Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Html 4.01 strict instead of xhtml?

Html 4.01 strict instead of xhtml?

Andy Bell

Can I stop asp.net from applying self closing tags? I am trying to generate
an html 4.01 strict page rather than an xhtml page and the w3 validator is
unhappy about asp.net automatically translating this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="SkinStyle.aspx?SkinName=Test" type="text/css">

to this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="SkinStyle.aspx?SkinName=Test" type="text/css"
/>

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Andy,

Regarding on the ASP.NET/VS IDE html formatting question you mentioned
they're actually controlled by the HTML Designer's formatting and
validation setting. You can configure them through the following approaches:

For the automatically close tag behavior, you can set it through the below
steps:

**open "tools ---> options" menu,

** in the opened dialog, choose the following path in left view:

Text Editor-->HTML-->Format-->

and you'll find the "Auto Insert close Tag" check option

for the design-time validation(against html), you can also find the
following setting:

Text Editor-->HTML-->Validation ---> "Target:"

you can choose "HTML 4.01" as your ASPX page's target validation
schema(instead of xhtml 1.0)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Andy Bell

Steven Cheng[MSFT] wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Regarding on the ASP.NET/VS IDE html formatting question you mentioned
> they're actually controlled by the HTML Designer's formatting and
> validation setting. You can configure them through the following
> approaches:
>
> For the automatically close tag behavior, you can set it through the
> below steps:
>
> **open "tools ---> options" menu,
>
> ** in the opened dialog, choose the following path in left view:
>
> Text Editor-->HTML-->Format-->
>
> and you'll find the "Auto Insert close Tag" check option

Hi, thanks for your help! I just tried this but it didn't make a difference.
The tag doesn't have self closing tags in the designer, only in the
outputted html.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply and the further clarify.

Actually, I originally assume that you just want to change the edit
experience in IDE at design-time. So you also want the runtime html output
be formated without close tag ( "/>"), right?

I've performed some further test, actually, ASP.NET 2.0 runtime can let you
specify the "xhtmlConformance" to a "Legacy" value so that the output will
conform to ASP.NET 1.1 format, e.g.

===========
<xhtmlConformance mode="Legacy"/>
</system.web>
============

However, when running the aspx page, such as below:

============
<head runat="server">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="SkinStyle.aspx?SkinName=Test" type="text/css">

<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<input type="button" >

</form>
==============

the <input type="button" > can be keep without close tag, the <link ....>
will be formated to <link .... />. It seems the runtime engine will
transalte the tags in <head> section and ensure closing tag and there
hasn't any declarative means to configure this.

So far I think one way to overcome this behavior would be manually
customize the ASP.NET page's response output through a Response Filter
stream. You can attach a Filter for each Page's Response and modify the
response content. Here is a web article demonstrate using response Filter
to customize(format) page output:

http://aspnetresources.com/articles/HttpFilters.aspx
Producing XHTML-Compliant Pages With Response Filters

For your scenario, you may use it to change all the "/>" close tag to ">".

Steven Cheng[MSFT] wrote:
> So far I think one way to overcome this behavior would be manually
> customize the ASP.NET page's response output through a Response Filter
> stream. You can attach a Filter for each Page's Response and modify
> the response content. Here is a web article demonstrate using
> response Filter to customize(format) page output:
>
> http://aspnetresources.com/articles/HttpFilters.aspx
> Producing XHTML-Compliant Pages With Response Filters
>
> For your scenario, you may use it to change all the "/>" close tag to
> ">".

Perfect, thank you!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome