Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network - Can't connect

Wireless Network - Can't connect

ETSaum

Confused here. Have three machines, as follows

- Windows XP Home desktop, cat5 connection to Linksys router, in turn
connected to DSL modem (printer server, file server, etc.)
- Windows XP Home laptop (no other networks configured)
- Windows XP Pro laptop (configured for my domain at work, through SBS
2003)

Connecting to internet fine through all three... but now my actual
networked connections (to desktop external HDs, printer, etc.) has
gone AWOL.

Until recently, I could get the XP Pro laptop to follow the mapped
drives to the server, and connect wirelessly. Sometimes, if I had
restarted laptop at work last time instead of hibernating, I would
need to restart to connect to network at home, and gain access to
desktop, external HDs, printer, etc. Whatever.

Now XP Pro laptop is not finding connections to desktop ever. Also,
XP Home laptop has always been sporadic in finding it. Both are
connecting to the router, just not to the desktop computer. Have gone
through and made sure that the workgroup is the same on the two XP
Home machines (the XP Pro machine is a member of a domain at work, but
I use a variation on the domain name as the home workgroup name - what
the XP Home laptop used to use to connect to office domain).

Only things that have been installed lately are CCleaner and the
newest version of Adaware on the XP Pro laptop and the desktop.

Have run all of the Windows network setups, etc., all workgroup names
are appropriate. Has Group Policy somehow overriden the previous
settings?

Lost like a newbie, and hating it...

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Assuming they can ping each by name, it could be the computer browser issue. This search result may help,

Computer BrowserResolutions: This is mostly like master browser issue. The simple solution is stopping Computer Browser service on the XP. To stop Computer Browser service, ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE