy of
Windows installed. Works fine at show. You get it home - try to update
something online and it fails Microsoft security check - because 400 other
PC's have same serial number from that reseller. Tell seller up front
that you need to have a CD / license, in case hard drive dies. Without
it, it becomes a boat anchor.

Unless really old laptop, it will probably have modem/network built in.
ISP might require either Linux or Windows 2000 / XP. That's all you'd
NEED. As for what you'd WANT ... a lot of memory ? Fancy graphics ? Disk
space ? up to you.

As for requirements, go to your local DSL's website
( like http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ConsumerDSL )
and they'll show whether they support Windows 98, Linux etc.You MAY find
that DSL not an option depending upon where you live. So first go to ISP
site and enter your phone number.
( as an aside ...)
On my street, once fiber was installed on the poles around here, I could
no longer get the $14.98/month DSL. They only now offer FIOS as part of a
$99/month package an option for me. AND as part of the install, they
remove all current telephone wiring. Once you decide that you don't want
FIOS , they remove the fiber - leaving you with ... no place to plug in a
telephone. SO check out your options first.

Paul

John Ritchie wrote:
> I'm looking for a used laptop that I can use mainly for the internet
> with a DSL
> ISP. Are they usually in good shape if refurbished, etc. if I get them
> from a computer store that sells nothing but used and refurbished
> computers? What requirements would it need to use a DSL ISP?
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> JCRitchie

From a hardware perspective, laptops are not as reliable as desktop
computers. And that isn't saying much. Even when "handled with kid
gloves", laptops can wink out at the three or four year mark. Repairs
are super-expensive, even if you do the repair yourself by swapping
motherboard or panel.

Some of the old, slower units, ones that don't burn up too much power,
might last longer. So part of the problem is the operating temperature
of the high performance ones.

A local computer shop probably cannot refurbish them in a meaningful
way. Replacement LCD panels might cost a couple hundred (unless they
take parts from different machines, to make a good one). Similarly,
the motherboard is expensive if bought from the manufacturer. Easier
repairs, would be changing out the hard drive. They aren't likely to
replace anything expensive, as their used price would not cover it.

Other things that wear, are hinges. Hinges can be cracked or broken,
or no longer maintain enough tension to remain upright. A refurb
operation, might be to glue broken parts together. In some cases, they
can buy replacement hinge components.

Ask specifically, if the battery is covered by a warranty and for
how long. I'd expect a new battery, with a used laptop, as some
battery technologies deteriorate from the day they are manufactured,
and if you get stuck with an old or original battery, there might not
be many charge/discharge cycles left in it.

Take a good look at the screen, for scratches or wear marks. The design
of some laptops, makes it easy for the keyboard to mark up the screen,
and that may not be a sign of abuse, but just bad design. You should
check for any stuck pixels when viewing the product, and you may need
to try a few things, like opening a few windows etc., to catch that.

I'd say there is a good chance to get "taken to the cleaners". I would
check local USENET groups, and see if any of the computer stores in
your area, have a "reputation" for bad customer relations or dealing
in bad faith. My local USENET groups are a great source of info, because
any customer that gets screwed, will yell like a pig

There is nothing special for DSL. When you get your ADSL modem, it may
come with a built-in router, and either wireless or wired Ethernet ports.
For example, some ADSL modems now, have four wired Ethernet ports on them.
On my setup, the ISP provided a simple ADSL modem, and I had to buy a
router to go with it. You can get routers that have both wired and wireless
ports, so if the modem you get doesn't have enough connectors, there are
ways to fix it. My wired router only cost $40 when I got it less than
a year ago, and my original router, which also had four wired ports, cost
a few hundred. The price has dropped quite a bit, and you shouldn't have
to pay a lot to get extra connectors.

On the laptop itself, it needs an Ethernet interface. There could be an
Ethernet RJ-45 connector on the laptop itself. Or, the laptop may not have
Ethernet at all, in which case you want to make sure the laptop has a
PCMCIA or PC Card or Expresscard slot. With an expansion slot for
a separate hardware device, you can buy an Ethernet device and plug it
into the expansion slot. Then an Ethernet cable goes from there, to your
router (or to the ADSL modem/router if it has enough Ethernet connectors).

Some ISPs will offer to rent you a router, to get the extra ports. If
they only cost $40 to buy one yourself, you can save in the long run
by just buying one.

Paul

John Ritchie

To Paul and Bobb. Thanks.

JCRitchie

jdl

Maybe try Craigslist. Can get some excellent deals on CL because the
sellers are not paying anything for the ads and they don't want to
hassle with putting it on ebay.

Do I have to be adminstrator on DSL wireless for my pc and laptops =?Utf-8?B?RnJhenpsZWQgTW9t?= Wireless Networking 1 07-13-2005 12:34 PM
How do I link a wireless computer to a DSL computer? =?Utf-8?B?TVdI?= Wireless Networking 4 07-07-2005 04:41 AM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
Remote computer dialup and host computer dsl using both Windows XP problems Bun Mui Computer Support 0 06-04-2004 02:26 PM
used laptops worty it? George Computer Information 4 02-22-2004 11:01 PM

Advertisments