Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Link to another website, in an iframe, to a spot on page

Link to another website, in an iframe, to a spot on page

mjones

Hi All,

Here's what I have, but it doesn't jump down to the spot on the page.

url=home/faculty.asp#DeMarco',
'DeMarco','toolbar=yes,location=yes,status=no,menu bar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=800,hei ght=600')">Dr.
Carolyn DeMarco</a>

The page it's going to has <a name="DeMarco"></a> where I want to jump
to. This name tag works within the page because I use it to jump from
her top picture down to her detail.

If you need it, the code is on the page www.devitawellness.com/pub/electpoll.asp.

Any help to make this work would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones wrote:

> If you need it, the code is on the page
> www.devitawellness.com/pub/electpoll.asp.

"The document you are looking for is missing. Click HOME at the top to
return to the DeVita Wellness website.

2005 DeVita Wellness Institute of Living and Learning"

--
-bts

mjones

On Aug 6, 11:07 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mjones wrote:
> > If you need it, the code is on the page
> >www.devitawellness.com/pub/electpoll.asp.

> "The document you are looking for is missing. Click HOME at the top to
> return to the DeVita Wellness website.
>
> 2005 DeVita Wellness Institute of Living and Learning"
>
> --
> -bts

I appologize; it's an iframe. This will work -
http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> mjones wrote:
>>> If you need it, the code is on the page
>>>www.devitawellness.com/pub/electpoll.asp.

>> "The document you are looking for is missing. Click HOME at the top to
>> return to the DeVita Wellness website.
>>
>> 2005 DeVita Wellness Institute of Living and Learning"

> I appologize; it's an iframe. This will work -
> http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp.

[Please don't include the ending period with URLs; some newsreaders
can't separate that from the clickable link (though not mine). Thanks.]

"<!--WARNING O NOT USE SCRICT.DTD OTHERWISE THE IFRAME WILL DISPLAY
INCORRECTLY IN FIREFOX-->"
...probably not if you wrote it correctly? (I don't use iframes)

There are plenty of errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devitawellnes s.com%2F%3Furl%3D%2Fpub%2Felecpoll.asp>

Your meta keyword stuffing will get you penalties. Google and the others
stopped reading keywords sometime in the last millenium, due to abuse.
It is suggested that if the keywords do not appear in the content, you
may be dropped from indexing, though only Google knows its complete rule
set.

With the JavaScript stripped by my corporate firewall, your page is
nothing more than a heading and a large, long, empty blue box.
Approximately ~10% of your visitors will have JavaScript disabled or
stripped. You might as well turn your web server off for .. the month of
August .. every year.

After seeing the absurd (sorry) complexity of this layout - overused
JavaScript, mix of HTML 4.01 and HTML 3.2 - I believe I will bow out
trying to figure out your problem.

--
-bts

mjones

On Aug 6, 11:34 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mjones wrote:

> >> "The document you are looking for is missing. Click HOME at the top to
> >> return to the DeVita Wellness website.

> >> 2005 DeVita Wellness Institute of Living and Learning"

> > I appologize; it's an iframe. This will work -
> >http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp.

> [Please don't include the ending period with URLs; some newsreaders
> can't separate that from the clickable link (though not mine). Thanks.]
>
> "<!--WARNING O NOT USE SCRICT.DTD OTHERWISE THE IFRAME WILL DISPLAY
> INCORRECTLY IN FIREFOX-->"
> ..probably not if you wrote it correctly? (I don't use iframes)
>
> There are plenty of errors:
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devitawe...>
>
> Your meta keyword stuffing will get you penalties. Google and the others
> stopped reading keywords sometime in the last millenium, due to abuse.
> It is suggested that if the keywords do not appear in the content, you
> may be dropped from indexing, though only Google knows its complete rule
> set.
>
> With the JavaScript stripped by my corporate firewall, your page is
> nothing more than a heading and a large, long, empty blue box.
> Approximately ~10% of your visitors will have JavaScript disabled or
> stripped. You might as well turn your web server off for .. the month of
> August .. every year.
>
> After seeing the absurd (sorry) complexity of this layout - overused
> JavaScript, mix of HTML 4.01 and HTML 3.2 - I believe I will bow out
> trying to figure out your problem.
>
> --
> -bts

Thank you for your frank opinion. This was an early website I did
when I just started learning html and a 'friend' helped me with it.
It turns out he wasn't such a friend after all - he was just trying to
get me to go out with him. But now I'm stuck with the code on four
websites and doing my best to carry on without him.

I ran it though w3.org's validator and you're right. It's a mess.

Again, thanks for trying.

mjones

On Aug 6, 11:44 am, mjones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 11:34 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > mjones wrote:

> > > I appologize; it's an iframe. This will work -
> > >http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp.

> > [Please don't include the ending period with URLs; some newsreaders
> > can't separate that from the clickable link (though not mine). Thanks.]

> > "<!--WARNING O NOT USE SCRICT.DTD OTHERWISE THE IFRAME WILL DISPLAY
> > INCORRECTLY IN FIREFOX-->"
> > ..probably not if you wrote it correctly? (I don't use iframes)

> > There are plenty of errors:
> > <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devitawe...>

> > Your meta keyword stuffing will get you penalties. Google and the others
> > stopped reading keywords sometime in the last millenium, due to abuse.
> > It is suggested that if the keywords do not appear in the content, you
> > may be dropped from indexing, though only Google knows its complete rule
> > set.

> > With the JavaScript stripped by my corporate firewall, your page is
> > nothing more than a heading and a large, long, empty blue box.
> > Approximately ~10% of your visitors will have JavaScript disabled or
> > stripped. You might as well turn your web server off for .. the month of
> > August .. every year.

> > After seeing the absurd (sorry) complexity of this layout - overused
> > JavaScript, mix of HTML 4.01 and HTML 3.2 - I believe I will bow out
> > trying to figure out your problem.

> > --
> > -bts
> > -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck

> Thank you for your frank opinion. This was an early website I did
> when I just started learning html and a 'friend' helped me with it.
> It turns out he wasn't such a friend after all - he was just trying to
> get me to go out with him. But now I'm stuck with the code on four
> websites and doing my best to carry on without him.
>
> I ran it though w3.org's validator and you're right. It's a mess.
>
> Again, thanks for trying.- Hide quoted text -

Hi again,

I was able to validate the code. Is there any way you can possibly
look at it again? Please.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones wrote:

> I was able to validate the code. Is there any way you can possibly
> look at it again? Please.

Ok, that's a start. You do have some CSS errors, too.

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devitawellness.com% 2F%3Furl%3D%2Fpub%2Felecpoll.asp>

The resulting page, though, is still a large empty blue box "for the
month of August"...

Are you: http://www.quality-computing.com/ ?
...a large empty *dark* blue box. That site has the same problems. What
do you use to generate these pages? They are so intense they can't
possibly be hand-coded...

--
-bts

mjones

On Aug 6, 1:56 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mjones wrote:
> > I was able to validate the code. Is there any way you can possibly
> > look at it again? Please.

> Ok, that's a start. You do have some CSS errors, too.
>
> <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dev...>
>
> The resulting page, though, is still a large empty blue box "for the
> month of August"...
>
> Are you: http://www.quality-computing.com/?
> ..a large empty *dark* blue box. That site has the same problems. What
> do you use to generate these pages? They are so intense they can't
> possibly be hand-coded...
>
> --
> -bts

Yes, I'm Quality Computing. Yes, same basic coding. I don't need to
tell you that Project Management is my thing, not html. I am getting
somewhat better with time (www.minusforty.ca), but still have a
considerable way to go. Also, the quality standard is set by the
client - how much time (read money) they give me to spend on it. It's
been my experience that once they see it on their screen, that's all
they care. My clients visualize the page as being typed in Word. On
the other hand, it's partly me learning on the job so to speak, too.
I really enjoy the design and wording aspects, but I'm not a
programmer, and prefer to employ programmers for web development
projects.

Yes, hand coded if I understand what you mean. I use HomeSite, and
because I type fast, I generally type the code I remember or just
TopStyle Lite (in HomeSite) to pick options.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'large empty *dark* blue box". This
website works in IE6, IE7 and pretty much in FireFox, has been for
several years, i.e. www.devitawellness.com works. Similarly, so does
www.energywellnessstudies.com. And the 'month of August'? Whatever
do you mean? It sounds like you're into the Tetigi software (the
webstats stuff) from the bottom of the pages. What browser do you
use?

Thanks for pointing me to the CSS validator. It will be useful
because I'm not sure about valid options at times. It's one thing
that makes me nuts. In HomeSite, when you right click a tag to edit
it and choose a StyleSheet style, you get TopStyle Lite. Then you
pick your styles (like font-style), but more often than not the styles
do nothing. It would be good if only the styles that are valid for
that tag will show in the list. I think I have to pick the right
thing from the Style Inspector drop down (I've got CSS2), but I'm not
sure hope that works. I just added that to my very long to do list.

Thanks again and sorry for being so green at this. Maybe I can help
you with project management sometime; I teach it.

Michele

John Hosking

mjones wrote:
> On Aug 6, 1:56 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:

>> The resulting page, though, is still a large empty blue box "for the
>> month of August"...
>>
>> Are you: http://www.quality-computing.com/?
>> ..a large empty *dark* blue box. That site has the same problems.

> I'm not sure what you mean by a 'large empty *dark* blue box". This
> website works in IE6, IE7 and pretty much in FireFox, has been for
> several years, i.e. www.devitawellness.com works. Similarly, so does
> www.energywellnessstudies.com. And the 'month of August'? Whatever
> do you mean? It sounds like you're into the Tetigi software (the
> webstats stuff) from the bottom of the pages. What browser do you
> use?

Beauregard tends to travel unencumbered by JavaScript. With my JS turned
off I see vast tracts of empty space on (the default pages of) both the
sites mentioned. Doesn't matter what browser.

--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

mjones

On Aug 6, 2:47 pm, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> mjones wrote:
> > On Aug 6, 1:56 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
> >> The resulting page, though, is still a large empty blue box "for the
> >> month of August"...

> >> Are you: http://www.quality-computing.com/?
> >> ..a large empty *dark* blue box. That site has the same problems.

> > I'm not sure what you mean by a 'large empty *dark* blue box". This
> > website works in IE6, IE7 and pretty much in FireFox, has been for
> > several years, i.e.www.devitawellness.comworks. Similarly, so does
> >www.energywellnessstudies.com. And the 'month of August'? Whatever
> > do you mean? It sounds like you're into the Tetigi software (the
> > webstats stuff) from the bottom of the pages. What browser do you
> > use?

> Beauregard tends to travel unencumbered by JavaScript. With my JS turned
> off I see vast tracts of empty space on (the default pages of) both the
> sites mentioned. Doesn't matter what browser.
>
> --
> John
> Pondering the value of the UIP:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Our user stats show 0.39% with Java disabled and 0.77% with JavaScript
disabled. I guess we're okay then. Whew.

We're getting 42% IE7, 42% IE6 and 15% Mozilla/Netscape5 - all English
(US and Canada). Not a fancy userbase.

My original question was, from this page - http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp
(see link below), why doesn't the result jump down to the name
DeMarco?

www.energywellnessstudies.com?
url=home/faculty.asp#DeMarco',
'DeMarco','toolbar=yes,location=yes,status=no,menu bar=yes,scrollbars=yes,re*
sizable=yes,width=800,height=600')">Dr.
Carolyn DeMarco</a>

I hope someone can help now that I've validated the code.

Thanks again all,

Michele