Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Pyscripter

Pyscripter

RichSaneSwindler

I think that pyscripter is the most promising Python IDE around and I
am exciting about its possibilities. However, I find a few issues with
it annoying enough that I don't use it. They seem easily fixed in
which case I think it would be superior to most IDEs. I am wondering
if any users out there would like to add to/debate this list of
benefits and issues (for reference I am using Pyscripter

Pyscripter Benefits:

- very fast, stable GUI (compare this with Wing IDE which is
horrendously slow)
- screen lay it clean and uncluttered
- source completion is lightning fast and I like the option to search
files for selected modules
- source completion searches submodules (as in "os.path.")
- function search, etc.

Pyscripter Issues:

1. smart tabbing:
a. If I place the cursor anywhere in a, hitting the tab should
properly indent the line to (most often) the unique correct place or
(less often) to its best guess as to where to tab. Right now the
editor inserts a tab, which I never want to do.
a Smart tabbing for multiline expressions (eg expressions broken
within parens) does not work well.

2. there is no source completion for local variables (or at least I
cannot figure out how to use it). This is a major difference between
it and Wing IDE.

3. source completion is easily fooled. If I type "os.path.join(fnam"
and then backspace to "os.path.jo", the completion menu does not come
back up. The same statement goes for the tooltips for functions.

4. lack of emacs key bindings as an option: yes you can add them, but
adding shortcuts is very difficult due to the fact that key bindings
are listed in both the IDE and Editor options section.

5. poor module handling in debugger mode/within the editor. I have not
fully figured out what is going on, but a modules behavior during
debugging or execution within the editor does not fully match behavior
outside of it. E.g., when you run a module in debugger mode its
behavior is not the same as if you run it from the command prompt. I
think that the module is not loaded. To see this, create a module and
type "print __file__" in some function. This will work from the
command prompt but not from the module. If you add "from module-name
import __file__" this solves it, but you should not have to do that.

6. No "Doc String" list. It would be nice if when you put the cursor
over a function a window would display the full docstrings of the
function.

7. The function tool tips (ie what you see when you hover over a
function or open parens) are primitive looking and could show more of
the functions docstrings.
- poor module re-loading. If I import moduleA into moduleB and then
change moduleA, when I debug, the change is not reloaded (as far as I
can tell). This is aggravating.

8. lack of "IPython" like interface in the shell. Would be nice if
emacs keybindings were available.

9. (would be nice) Refactoring capabilities (ala Eclipse's
capabilities, especially for Python)

10. The web page http://pyscripter.googlepages.com/ has a much newer
build than http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductId=4.

I want to emphasize again that despite this lists length I think the
core aspects of the system (speed and stability) are far and away
better than anything else I have used.

Thank you,

Neil Chriss

Stef Mientki

RichSaneSwindler wrote:
> I think that pyscripter is the most promising Python IDE around

but for windows only !
and I
> am exciting about its possibilities. However, I find a few issues with
> it annoying enough that I don't use it. They seem easily fixed in
> which case I think it would be superior to most IDEs. I am wondering
> if any users out there would like to add to/debate this list of
> benefits and issues (for reference I am using Pyscripter

Neil,
PyScripter has it's own discussion list
http://groups.google.com/group/PyScripter/topics?hl=en
and from my own experiences,
I know that Kiriakos (the designer) is very willing to listen to good ideas,
and if they are good he'll implement them in no time !

cheers,
Stef

RichSaneSwindler

On Aug 5, 4:45 am, Stef Mientki <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> RichSaneSwindler wrote:
> > I think that pyscripter is the most promising Python IDE around

> but for windows only !
> and I
>
> > am exciting about its possibilities. However, I find a few issues with
> > it annoying enough that I don't use it. They seem easily fixed in
> > which case I think it would be superior to most IDEs. I am wondering
> > if any users out there would like to add to/debate this list of
> > benefits and issues (for reference I am using Pyscripter

> Neil,
> PyScripter has it's own discussion list
> http://groups.google.com/group/PyScripter/topics?hl=en
> and from my own experiences,
> I know that Kiriakos (the designer) is very willing to listen to good ideas,
> and if they are good he'll implement them in no time !
>
> cheers,
> Stef

Thanks, I will copy my message there.

Neil

Pb with 2.5.2 & PyScripter Méta-MCI \(MVP\) Python 6 03-01-2008 10:04 PM
pyscripter to slow Gigs_ Python 1 05-03-2007 04:05 PM
pyscripter on windows vista gigs Python 0 04-04-2007 06:53 PM
pyscripter Gigs_ Python 1 03-01-2007 03:04 AM
pyscripter Gigs_ Python 1 02-15-2007 02:21 AM

Advertisments