Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > National Geographic Society

National Geographic Society

aniramca@gmail.com

What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
the NGS' photographers?
Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?
Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?
Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
satellites?
Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
Just curious.

Robert Coe

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 17:25:10 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
: the NGS' photographers?
: Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?
: Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?
: Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
: satellites?
: Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
: come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
: Just curious.

Sounds like a Google project to me. Why don't you research the questions there
and let us know what you find?

Noons

On Aug 6, 10:25 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
> the NGS' photographers?

the ones that take photos

> Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?

and Nikon. This is promising:
http://apollo.sese.asu.edu/

> Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?

apparently, yes.

> Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
> satellites?

wouldn't have a clue, sorry.
does Kodak still make lenses?

> Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
> come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?

Dunno. More than likely made in Japan.

> Just curious.

Me 2.

Gordon Freeman

Noons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 10:25 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?

> and Nikon. This is promising:
> http://apollo.sese.asu.edu/

Interesting resource. You can even see the studio lights in some of the
Hasselblad shots of the lunar surface.

In this one, the back wall of the studio is visible:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/ap.../?AS12-46-6868

Stan Beck

NGS photographers own their own gear, and some like Nikon, others like
Canon. Generally, Canon has a greater share of the market. However, there
are situations that call of larger format. Depends upon the subject and the
photographer.

Won't even try to answer the other questions.

--
In the US everything is made in China except Chinese food - it's made in the
US.

Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS
To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
> the NGS' photographers?
> Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?
> Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?
> Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
> satellites?
> Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
> come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
> Just curious.

JohnR66

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
> the NGS' photographers?
> Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?
> Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?
> Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
> satellites?
> Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
> come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
> Just curious.

As far as NGS, I believe it is the photographer's choice of his own
equipment. Some still choose to use film.

I wonder if NGS allowed lower res cameras early on, in the 3-5mp range like
the Canon D30 and some early Nikons.
John

Fat Sam

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
> the NGS' photographers?
> Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?
> Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?
> Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
> satellites?
> Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
> come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
> Just curious.

I know that the UK military uses mostly Zeiss lenses for its aeriel
recconnaissance and survey imagery, although they also use Vinten equipment
too.
Seriously large format stuff producing 9x9 inch negatives.

Noons

On Aug 6, 9:53 pm, Gordon Freeman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?

> > and Nikon. This is promising:
> >http://apollo.sese.asu.edu/

> Interesting resource. You can even see the studio lights in some of the
> Hasselblad shots of the lunar surface.
>
> In this one, the back wall of the studio is visible:http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/ap.../?AS12-46-6868

is that from the same source? I don't think so.

frederick

JohnR66 wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
>> the NGS' photographers?
>> Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?
>> Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?
>> Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
>> satellites?
>> Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
>> come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
>> Just curious.
>>

> As far as NGS, I believe it is the photographer's choice of his own
> equipment. Some still choose to use film.
>
> I wonder if NGS allowed lower res cameras early on, in the 3-5mp range like
> the Canon D30 and some early Nikons.
> John

IIRC the first "all digital" article published by NG was shot using a
Nikon D1x and D100 (5.5 and 6mp) cameras. It was an article on war
planes, I think photographed by Joe McNally:
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/...re1/index.html
If you search the NG website, you can easily find links like this:
http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n.../gallery1.html
Which may dispel some of the myth around equipment that pros use, and
about use of digital cameras in publications.

Gordon Freeman

Noons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > and Nikon. This is promising: http://apollo.sese.asu.edu/

>> Interesting resource. You can even see the studio lights in some of the
>> Hasselblad shots of the lunar surface.
>>
>> In this one, the back wall of the studio is

visible:http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/ap.../?AS12-46-6868

> is that from the same source? I don't think so.

the original link leads to it if you click on "Space Exploration Resources"
then Earth's Moon and then the Apollo Hasselblad link. Those were the only
actual Hasselblad images I could find.