Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Linksys And Cable Modem

Linksys And Cable Modem

Parker

Hello All,

I'm sure this question has been asked before and I had not seen the answer
so here it goes again. First question is when installing a wireless router
with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to router)do you NOT
hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN connection output?
or is it required. When using the USB connection I can connect to the
internet with the USB software but it does create another LAN connection in
the network places. The router does not get connected to the internet
because its using the other LAN connection. I guess the real question is
how is the router to be hooked up? Cable to Cable modem/output with rj45 to
router input/then output to LAN connection on PC? seems right to me. My
concern is, is the USB connection necessary? I'm pretty new at this! The
other PC is picking up the wireless access of the router but not the
internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!

Thank You for any Help in Advance

mikeFNB

"Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I'm sure this question has been asked before and I had not seen the

answer
> so here it goes again. First question is when installing a wireless

router
> with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to router)do you

NOT
> hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN connection output?
> or is it required.

no it is not
then link via cat5 cable RJ-45 CM to WAN socket on router.
then from the LAN router sockets back to your PC or via wireless to PC.

power EVERYTHING OFF!! (disconnect mains)

power CM let it settle
power router let it settle
power PC's

you might need to enable all PC's to get IP automatically and enable DCHP on
router

a good site is here:

http://www.ezlan.net/

mike

When using the USB connection I can connect to the
> internet with the USB software but it does create another LAN connection

in
> the network places. The router does not get connected to the internet
> because its using the other LAN connection. I guess the real question is
> how is the router to be hooked up? Cable to Cable modem/output with rj45

> router input/then output to LAN connection on PC? seems right to me. My
> concern is, is the USB connection necessary? I'm pretty new at this! The
> other PC is picking up the wireless access of the router but not the
> internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!
>
> Thank You for any Help in Advance

Parker

Thank You MikeFNB. I really appreciate you response. That makes sense to
me. I didn't think I needed the USB connection because I thought it would
bypass the WAN and LAN connections. I also believe I may have had the wrong
username and password listed in the router. I let you know how it went.
Thanks Again.

"mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message
news:QvXzd.688$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'm sure this question has been asked before and I had not seen the

> answer
>> so here it goes again. First question is when installing a wireless

> router
>> with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to router)do you

> NOT
>> hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN connection
>> output?
>> or is it required.

> no it is not
> then link via cat5 cable RJ-45 CM to WAN socket on router.
> then from the LAN router sockets back to your PC or via wireless to PC.
>
> power EVERYTHING OFF!! (disconnect mains)
>
> power CM let it settle
> power router let it settle
> power PC's
>
> you might need to enable all PC's to get IP automatically and enable DCHP
> on
> router
>
> a good site is here:
>
> http://www.ezlan.net/
>
> mike
>

> When using the USB connection I can connect to the
>> internet with the USB software but it does create another LAN connection

> in
>> the network places. The router does not get connected to the internet
>> because its using the other LAN connection. I guess the real question is
>> how is the router to be hooked up? Cable to Cable modem/output with rj45

>> router input/then output to LAN connection on PC? seems right to me. My
>> concern is, is the USB connection necessary? I'm pretty new at this!
>> The
>> other PC is picking up the wireless access of the router but not the
>> internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!
>>
>> Thank You for any Help in Advance

mikeFNB

urm.. just be carefull about changing username/password on router page
that should not make any diff.
it is only there to protect the config not anything to do with isp
connections etc.

mike
"Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank You MikeFNB. I really appreciate you response. That makes sense to
> me. I didn't think I needed the USB connection because I thought it would
> bypass the WAN and LAN connections. I also believe I may have had the

wrong
> username and password listed in the router. I let you know how it went.
> Thanks Again.
>

> "mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message
> news:QvXzd.688$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I'm sure this question has been asked before and I had not seen the

> > answer
> >> so here it goes again. First question is when installing a wireless

> > router
> >> with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to router)do you

> > NOT
> >> hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN connection
> >> output?
> >> or is it required.

> > no it is not
> > then link via cat5 cable RJ-45 CM to WAN socket on router.
> > then from the LAN router sockets back to your PC or via wireless to PC.
> >
> > power EVERYTHING OFF!! (disconnect mains)
> >
> > power CM let it settle
> > power router let it settle
> > power PC's
> >
> > you might need to enable all PC's to get IP automatically and enable

DCHP
> > on
> > router
> >
> > a good site is here:
> >
> > http://www.ezlan.net/
> >
> > mike
> >

> > When using the USB connection I can connect to the
> >> internet with the USB software but it does create another LAN

connection
> > in
> >> the network places. The router does not get connected to the internet
> >> because its using the other LAN connection. I guess the real question

is
> >> how is the router to be hooked up? Cable to Cable modem/output with

rj45
> >> router input/then output to LAN connection on PC? seems right to me.

My
> >> concern is, is the USB connection necessary? I'm pretty new at this!
> >> The
> >> other PC is picking up the wireless access of the router but not the
> >> internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!
> >>
> >> Thank You for any Help in Advance

Yves Konigshofer

Most cable modems are configured by the ISP to only assign a single IP
address. Thus, you can connect a single computer to either the USB or
ethernet port. You should not simultaneously connect a computer (or router)
to both the USB and ethernet port (one will not work). If your ISP allows
for more than one IP address, you should connect everything to the ethernet
port.

The usual reason for getting a router is to take the single ISP-assigned IP
address and share it among multiple computers (there are also some benefits
from a security point of view). Thus, the router is connected directly to
the cable modem.

If your cable modem has already issued the single ISP-assigned IP address to
one of your computers, you may have to turn the modem off and on again to
allow it to assign that address to the router. Connect to your router and
check if it has been assigned an IP address (and gateway and DNS servers).
Normally, this should have been done with DHCP, which should be the default
setting. Your ISP may be different, so configure your router according to
the instructions for connecting your computer to the modem by ethernet.

In some cases, the cable modem may be configured to only assign an IP
address to a computer with a particular ethernet hardware address. If this
is the case, use your router's MAC address cloning and enter the hardware
address of your computer. You can find this address using the command
"ipconfig /all" in a command prompt and looking for the "Physical Address"
field.

If your computer is properly connected to the router, the command "ipconfig
/all" should show an address like 192.168.0.100 and the same DNS servers as
the router. The default gateway should be the IP address of the router
(probably 192.168.0.1).

-Yves

"Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I'm sure this question has been asked before and I had not seen the
> answer so here it goes again. First question is when installing a
> wireless router with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to
> router)do you NOT hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN
> connection output? or is it required. When using the USB connection I can
> connect to the internet with the USB software but it does create another
> LAN connection in the network places. The router does not get connected
> to the internet because its using the other LAN connection. I guess the
> real question is how is the router to be hooked up? Cable to Cable
> modem/output with rj45 to router input/then output to LAN connection on
> PC? seems right to me. My concern is, is the USB connection necessary?
> I'm pretty new at this! The other PC is picking up the wireless access of
> the router but not the internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!
>
> Thank You for any Help in Advance

Parker

Thank you Yves. I will get back to all of you as soon as I try these
suggestions.
Thank You Again

"Yves Konigshofer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> answer so here it goes again. First question is when installing a
>> wireless router with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to
>> router)do you NOT hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN
>> connection output? or is it required. When using the USB connection I can
>> connect to the internet with the USB software but it does create another
>> LAN connection in the network places. The router does not get connected
>> to the internet because its using the other LAN connection. I guess the
>> real question is how is the router to be hooked up? Cable to Cable
>> modem/output with rj45 to router input/then output to LAN connection on
>> PC? seems right to me. My concern is, is the USB connection necessary?
>> I'm pretty new at this! The other PC is picking up the wireless access
>> of the router but not the internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4=?=

what you can do is buy a U.S.B. hub, and hook up the cable modem, and each
computer by their u.s.b. slot. Although it will probably only run 12 mbs
which is slower than rj-45 it will still be fast ebough for your internet.
So in the end your internet will be u.s.b, and if you want to you can hook up
all your computers together with ethernet, to us a print server or another rj
device.
Or another way is to buy a linksys cable modem, and give your internet
provider the MAC address located on the bottom of it to "activate" it. Then
hook up all your computers via rj-45.

-Brian

"Parker" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm sure this question has been asked before and I had not seen the answer
> so here it goes again. First question is when installing a wireless router
> with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to router)do you NOT
> hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN connection output?
> or is it required. When using the USB connection I can connect to the
> internet with the USB software but it does create another LAN connection in
> the network places. The router does not get connected to the internet
> because its using the other LAN connection. I guess the real question is
> how is the router to be hooked up? Cable to Cable modem/output with rj45 to
> router input/then output to LAN connection on PC? seems right to me. My
> concern is, is the USB connection necessary? I'm pretty new at this! The
> other PC is picking up the wireless access of the router but not the
> internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!
>
> Thank You for any Help in Advance

Parker

Thank You All for the suggestions. We do now have joy! I followed all of
the ideas and last night I got it hooked up with no problems. I treated it
as though it was the first time the internet was getting hooked up. All
went great and the other PC found the access point and went right on line.

Thanks Once Again to All

news:(E-Mail Removed)...