Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looooong text is breaking my table.

Looooong text is breaking my table.

FFMG

Hi,

I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
The second col, (200px), displays a url.
But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
than 200px.

Because I can have more than one table on the page the display appears
broken.
So I would rather the url be forcefully wrapped to the next line rather
than breaking my display.

Would that be possible?

How can I do that?

Thanks

FFMG

--

'webmaster forum' (http://www.httppoint.com) | 'Free Blogs'
(http://www.journalhome.com/) | 'webmaster Directory'

Blinky the Shark

FFMG wrote:

> Hi,

Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> FFMG wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

> Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
> client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

and that will help wrap the link?

Jim Moe

FFMG wrote:

> I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
> The second col, (200px), displays a url.
> But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
> than 200px.

1. Wrap the URL in a <div>, set the div's property: "overflow: hidden".
2. Server-side processing: Break the line wherever you want.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

FFMG

Jim Moe;85588 Wrote:
> FFMG wrote:
> >
> > I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
> > The second col, (200px), displays a url.
> > But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
> > than 200px.
> >

> 1. Wrap the URL in a <div>, set the div's property: "overflow:
> hidden".
> 2. Server-side processing: Break the line wherever you want.
>
> --
> jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
> (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

I think I will do the second option.
I will use the <wbr> trick that seems to work with a lot of the
browsers.

Thanks

FFMG

--

'webmaster forum' (http://www.httppoint.com) | 'Free Blogs'
(http://www.journalhome.com/) | 'webmaster Directory'
(http://www.webhostshunter.com/)
'Recreation Vehicle insurance'
(http://www.insurance-owl.com/other/car_rec.php) | 'Free URL
redirection service' (http://urlkick.com/)

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:30:43 GMT
G scribed:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> FFMG wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>> Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
>> client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

> and that will help wrap the link?

It might help to get the help to wrap the link.

--
Neredbojias

Jim Moe

FFMG wrote:

>> 1. Wrap the URL in a <div>, set the div's property: "overflow:
>> hidden".
>> 2. Server-side processing: Break the line wherever you want.

> I think I will do the second option.
> I will use the <wbr> trick that seems to work with a lot of the
> browsers.

<wbr> is not server-side processing.
<wbr> is a non-standard element. Which makes me wonder if your pages
have been validated...

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Blinky the Shark

G wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> FFMG wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>> Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
>> client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

> and that will help wrap the link?

If he doesn't like my good advice, he's welcome to apply for a refund.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> G wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real
>>> news client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

>> and that will help wrap the link?

> If he doesn't like my good advice, he's welcome to apply for a refund.

noted