Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Select Specific MAC Address

Select Specific MAC Address

Skier7667

Hi
I have a Netgear wireless adaptor connected to my PC via USB and it is
functioning properly.

I have Windows XP and problem that I'm faced with is that I have two MAC
addresses being picked up by my wireless adaptor. One signal is stronger
than
the other and it always defaults to the stronger signal for obvious reasons.
How can I force Windows or configure it to "lock in" to the weaker incoming
MAC address. The driver for the wireless adaptor does show both and even if
select the weaker signal MAC address, it ill select the stronger one. So
forcing Windows to select the MAC address that I want would be desired.

How can I do that? I didn't see anywhere for example in TCP/IP Properties to
force it. I can see my MAC physical address and you can select IP addresses,
Default gateway, DNS server, Subnet Mask setting, etc., but nothing about
the
"incoming" MAC address.

Please help!

Thanks

Barb Bowman

I can't tell what you mean by mac addresses. do you mean SSID's? do
they both have the same name? do you have a router? change YOUR SSID
to something other than the default. turn on security, WPA2 if
possible, otherwise WPA.

If this does not answer your question, what exactly do you mean by
incoming MAC address? example?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Philip Herlihy

Skier7667 wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Netgear wireless adaptor connected to my PC via USB and it is
> functioning properly.
>
> I have Windows XP and problem that I'm faced with is that I have two MAC
> addresses being picked up by my wireless adaptor. One signal is stronger
> than
> the other and it always defaults to the stronger signal for obvious reasons.
> How can I force Windows or configure it to "lock in" to the weaker incoming
> MAC address. The driver for the wireless adaptor does show both and even if
> select the weaker signal MAC address, it ill select the stronger one. So
> forcing Windows to select the MAC address that I want would be desired.
>
> How can I do that? I didn't see anywhere for example in TCP/IP Properties to
> force it. I can see my MAC physical address and you can select IP addresses,
> Default gateway, DNS server, Subnet Mask setting, etc., but nothing about
> the
> "incoming" MAC address.
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks

I don't have a wireless machine in front of me at the moment, so I'm
hazy about exact names and settings, but if you look for "Advanced
Settings" in the dialogue where you select a particular connection,
you'll see "profiles" or "preferred networks". Delete the one you don't
want, and look for options to connect only to preferred networks. That
should fix it.

Phil, London

Philip Herlihy

Skier7667 wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Netgear wireless adaptor connected to my PC via USB and it is
> functioning properly.
>
> I have Windows XP and problem that I'm faced with is that I have two MAC
> addresses being picked up by my wireless adaptor. One signal is stronger
> than
> the other and it always defaults to the stronger signal for obvious reasons.
> How can I force Windows or configure it to "lock in" to the weaker incoming
> MAC address. The driver for the wireless adaptor does show both and even if
> select the weaker signal MAC address, it ill select the stronger one. So
> forcing Windows to select the MAC address that I want would be desired.
>
> How can I do that? I didn't see anywhere for example in TCP/IP Properties to
> force it. I can see my MAC physical address and you can select IP addresses,
> Default gateway, DNS server, Subnet Mask setting, etc., but nothing about
> the
> "incoming" MAC address.
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks

In my previous post I was assuming you're using the Windows built-in
client software (Windows Zero Configuration thingy). The principle is
the same for any client, so if you're using the Netgear one, it'll be
along the same lines.

By the way, you might like to make sure the two networks are on
different channels. It's difficult (impossible?) to tell via the
Windows client, but you could download NetStumber (free) which will tell
you.

Phil

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Clean up the preferred Networks list in the Wireless manger (WZC), and leave
there only the Wireless Network that you want to connect to.
Uncheck the Automatically connect to none-preferred networks (in the advance
menu to the right).
Looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Skier7667" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have a Netgear wireless adaptor connected to my PC via USB and it is
> functioning properly.
>
> I have Windows XP and problem that I'm faced with is that I have two MAC
> addresses being picked up by my wireless adaptor. One signal is stronger
> than
> the other and it always defaults to the stronger signal for obvious
> reasons.
> How can I force Windows or configure it to "lock in" to the weaker
> incoming
> MAC address. The driver for the wireless adaptor does show both and even
> if i
> select the weaker signal MAC address, it ill select the stronger one. So
> forcing Windows to select the MAC address that I want would be desired.
>
> How can I do that? I didn't see anywhere for example in TCP/IP Properties
> force it. I can see my MAC physical address and you can select IP
> addresses,
> Default gateway, DNS server, Subnet Mask setting, etc., but nothing about
> the
> "incoming" MAC address.
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks

Pavel A.

Hi,
The behavior you're seing is called roaming.
The concept is that several Access Points can have same network name (a.k.a. ESSID or SSID ), so the wireless card can
automatically switch to one that has the best signal.
This setup assumes that all APs that share same SSID are connected to same backbone network -
any one of them provides exactly same network connectivity to the client.

By default, most wireless drivers assume this type of setup.

It seems that this is not the case for you: your two APs have same SSID name but do not sit on same backbone (otherwise you
would not want to distinguish them).

Solution: give different SSID names to APs/routers that are not related.

Regards,
--PA

"Skier7667" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have a Netgear wireless adaptor connected to my PC via USB and it is
> functioning properly.
>
> I have Windows XP and problem that I'm faced with is that I have two MAC
> addresses being picked up by my wireless adaptor. One signal is stronger than
> the other and it always defaults to the stronger signal for obvious reasons.
> How can I force Windows or configure it to "lock in" to the weaker incoming
> MAC address. The driver for the wireless adaptor does show both and even if i
> select the weaker signal MAC address, it ill select the stronger one. So
> forcing Windows to select the MAC address that I want would be desired.
>
> How can I do that? I didn't see anywhere for example in TCP/IP Properties to
> force it. I can see my MAC physical address and you can select IP addresses,
> Default gateway, DNS server, Subnet Mask setting, etc., but nothing about the
> "incoming" MAC address.
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks

Skier7667

Sorry I haven't gotten back, I've read all your responses. Let me explain a
little more.

My wireless adaptor is a Netgear adaptor and when you install the software
for the drivers, it also installs its Configuration Manager. It by default
will disable the Windows one. When this Config manager loads it shows me the
available networks and their signal strengths. There are two with the name
or SSID - Netgear and each has a reported MAC address which is of course
different. Even when I select the one I desire, which happens to have a
weaker signal, it will still connect me to the one with the stronger signal.
I've tried even using the keyboard hoping that it would respond quicker than
moving the mouse to select, apply, etc., but every time it will connect to
the stronger signal which I do not want.

That is why I'm asking, if I can force my PC to lock onto a specific MAC
address. If I was able to do this, than it would not matter that the SSID
are the same. A few times when the signal strengths are close to each other,
it has connected to the weaker signal, but the minute there is a slight
variation, it will lock back to the stronger one and I lose my connection.

It was recommended that I change the SSID, but that has to be done at the
router level - Am I correct?

When I disable the Netgear Config Manager and let Windows manage my wireless
connections, it seems that Windows sees the two, but only reports the one
with the stronger signal, so I can't locate the weaker signal one to select
it. I've tried using IPCONFIG/RELEASE and IPCONFIG/RENEW, but this has made
no difference.

Is there something I can tweak in the registry that would allow me to bypass
this MAC address selection manually. I guess Windows is trying to be "dummy
proof" and has a mind of its own in trying to help me connect to the
stronger signal, which would normally be the objective. Hope this helps
clarify what I was saying in my original comment on this thread. Any ideas
or suggestions?

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uhmz%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> The behavior you're seing is called roaming.
> The concept is that several Access Points can have same network name
> (a.k.a. ESSID or SSID ), so the wireless card can automatically switch to
> one that has the best signal.
> This setup assumes that all APs that share same SSID are connected to same
> backbone network -
> any one of them provides exactly same network connectivity to the client.
>
> By default, most wireless drivers assume this type of setup.
>
> It seems that this is not the case for you: your two APs have same SSID
> name but do not sit on same backbone (otherwise you would not want to
> distinguish them).
>
> Solution: give different SSID names to APs/routers that are not related.
>
> Regards,
> --PA
>

> "Skier7667" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> I have a Netgear wireless adaptor connected to my PC via USB and it is
>> functioning properly.
>>
>> I have Windows XP and problem that I'm faced with is that I have two MAC
>> addresses being picked up by my wireless adaptor. One signal is stronger
>> than
>> the other and it always defaults to the stronger signal for obvious
>> reasons.
>> How can I force Windows or configure it to "lock in" to the weaker
>> incoming
>> MAC address. The driver for the wireless adaptor does show both and even
>> if i
>> select the weaker signal MAC address, it ill select the stronger one. So
>> forcing Windows to select the MAC address that I want would be desired.
>>
>> How can I do that? I didn't see anywhere for example in TCP/IP Properties
>> force it. I can see my MAC physical address and you can select IP
>> addresses,
>> Default gateway, DNS server, Subnet Mask setting, etc., but nothing about
>> the
>> "incoming" MAC address.
>>
>> Please help!
>>
>> Thanks

Barb Bowman

You REALLY need to login to the router and change the name from the
default name of Netgear. That is the solution you want to use.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Chuck [MVP]

> [...]

>It was recommended that I change the SSID, but that has to be done at the
>router level - Am I correct?
>
>When I disable the Netgear Config Manager and let Windows manage my wireless
>connections, it seems that Windows sees the two, but only reports the one
>with the stronger signal, so I can't locate the weaker signal one to select
>it. I've tried using IPCONFIG/RELEASE and IPCONFIG/RENEW, but this has made
>no difference.
>
>Is there something I can tweak in the registry that would allow me to bypass
>this MAC address selection manually. I guess Windows is trying to be "dummy
>proof" and has a mind of its own in trying to help me connect to the
>stronger signal, which would normally be the objective. Hope this helps
>clarify what I was saying in my original comment on this thread. Any ideas

The SSID will have to be changed at the router. Hoping that the "Netgear"
router, with weaker signal, is yours, just change the SSID.

Of course, one should ask why the signal from your router is so weak?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...-ethernet.html

Or is it not your router?

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

Pavel A.

"Skier7667" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there something I can tweak in the registry that would allow me to bypass this MAC address selection manually.

Yes, some wireless drivers and their management software allow
this option (like "mandatory AP" in PROset ).
But this really depends on the driver, and your's does not seem to allow this.
So the common working
solution is that you change the SSID of your AP.

>I guess Windows is trying to be "dummy proof" and has a mind of its own in trying to help me connect to the stronger signal,
>which would normally be the objective.

Yep, this is what it tries to do.

Regards,
--PA