Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Peer to Peer Connection using ICQ

Peer to Peer Connection using ICQ

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWFuSA==?=

I installed a router yesterday and since then I can't establish a peer to
peer connection using ICQ. The icq page talks about https and proxy
servers. I have no idea what those are. Does anyone know how I can get
rid of this problem?

Thanks,
Marian

mikeFNB

https is the prefix for going to secure sites
proxy server is the thing you will have to go thru (connect) to get ICQ
going
you might need to add the server IP in the routers 'allowed' web pages etc.

there are many sites that can help you.

try http://www.ezlan.net/

first.

mike

"MarianH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed a router yesterday and since then I can't establish a peer to
> peer connection using ICQ. The icq page talks about https and proxy
> servers. I have no idea what those are. Does anyone know how I can

get
> rid of this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Marian

Tony

"MarianH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a router yesterday and since then I can't establish a peer to
> peer connection using ICQ. The icq page talks about https and proxy
> servers. I have no idea what those are. Does anyone know how I can
> get
> rid of this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Marian

Your router is now acting as a 'proxy server' for the internet. In ICQ
there must be a setting somewhere to set up use with a proxy server. You
will need to put in the IP address of the router (a number like
192.168.0.50) and the port number it should connect to (e.g. http is usually
80, Socks is 1080 - but not always!!) check the documentation that came with
the router to see what port numbers you should use (or log on to the router
and see if there is a proxy set up page somewhere which should give you the
port numbers.)

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWFuSA==?=

"Tony" wrote:

> "MarianH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I installed a router yesterday and since then I can't establish a peer to
> > peer connection using ICQ. The icq page talks about https and proxy
> > servers. I have no idea what those are. Does anyone know how I can
> > get
> > rid of this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marian

> Your router is now acting as a 'proxy server' for the internet. In ICQ
> there must be a setting somewhere to set up use with a proxy server. You
> will need to put in the IP address of the router (a number like
> 192.168.0.50) and the port number it should connect to (e.g. http is usually
> 80, Socks is 1080 - but not always!!) check the documentation that came with
> the router to see what port numbers you should use (or log on to the router
> and see if there is a proxy set up page somewhere which should give you the
> port numbers.)
>

> I'm not very computer literate. How do I log on to the router?

Malke

MarianH wrote:

>> Your router is now acting as a 'proxy server' for the internet. In
>> ICQ
>> there must be a setting somewhere to set up use with a proxy server.
>> You will need to put in the IP address of the router (a number like
>> 192.168.0.50) and the port number it should connect to (e.g. http is
>> usually 80, Socks is 1080 - but not always!!) check the documentation
>> that came with the router to see what port numbers you should use (or
>> log on to the router and see if there is a proxy set up page
>> somewhere which should give you the port numbers.)
>>

>> I'm not very computer literate. How do I log on to the router?

You read the documentation that came with the router. Most routers are
configured from a webpage. For example, you would open your browser and
type the address of the router, which would look something like this:

http://192.168.1.1 [enter]

Then you'd get a box to enter the user name and password, which you
would do. You will need to read the manual to get the exact address and
default user name and password.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

anjeepsolution anjeepsolution is offline
Junior Member

hello Sir,

I am having a cyber cafe in it there are 7 computer . And I have taken a hatway connection.And its on a peer to peer network .On all computer internet was there. but now some body has changed the ip address and dns server address of some pc. So please help me of what should i do to connect all computer to internet .