Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How do I get midi files to play?

How do I get midi files to play?

John Ritchie

For some reason, none of my midi files play. I installed a Yahoo media
player as the default player and regular audio files work fine but midi
files don't. The midi files come up and you can see the counter numbers
going and the playing indicater going left to right but there's no
sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

JCRitchie

sandy58

On Aug 7, 12:47 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (John Ritchie) wrote:
> For some reason, none of my midi files play. I installed a Yahoo media
> player as the default player and regular audio files work fine but midi
> files don't. The midi files come up and you can see the counter numbers
> going and the playing indicater going left to right but there's no
> sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
>
> JCRitchie

John, try highlighting one of the "midi" files, right-click>open
with....choose your media player from list & "apply". If it runs, OK,
If it DON'T run your player doesn't accept/play them. What was wrong
with your Windows Media Player?

Ragnar

John Ritchie wrote:
> For some reason, none of my midi files play. I installed a Yahoo
> media player as the default player and regular audio files work fine
> but midi files don't. The midi files come up and you can see the
> counter numbers going and the playing indicater going left to right
> but there's no sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
>
> JCRitchie

Most media players require a plugin to play MIDI sources. You say that they
appear OK in Yahoo Media Player so that presumably is not the problem.

I believe that MIDI files rely on the synthesizer capability of your sound
card. Check that your sound card is the correct type and has drivers
installed, and that 'SW Synth' is not unchecked in Volume Control.

HTH

Paul

John Ritchie wrote:
> For some reason, none of my midi files play. I installed a Yahoo media
> player as the default player and regular audio files work fine but midi
> files don't. The midi files come up and you can see the counter numbers
> going and the playing indicater going left to right but there's no
> sound. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
>
> JCRitchie

In the Sound Control Panel, I can see an option for MIDI Music Playback.
Sometimes, you can have more than one option there.

There will also be a Mixer for your sound setup. Mine sits in the tray
at the bottom of the screen (lower right). The Mixer will have sliders in
it, and you can check that the volume settings are greater than zero. Some Mixer
panel sliders have a "mute" checkbox, and they should be unchecked, to get
sound.

In my Mixer panel, there is a slider labeled "SW Synth", and that
controls the volume.

If you go to the Start button, select Run from the menu, and type
"dxdiag" without the quotes and then run it, the Microsoft DirectX
diagnostic screen should appear. It'll take maybe 30 seconds to finish
in "Test using this port". When you click the Test DirectMusic, what I'm
hearing, sounds like a MIDI test file. One of the options there, sends the
MIDI stream to an external MIDI device, which I don't have, so there is
silence for that test case.

Have fun,
Paul

John Ritchie

To sandy58,
The Windows Media Player looked like it was working but there was no
sound.

JCRitchie

sandy58

On Aug 8, 12:37 am, (E-Mail Removed) (John Ritchie) wrote:
> To sandy58,
> The Windows Media Player looked like it was working but there was no
> sound.
>
> JCRitchie

What version of WMP have you?
http://fenopy.com/torrent/Windows_Me...zQ4/index.html
WMP v12 (download from Zip tab)

John Ritchie

I don't know. How do you tell?

JCRitchie

sandy58

On Aug 8, 12:10 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (John Ritchie) wrote:
> I don't know. How do you tell?
>
> JCRitchie

Start>my computer>c:\>Program files>Windows Media Player>WMP .exe
file>right-click>properties>version tab.

John Ritchie

To Sandy58,
The WMP version is 9.00.00.2980.

JCRitchie