Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can not Write to External Networked Hard Drive

Can not Write to External Networked Hard Drive

Neil154ABCD@gmail.com remove ABCD

I have a desktop computer connected to a laptop computer thru a wireless
network (both using XP Pro). The desktop has an external hard drive
connected by USB. From the laptop I can see and change files on the desktop
internal hard drive, but I have a problem with the external hard drive.
Under the "My Network Places" I can see the external hard drive but when I
click on the drive I get an error message "\\Desktop|external is not
accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process this
command."

I have tried 2 different external hard drives and I have tried swapping and
putting the external drives on the laptop but everything has resulted in the
same problem. The strange part is that last week I was able to see and
change the files on the external hard drive. I started to have the problem
once I was running my backup program on my laptop and mistakenly rebooted my
desktop machine. Once the desktop completed the reboot, I was then not able
to see the files on the external hard drive.

I would appreciate your help.

--

Neil

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

This link may help,

Not Enough ..."Not enough server storage is available to process this command." 1 "Not enough storage available to process this command" 2 "Not enough storage to Complete ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/notenough.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"(E-Mail Removed) remove ABCD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Thanks for the response but I still have the problem.

First of all I am not using any Norton products, my antivirus/firewall is ZoneAlarm on both machines and I have tried seeing the drive without ZA running on both machines. Also, I see/change the internal hard drives on both machines without any problem. Lastly, I was able to see/change the external hard drive before I did the accidental reboot of the desktop.

I would appreciate any other suggestions as I am frustrated with myself.

--

Neil

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Open WinExplorer check what letter the USB Drive is assigned too, and make
sure that it is configured to allow sharing.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"(E-Mail Removed) remove ABCD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a desktop computer connected to a laptop computer thru a wireless
>network (both using XP Pro). The desktop has an external hard drive
>connected by USB. From the laptop I can see and change files on the
>desktop internal hard drive, but I have a problem with the external hard
>drive. Under the "My Network Places" I can see the external hard drive but
>when I click on the drive I get an error message "\\Desktop|external is not
>accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
>Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
>permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process this
>command."
>
> I have tried 2 different external hard drives and I have tried swapping
> and putting the external drives on the laptop but everything has resulted
> in the same problem. The strange part is that last week I was able to see
> and change the files on the external hard drive. I started to have the
> problem once I was running my backup program on my laptop and mistakenly
> rebooted my desktop machine. Once the desktop completed the reboot, I was
> then not able to see the files on the external hard drive.
>
> I would appreciate your help.
>
> --
>
> Neil

Neil154ABCD@gmail.com remove ABCD

The drive is configured for sharing and I also checked the box to allow
network users to change files.

--

Neil

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Open WinExplorer check what letter the USB Drive is assigned too, and make
> sure that it is configured to allow sharing.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "(E-Mail Removed) remove ABCD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a desktop computer connected to a laptop computer thru a wireless
>>network (both using XP Pro). The desktop has an external hard drive
>>connected by USB. From the laptop I can see and change files on the
>>desktop internal hard drive, but I have a problem with the external hard
>>drive. Under the "My Network Places" I can see the external hard drive but
>>when I click on the drive I get an error message "\\Desktop|external is
>>not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
>>resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
>>access permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process
>>this command."
>>
>> I have tried 2 different external hard drives and I have tried swapping
>> and putting the external drives on the laptop but everything has resulted
>> in the same problem. The strange part is that last week I was able to
>> see and change the files on the external hard drive. I started to have
>> the problem once I was running my backup program on my laptop and
>> mistakenly rebooted my desktop machine. Once the desktop completed the
>> reboot, I was then not able to see the files on the external hard drive.
>>
>> I would appreciate your help.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Neil

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

You may need to modify the IRPstackSize even you don't use Norton.

[...]

I added the IRPStackSize to both machines (hex value of 0 since the reference did not give a value) and rebooted both machine, but I still have the same error message. Please keep giving me suggestions. It is as if the permission is not be provided even though I have the correct boxes checked. Any thoughts?

--

[...]

Try to take ownership over. This link may help,

Can't editdate even administratorThe administrator may lost the ownership of the folder. To do take over the ownership, right click on the file or folder. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/Security/ownership2.htm

[...]

I still have some problems. Here are the latest facts:

When I log in on the desktop machine under safe mode with networking, I can not see any desktop drives from the laptop. I have "everyone" have full permission for everything. I even went in and added a user (normal account that I log into) and gave full permissions for everything. I then rebooted the desktop and tried seeing the drives on the laptop. I am able to see/change the internal drives (2) and can see/change the thumb drive, but the external drive I still get the same message drive not accessible and not enough server space.

What else Is there I should be trying? Is there something I should check on my laptop?

All help is appreciated

--

[...]

Pavel A.

Did this external drive came with some custom software like
"one button backup" etc?

--PA