Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is DSL much better than regular dialup?

Is DSL much better than regular dialup?

John Ritchie

I have a regular dialup ISP service and am thinking of switching to
DSL.
Is there a huge difference?
Thanks for any advice.

JCRitchie

Alex.Clayton

"John Ritchie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a regular dialup ISP service and am thinking of switching to
> DSL.
> Is there a huge difference?
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> JCRitchie

Yes. If you have never tried Broadband you need to if you are not sure. It
used to be a PITA, and expensive. It's very simple now, and in most markets
very cheap. If you have a second phone line, you can drop that and often the
Broadband will be only a few $'s more than the extra line was. Cable is
often a little faster, so check and see if you have more than 1 option for
Broadband in your area. Whichever one you choose will be miles ahead of what
you get with dial up.
--
Mandatory drug screens are great. I think all people who ask for welfare
should have to pass one.

Paul

John Ritchie wrote:
> I have a regular dialup ISP service and am thinking of switching to
> DSL.
> Is there a huge difference?
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> JCRitchie

Be aware, that the speed you get, is only as good as the server at the
other end. Going to some of the big web sites, that have driver updates
and the like, you might still get only 5KB/sec. Those are the sites that
will disappoint you.

Maybe 10% of the time, my DSL runs at the full speed, when doing
downloads. The majority of the time, I might see downloads at 30%
of the rated speed.

Another factor is latency or the number of hops to reach
the target server. If a server is half way around the world,
it can still take a long time to respond.

There are applications that might benefit more, such as if you
have some dedicated application running all the time. For
example, some people share files with Bittorrent or the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

There are ISPs that have installed filter capability in the
router, to detect certain applications, like Bittorrent. For
example, one thread I was reading, a guy was getting about 2KB/sec
for his Torrent. The reason was, the headers in the Torrent
were not encrypted. Once he changed software, to use encrypted
headers, the Torrent speeded up to maybe 150KB/sec. And what that
means, is his ISP was no longer able to filter that service.
Note that the filtering technology eventually catches up with
the users, and even encrypted, they will eventually use heuristics
to prevent full bandwidth for that sort of thing. (With the
danger, that encrypted VPN traffic to your work, might also
get throttled.)

Some ISPs are worse than others for that sort of thing. Whether such
a practice is legal for them to do, or is even explained in their
terms of service, is unclear.

If you are just interested in ordinary web surfing or email, the
ISPs love that kind of usage. It doesn't use a lot of their
resources. For example, I probably only download a couple gigabytes
per month on average, and I pay about $45 per month for the service.
They can support a ton of users like me, and make lots of money doing
it. If all they had was Bittorrent users, they would lose their
shirts. The ratio of users to routers, would have to be adjusted,
if all users were heavy users.

Also note, that when their advertising says "unlimited downloads",
they don't really mean it. If you download too much, you may receive
an email telling you so, or have your service cut off. Again, if you
are an ordinary user, you are in no danger. If you are an "all you
can eat" movie downloader, then eventually you'll be bumping heads
with your ISP.

Do some Googling, using the name of your ISP, to find out how bad
they are with respect to policies on download MB per month.

Have fun,
Paul

wf3h@comcast.net

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:34:12 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John Ritchie)
wrote:

> I have a regular dialup ISP service and am thinking of switching to
>DSL.
> Is there a huge difference?
> Thanks for any advice.
>
>JCRitchie

no comparison. once you go DSL you'll NEVER go back to dial up.

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:34:12 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (John Ritchie)
>wrote:
>
>> I have a regular dialup ISP service and am thinking of switching to
>>DSL.
>> Is there a huge difference?
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>>JCRitchie

>no comparison. once you go DSL you'll NEVER go back to dial up.

Well you keep dial up when the ADSL goes tits up!..

Not that it does very often....
--
Tony Sayer